Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 86 - Spare a Thought for Me...

A Sonic X fanfic. Features fan chars at times, and is my second-longest running series!

Chapter 86 - Spare a Thought for Me...

Chapter 86 - Spare a Thought for Me...
A vigilante is, by nature, a lonely person. Very few can get close to an individual. This was true of Ekyt. And almost all those who had were gone…

Gone…

Linda too.

The human on the building across from the Thorndyke mansion gave a sigh, audible only to him. The first time he had been here, a breeze had tossed his coat around. Today, there was no breeze. It was brutally hot. Crime didn’t take a day off, and neither did this human.

Ekyt knew it was going to be like climbing Mt. Everest to get over Linda. You didn’t forget your dream-girl overnight. Ekyt usually showed all the emotion of a rock, but even he had lost some of his trademark stoicism.

“I’m glad I did it. It’s what they wanted.” Ekyt told himself firmly for the millionth time. “HE DID IT! GET HIM! IT WAS HIM!!!” Ekyt looked down. A crowd, two hundred strong, had pressed themselves against the building. Ekyt didn’t need to really think hard as to why they wanted to gut him…

Sonic and company landed. They were home! “YEEE-SSS!” Sonic shouted, pumping a fist in the air, jumping up and doing a Sonic Spin to let off his feelings. Tails flew toward his old workshop. Flash (Flashthehedgehog) followed Kurt and Tiffany (Shadowthe_Hedgehog) to a place to eat. Chaos control had taken a lot out of Tiffany, and Kurt, being the power source (He’s a living chaos emerald), was bushed too. Knuckles was back on Angel Island, happy to be home. Eggman laughed, and tried to attack with one of his Eggpawn robots. Amy smashed it, a sour look on her face. “I can’t believe Klein didn’t come…But he had his reasons. I’ll see him again some day.”

Linda went home. She hadn’t been home for a year, but that was by earth’s time. In this world’s time, she had only been gone for about three months. Her mother and father would still be worried…She had so much to tell them, too. She paused, sparing a thought for Ekyt.

Ekyt jumped backward, avoiding a punch from an angry shop owner who had made it on the roof. “YOU SENT OUT HEROES HOME!!!” “THEY WERE HAPPIER THAT WAY, YOU FAT, SELFISH, PIECE OF TRASH!” Ekyt shouted back. That earned a rock to the face. This looked bad. Ekyt decided to leave. He took a running start, aiming for a tree. The tree was just out of his reach. He was going to fall, and at this height, he was buzzard food…

“Linda? Honey! My God, are you alright?!” Mari, Linda’s mother, a gentle-looking echidna woman, ran over to her daughter. “I’m fine Mom! I can’t wait to tell you about” “There’s my Lil’ girl!” Linda’s father, a burly, muscular echidna with a thick mustache, crowed. “Where’ve you been honey?” “I’ve been on earth!” Linda exclaimed. “Earth! Wow, must have been quite an experience!” “It sure was! I even had met a great boy…aw snap.” Linda hadn’t planned on mentioning Ekyt yet. But her parents looked happy for her. “That’s wonderful Linda! What’s he like?!” “Well, I broke up with him, he destroyed the master emerald. He had to, but I thought I’d never get home. He’s the perfect height, muscular, not overly-muscular, athletic. He’s got dark brown hair, and dark brown eyes.” “What else honey?” “Well, he always wears this trench coat, and…” Linda’s parents seemed slightly unnerved by that. “He’s a vigilante…” Her parents looked more upset. “…He was human…” Her parents stood up as one. “HUMAN?! YOU WERE KISSING AN…AN…EGGMAN?!” “NO! HE’S NOTHING LIKE EGGMAN! HE’S RISKED HIS LIFE FOR ME, AND HE’S THE ONE WHO GOT ME HOME!” Linda yelled back. She wasn’t sure why she was defending him. She guessed that some part of her was still in love with him.

Ekyt seemed to float to the ground. “Huh?” Ekyt saw Klein (ShyWanderer43) motioning to him from the bushes. “Follow me.” Klein told him in a hushed tone. Ekyt nodded. They crawled through the bushes, finally reaching Ekyt’s hotel room. Only Ray would be here at this hour. Ekyt snuck inside. Ray smiled. “That’s my buddy, making the headlines. But you’d better go to your place upstairs, before they come bustin’ in here, looking for you!” “Thanks Ray.”

Linda’s parents sat in stunned silence. Their little girl had always been perfect, and had never lied to them. “If you think he’s good…we have to agree honey. Do you have a picture?” Linda nodded. She had grabbed her files from the police department before she left. They had only taken one picture together where Ekyt had posed. He had a very slight smile on his face, despite holding his staff. Linda was wearing her normal clothes that day, and was blushing slightly in the picture. She had her right hand on his shoulder, her left hand forming a peace sign. Mari smiled at it. “He looks like a nice boy.” “Yeah. He is…was…I was hard on him at the end. After he destroyed the emerald, I didn’t want to hear that about it…” A tear trickled down her cheek. She had always been trying to make life more fair to Ekyt; to help him come out of his shell. She had undone all her work with one fell swoop…

Ekyt sat up with a start. “Another dream…she’s still haunting me.” In this dream…

DREAM SEQUENCE:

Linda was tied to a stake, a pile of straw beneath her feet. It was glistening with gasoline. A torch was about to be placed on it. “WAIT! I’LL TAKE HER PLACE!” Ekyt heard himself yell. He was suddenly on the stake…but the stake went through his stomach. He couldn’t feel any pain, but the site bothered him. The torch was lit. Ekyt looked up at his executioner. An unsmiling Linda dropped the torch. “Rest in Peace…You were the one…” Ekyt just watched as the flames licked at him. He couldn’t do anything else. He felt himself burning. Just before everything went black, the master emerald shards pulled together in front of him, and formed a laughing face.

END DREAM SEQUENCE

Ekyt sat on his bed for a while. He wished he could go home, not for the first time. But he couldn’t put his parents in danger like this. No, he was going to stick it out. He remembered Shadow saying once “If the world becomes my enemy, I’ll do what I’ve always done…Fight!” Ekyt agreed with the statement, and nodded his head, as if sealing some agreement with himself. A knock came on the door. Ekyt slid it open cautiously. Greg darted in. “We’ve got problems!”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Flashthehedgehog on May 26, 2007, 6:57:18 PM

Flashthehedgehog on
FlashthehedgehogBrilliant chapter. I love how Flash follows Tiff and Kurt for a place to eat, it just cracked me up. ......nothing?
How do you keep track of your chapters?