Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Ember

Yugi and Yami discover their feelings for each other, but have to face their own friends because nobody approves of them.
Please help me think of a title. Please!!

Chapter 2 - Ember

Chapter 2 - Ember
Part 1, Chapter 2
"Then, I place Dark Magician of Chaos in attack mode and attack!" Yugi proudly boasted as he tapped away on his calculator. His face turned to disappointment. "Aww, you still have fifty life points left."
Joey chuckled. "Oh darn," he replied sarcastically. His attention turned to his watch. "Oh, sorry, Yug, but I have to get to math for some quick tutoring before class. We'll call it a truce." He grabbed his cards and stuffed them into his bag as he dashed off to class.
"Okay. Bye, Joey!" Yugi called.
Just as he had collected his deck, though, a cruel laugh emerged from behind and Yugi suddenly found himself on the pavement again, this time with a scraped knee and bruised elbow.
A couple of older boys in football uniforms stared down while kicking his cards.
"Stop it!" Yugi commanded. He knew they wanted him to cry, but he refused to give them his tears.
The boys continued to tease him by ripping his cards and calling, "How sad. You play cards all by yourself! What's wrong? Too wimpy to play a real game?" They tugged and their jerseys and continued to snicker.
As they teased the boy, a crowd formed around them and began chanting the classic, "Fight! Fight!" Yugi glanced at the people circling him. Not only did he see strangers laughing at him, but his own classmates as well! People he had trusted! He tried his best to fight instinct, but eventually he let a salty drop slip to the ground and simply stood there. The two boys snickered and said, "That's more like it." Yugi began to relax as they passed, leaving him, but a fist suddenly landed square in his face and he cried out loudly.
"If you want to be a man, start by sucking it up and not crying!" The cruelty lingered in the air as people left, disappointed to miss out on a fight.
Down the hall, Yami turned a corner, looking up from his math notes. He gasped and raced over to Yugi, who had knelt over as over as blood dripped from his nose.
"Who did this to you?!" He yelled, but soon followed up with a sad, calm, "I'm sorry, little Yugi, that I couldn't protect you." He held the sleeve of his jacket to Yugi's face to stop the bleeding.
Yugi laughed weakly. "I don't want you fighting again. Besides, this happens all the time." He looked up with large optimistic eyes.
Yami sighed as he picked up Yugi's cards. "Maybe you should leave these at home..."
"Are you kidding?" Yugi interrupted. "Duel Monsters is my favorite game! I play it all the time. Do you want to play right now?" He had completely forgotten about the fight and instead felt completely safe with Yami.
Yami gathered all his books and shifted his weight to carry them. "Actually, I have a lot to do right now and I'm late. Why don't you come with me?" He didn't want to leave Yugi alone.
A sigh slipped from Yugi's mouth and he hardly had the chance to breathe again before Yami knelt down in front of him and took his hand. "Come on," he prodded. "I want you with me, aibou." Yami suddenly froze and his eyes widened, afraid because he had let his secret nickname slip into the open. Yugi looked at him curiously, but then smiled and agreed.
That day had changed a little something between them, and as time sped by, Yugi experienced a strange new sensation while with Yami. He admired the older boy and while his life became happier each day, he became more confused about his emotions. One night, he strayed from his normal life and lost himself in those emotions.

Yugi sat quietly at the kitchen table in the dim evening light, eating his soup for dinner, alone. Grandpa had to close the shop and would return shortly. Yugi poked at the potatoes with his fork, reflecting on the day and his life.
When was the last day I did not get picked on? Even my friends don't have time for me to protect me. Even Grandpa isn't here taking care of me. He paused, changing his mind. It's not their fault, though. But what about all those people I don't know, who have no right to pick on me because I'm smaller than them, or because I have different interests, or because I dress this way??" He threw his fork down, sending globs of cheese and celery airborne. Rage began to build in his mind. "Just watch me for one day to see the pathetic story of my life! Why do I, of all people, have to suffer? I always try to help others! I--"
Riinngg! Yugi jumped and tripped from his surprise. He looked up at the phone from the hardwood floor in shock, but refrained from picking it up, afraid that the caller may have somehow heard his yelling.
The answering machine intercepted the call. "Hi. You've reached the Moutous' house. Leave a message and we'll get back to you." Beep.
A moment of silence.
"Yugi..." An exasperated voice began. It was Yami's! Yugi still did not move, though.
"Yugi, please pick up if you're home. I need you."
I need you. Just the words Yugi needed at that very moment. Still no answer. Yugi needed more medicinal words and did not want to interfere.
"I'm just here in my apartment, alone. I can't stand school any more. All the pressure is driving me insane. I just need someone to vent to, and you're my best friend, so...Well, look," Another pause of thought. "I'm grateful to have you, and I hope you call me back soon." Click.
What had just happened? Yami needs me? He's grateful to have me? Yugi let it all sink into his mind. He did not realize the seriousness of Yami's tone because he was so absorbed in his own problems. He did want to help Yami, though. He wanted to protect him, like Yami had done so many times. A new feeling stirred in his stomach and made Yugi wonder if he had found love. Could he be...bisexual? He considered several recent times when he had given up a rendezvous with his friends to invite Yami to his house. He had even missed a Duel Monsters tournament to go out for dinner and a movie with him, just like a real couple.
He wondered about the feeling often after that night.

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

thiefchild on April 24, 2006, 3:20:40 PM

thiefchild on
thiefchildoooh!!! please rite more!! me luvs dis!

dieviete on January 28, 2006, 9:32:44 PM

dieviete on
dievieteYou re so hot! *hugs Yami*

yamis_girl on January 28, 2006, 3:31:02 AM

yamis_girl on
yamis_girlwow rite more plx ive added u to my favs and evry thi nplzz rite more

Yugi_Abigail on September 5, 2005, 11:11:51 AM

Yugi_Abigail on
Yugi_AbigailPlz, keep writing! I love this! ^-^