Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 79 - The Next Guardian issue 79 temporary quarters

A Fan-fic about the guardian in training. Don't worry, there are two guardians, Knuckles isn't done yet.
This is going to be an actual series, so check back for updates!

Chapter 79 - The Next Guardian issue 79 temporary quarters

Chapter 79 - The Next Guardian issue 79 temporary quarters


Only Ekyt's cane held him up. “Paula?” The young echidna looked up at him, a smile across her face. “The one and only dad. This must be my mom!” She ran over to Linda-Su and hugged her. “So this is what my daughter looks like!” she exclaimed. “As beautiful as her mother.” Ekyt said with a smile.

Paula-Su looked around like she couldn't believe what trees and grass were. In her time, war had ruined the once pleasant landscape of the floating island. It was all roads and craters from bombs. She bent down and ran her hand across the grass, then picked a leaf off a tree. Ekyt and Linda exchanged glances. “Let me show you where I live…” Ekyt's voice trailed off. He had no home. Haven had been his home, and only guardians live there. Linda caught this quick. “Let's go to my house instead. It's closer.”

Paula explained to Linda about the future she was from. She told the war stories. For being twelve, she certainly could act older. Ekyt leaned against a counter, letting his shoulder's drop. He sighed before he walked back in.

“So how have you been?” he asked. “I'm okay, it's nice having daddy back. But Mom and Dad are so busy now-a-days, fighting in the war, organizing. I needed a break. So I came here. This place is paradise!” “You sound just like him.” Linda-Su pointed at Ekyt.

Paula-Su shifted, suddenly uncomfortable. “Mom said that you'd be having a hard time, dad. Can I help?” Ekyt's eyes widened. So much for keeping it quiet. “Well, I've been relieved of my duties as a guardian in training, and now I don't live anywhere, have no job, and I'm pretty banged up.” He pointed to the bandages across his torso and the cane. The twelve-year-old smiled at him. “Geez, Mom said you were a reckless idiot.” He stifled a laugh and turned to look at Linda, who was practically choking back tears she was laughing so hard.

“Yeah, Uncle Espio says hi.” She said importantly. Linda walked out, leaving the two alone.

“So the war is getting better?” Ekyt asked after small talk had been made. “Yes, we're on the verge of total victory.” She looked away, uncomfortable. “Do you like it here?” he asked her. “Yeah, but I'm a little homesick.” Ekyt totally understood. “I don't blame you at all.” He sighed again. “So I'm an okay dad in your time?” “Yeah, of course! Why do you ask?” she said, concerned.

“Well, about 10 years ago, back on earth, I had anxiety problems. I couldn't go to school, I would be sick on and off. It never ended. Then I came here. I just hoped that you didn't get my anxiety. My…Curse.” He turned whiter than normal, thinking of the memories. She shook her head. “Nope, I didn't get any of that. I guess I'm mostly like mom. You must be disappointed.” “Not at all! You're lucky to look like your mother. Trust me on that, you're both beautiful.”

A knock came on the door. Linda answered it. Violet (Violet_Rose) and Shadow entered. “Who's this?” Shadow asked, immediately going on the defense. Ekyt stepped in front. “Shadow and Violet. Good to see you again. This is my daughter, Paula-Su. She's from the future.” Shadow relaxed. Violet raised an eyebrow. “When did you get a daughter.” “Aunt Violet?” Paula said. “What? You know me?” “Of course. In my future you and Shadow are two of my best friends.” Violet had to think about that for a second. Shadow bent down and stared at the echidna. She stared back. “Um, Shadow, take it easy.” “Relax. I'm just curious to see what the byproduct of an echidna and a human looks like.” Paula rolled her eyes and then said with exaggeration “Cool, an ultimate life form! Woah! I've never seen one! Can we keep him dad?” Ekyt stifled a laugh. “He's not the type you keep, Paula.” Shadow gave Ekyt an evil look, before Violet punched him on the arm. “Relax Shads, he's kidding. I think.” “Yeah, human humor. It so broad.” He said with a goofy look.

They left. Paula looked at a futuristic-looking watch. “I'd better go.” Ekyt got up suddenly. “Wait, I nearly forgot.” He handed her a chain with a shard of emerald on it. “This is like the one I gave your mother. If you ever need it's power, talk to my future self.” She nodded, then hugged her future parents goodbye. With a whoosh, she was gone.

Ekyt walked to the kitched again, massaging his temples. Linda put her hands on his bare shoulders. He flinched slightly, but kept still. “I don't know what to do Linda. What do you think I should do.” Linda smiled at him. “Well, I was gonna ask last night, but you were in no condition to talk. Why don't you stay with me until you find your own place? And as for a job, what about the Chaotix? You'll be in the loop. You'll get your job back, kid.” Ekyt stared into space. “I don't know Linda. I don't want to impose on you, and I don't know if I'd feel comfortable…you know.” She rolled her eyes. “I'm not saying we'd sleep in the same bed. You'd have a room of your own. Besides, it's temporary.” She waited. He finally nodded. “Thank you. I'm just sorry that I can't do more.” She kissed him, right there, with them both leaning back on the counter. When they broke apart, they smiled at each other, both of their cheeks turning red. “I'll get my stuff then.” With a swish of his coat, he was gone. But he'd be back.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Violet_Rose on May 6, 2006, 7:49:19 AM

Violet_Rose on
Violet_RoseGreat issue!
Violet: Awww shucks...I'm an aunt ^^;