Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 73 - The Next Guardian Issue # 73

A Fan-fic about the guardian in training. Don't worry, there are two guardians, Knuckles isn't done yet.
This is going to be an actual series, so check back for updates!

Chapter 73 - The Next Guardian Issue # 73

Chapter 73 - The Next Guardian Issue # 73


“Amazing recovery, Ekyt.” Espio and Mighty were watching him spar with Knuckles and Linda-Su. He ducked both strikes and returned with two of his own, flipping back. “Nice work today.” Ekyt nodded, winded.

Ekyt thanked everyone and left for a waterfall. Only he and a couple others knew about it. He stripped off his clothes and let the water fall over his body. Focus. Try the meditation. That's it. He stifled his pain as the water hit his bloodied bicep. Stupid-huh? Someone coming. He ducked behind the rocks, swearing to himself as he stubbed his toe. Bad time to be naked. I never get caught with my pants down…

He watched as a weathered old echidna came by, facing the other way.

“I know you're here, boy! Just listen.” Familiar voice. Dmitri…yeah, that was it. “You are in grave danger. I don't know why I care, but the Dark Legion has aligned with…” He never finished the sentence. Ekyt ducked into the cave where he stored his clothes and towel and threw them back on. He dove out to check on Dmitri. A fist to the jaw met him. He turned to attack and found himself staring at a little echidna girl. She stopped her attack and looked at him. “By Edmund…Can it be? The prophecy…” She shook her head. “Listen, human. I know your post, guardian of course, but there's no time to explain. Follow me.” She ran off full speed. Ekyt, for some reason, followed her.

Ekyt caught up. “Do you have a name?” he called to her. “Never mind. Not now. When we get to safety, all will be explained.” “Okay, where's safety?” “Just trust me.” He chased after her, finally reaching an entrance to the Grand Conservatory. “Guardian, you have to open it.” Ekyt, still skeptical, pressed his temporary guardian band to the door, then ran his hand over a series of ancient carvings.

The door slid open. “The place is booby trapped, so watch your step.” Ekyt warned her. Lasers fired from every direction. She glided across. “Neat trick.” Ekyt said, ticked off. He vaulted across, one laser singeing his already hurt arm.

The girl was off again. He followed quickly. She finally stopped at another door. “This is the one, guardian.” “You do know I'm not a full guardian yet, right?” Ekyt asked. “Yeah, yeah, open the door.” The girl looked anxious.

Ekyt did, and froze at what he saw. Locke and Grandfather Hawking (remember, from issues 6 and 7 of Knuckles series?) Locke looked up. “Ekyt, this is my Grandfather. You may call him Hawking. He needs your help.” “Of course, how can I be of service?” Ekyt asked. Locke looked down at his unconscious Grandfather. “Take care of him. The Dark Legion has aligned with a team of Bounty Hunters. They are taking hostages. They have discovered this place, and we cannot allow them to take a valued member of my family.” Locke gave him a sideways glance. “A member of our history. Ekyt, we now number you among our own. I place my full trust in you.” Ekyt nodded stupidly. “I'll do it. But please,” he hesitated. “What do I call you, for starters?” Locke smiled at the question. “Respect. Admirable. You may call me Locke, for now. There will come a day when you will call me something else. And your question?”

Ekyt looked at the bored-looking echidna girl. “Who is this?” he asked. She stepped up. “My name is Laura-Le. I am the adopted daughter of Locke. There was no time to explain earlier.”

A rumble shook the ceiling above them. Locke ushered them out of the room. “Go, now. Both of you. It is up to me to defend this place to the last.” Ekyt shook his head. “I won't leave you to die, Locke.” Locke nodded. “Loyalty. Admirable guardian. But go!” Ekyt and Hawking were both surrounded by green. Chaos control had sent them away. Locke sent away Laura-Le as well. It was his time to die, he guessed. But his life would be sold at a high price.



Elsewhere, On Mobius.



Ekyt landed hard, but Hawking's wheelchair landed softly in the grass. Ekyt ran as fast as he dared. A rope shot out at him. “Tough luck mate.” Geoffrey Saint John cracked the seventeen year old so hard he flew into someone's hut…

Shadow, furious, ripped his punching bag in half. Violet (Violet_Rose) watched quietly. “What's on your mind, Shads?” she asked him. Shadow's quills flicked at that. “I've never owed anyone anything before. It burns me up that I do now?” He went back to massacring what was left of the heavy bag. “Huh? Who do you owe?” “Stupid human. He just had to give me that emerald. Violet rolled her eyes. “Shads, he said you don't owe him anything. Remember? You saved his life, he saved yours, you trade. Calm down.” Violet shook her head. “I mean, really. It's stu-“ A wall of the hut came crashing in. Ekyt dusted himself off and sprung up. “What?” Shadow raced after the human. “What happened?” Ekyt gave him a look. “Trouble. Big time. Dark Legion, bounty hunters, the whole deal.” Ekyt tripped over another rope. “Shadow, stop that guy! Whatever happens, don't let him touch the echidna in the wheelchair!” “Fine, this'll pay off my debt.” Ekyt had no clue what he was talking about. “Go get Violet.” Shadow called over his shoulder. “Chaos chamber! Take him to the chaos chamber, I'll meet you there!”

Shadow flew into the skunk at full speed, sending the rogue animal flying into a tree branch. “Chaos Control!” He and the old echidna were now in the chaos chamber.

“Ekyt, what's going on!” Violet looked ticked. “I'll explain later, come with me!” The two ran to the chaos chamber.

When the group met up, Hawking was in trouble. His health was failing. Ekyt was faced with a choice.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Violet_Rose on April 20, 2006, 12:52:16 PM

Violet_Rose on
Violet_RoseAwesome issue! lots of action and suspenese!