Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 103 - "Lo Sciopero Critico"

A Sonic X fanfic. Features fan chars at times, and is my second-longest running series!

Chapter 103 - "Lo Sciopero Critico"

Chapter 103 - "Lo Sciopero Critico"
Linda looked across the trash-strewn street. “I drove him away…damnit, what have I done?! What if he’s dead?” A gun shot rang out, narrowly missing Linda’s head. She ran toward an alley, taking cover inside. “It’s been too long darling.” Anthony smiled down at her. He nodded his head. Two thugs in suits grabbed her and held her mouth shut. “Make Haste, dear boy…the girl will not live much longer…” Anthony backed in the alley way, a pistol in his hand. “And you were very cooperative sir.” A small man in a suit, with widly darting eyes, nodded. “You served your purpose well…but I’m afraid you have seen…a little too much than is healthy for you.” A wire came around the man’s throat. He kicked wildly, making noise. Too much noise. Anthony shot him in the temple, ending his struggle. “I hope I will not have to resort to such…vile western means…with my chief adversary.”

Ekyt landed back in a deserted Station Square. The rain had driven everyone away. I’ve got to change my look…at least for now…I might be back, but I’m not sure how I am mentally…I just need to throw everyone off for a little while… He saw a store across the street. He slipped inside, quickly buying a white dress shirt and a pair of black dress pants. His rain coat would do. He grabbed a pair of dress shoes as well, black in color. Finally, he picked out a fedora, a black one with an even darker band around it. He turned his collar up against the rain and walked out of the store. He had also purchased a pack of cigarettes and a lighter, neither of which he intended to use. But they would throw everyone off his trail all the more.

A rock came crashing through the Thorndyke window, shattering glass all over the oriental rug that lay on the floor near the hearth. Chris picked it up with a shaking hand. “Guys! You’ve got to read this!” Everyone rushed over as Chris read it aloud: “Dearest acquaintances, I hope this letter finds you all do well. To be brief, I have Linda and I will return her only when Ekyt meets my terms. Tell him to meet me at Salvatore’s on 35th, if he fancies seeing her alive. He will have until 7 o’clock to answer before his lack of haste will cost the girl her life.” Every exchanged glances. “Find Ekyt!” they all shouted at Shadow.

Ekyt saw Sonic running up. He quickly lit a cigarette, just holding it, his head down. Sonic didn’t seem to notice him. All the better. Ekyt continued his solitary walk, taking an alley way shortcut. That didn’t last long, as he was confronted by two thugs who had mistaken him for an easy victim.

“What do you want Anthony?” Linda asked, a defiant expression on her face. Anthony offered her a drink. Linda knocked the glass away. Anthony sighed. “It must always be the hard way, mustn’t it?” Anthony paced around the room. It was most wood, a big desk and bookshelves the center of the room. “I wanted you. However, it is obvious to me that you do not harbor the same feelings for me as I for you. So, it is not so much YOU I need…” Anthony circled around to her other side, kissing her on the hand, much to her dismay, “…As Ekyt. He and I have a score to settle, you see. And you are serving as the perfect lure. The rube will never see it coming.” He held the pistol, gripping it almost fondly. “He’ll kill you.” Linda said with a smile. “He’ll rip your throat out. Gun or not.” Anthony smiled. “His rage will work against him, darling. For if he makes a move on me…you’ll find my aim will drift elsewhere…”

“Check out Michael Corleone here!” one thug said with a laugh. Ekyt understood the reference, but didn’t appreciate it. “I’m not in the mood for your crap tonight guys, can’t you kick your own @$$?” The two thugs stopped laughing. “You little punk. You don’t know who you’re dealing with.” “And I don’t care. Get out of my way.” One grabbed Ekyt from behind while the other moved in, taunting Ekyt. Ekyt made no move…then, suddenly, put the cigarette he was holding over his shoulder, grinding it into the goon’s forehead. As the man screamed, and the ash blinded him, Ekyt grabbed the other crook and held him against the wall. “I would suggest you run. Even I don’t know what I’m capable of.”

Shadow had been to the past and had talked with Tikal. “He left two hours ago…didn’t he meet up with you?” she asked. Shadow shook his head. “No.” Tikal narrowed her eyes in thought. “Look closely…he seemed troubled when he left, so he might be disguised.”

Shadow and Sonic had met up, neither one having any luck finding Ekyt. “Tikal thinks he might be in disguise.” Shadow informed Sonic. At that moment, someone in a trench coat walked by. He had a hat on his head and was holding a cigarette. “That’s him.” Sonic whispered. Shadow nodded his agreement. “Let me do it.” Shadow skated after him.

“Ekyt.” Ekyt kept walking, risking a glance over his shoulder. “Shadow?” Shadow nodded. “Come with me.” Shadow dragged Ekyt into an alley and handed him the letter from Anthony. Ekyt’s face dropped. “He’s got her?” Shadow nodded. “I can’t beat him…I can’t do it…I guess I’ll have to see what his demands are.” Ekyt pocketed the note and headed to Salvatore’s.

Once inside, Ekyt grabbed a toothpick to put in his mouth. He still held a lit cigarette. No one seemed to notice. Ekyt DID notice, however, Anthony sitting at a table in the back, with a POed Linda next to him. Ekyt walked up to the table and sat down. “Can I get you something to drink?” A waitress asked. “Nothing for me, thanks.” She gave him an uneasy smile and left.

Anthony: Glad to see you have come.
Ekyt: this isn’t a social call Anthony.
Anthony: Of course not. You want to get to the point.
Ekyt: Yes. What will it take for you to release her?
Anthony: I want the shard of the master emerald you’re carrying with you.
Ekyt: Fine.
Linda: No!
Anthony: (aims pistol at her) It would be wise to ignore her, if you like her the way she is…breathing.

Ekyt: …Alright. I’m going to put the emerald on the table. Linda gets out the door first, though. Then I’ll put the emerald down.
Anthony: (Smiling) Yes…yes, I see now that I’ve beaten the fight out of you. Look at you, hiding in disguise like a child! Ha! This was rather…pathetic on your part.

Linda looked at Ekyt and was saddened. He wasn’t fighting back. He was just sitting there, taking all that abuse. Was it for her sake? Or was Anthony right?

Ekyt: Do we have a deal or not?
Anthony: Go ahead Linda.

Linda walked away cautiously, heading for the door. Anthony suddenly hit her in the head. Ekyt got up and threw the table aside, tagging Anthony in the face with his right fist. They two grappled momentarily before Anthony threw Ekyt backward. Ekyt landed on his feet, a dawning horror in him as he realized what was about to happen.

The world became black and white to Linda. Anthony’s hand flashed up, a pistol in his grip. Ekyt tossed his chair backward and pushed someone in the line of fire down. As he turned to do that, the pistol in Anthony’s paw barked. Ekyt was blown backwards by the force, his hat falling off his head as he landed in a heap on the end of a table, which tipped forward at the sudden addition of his weight.

Anthony smiled. “It appears I’ve emerged the victor. Farewell!” He bolted from the restaurant upon seeing Sonic, Shadow, Tails, and Knuckles all rush in.

Linda leapt down near Ekyt’s side. “Oh my God! I…I killed him. I might as well have pulled that trigger. It was all my fault! If I hadn’t gone with Anthony…If I had just picked him instead…then he would have fought Anthony off.” She allowed tears to fill her eyes as she pushed his coat to the side and unbuttoned his shirt. High up on his left chest was the bullet wound. It wasn’t a sucking puncture, but chest wounds were never good. She had seen a lot of this on when she was a police officer, but it had never been so…personal. She ran her hand down his chest, pulling back as she neared the worst of the blood. She settled instead for kissing his forehead while stroking his chest.

No one made a sound. The rain outside proved an eerie soundtrack. It’s pitter-patter now seemed a tribal rhythm, a rhythm that held death.

“It’s not your fault Linda.” Sonic told her, gently pulling her to her feet. “Yes it is! I as good as pulled the trigger!” Sonic turned pale. “Oh My God…I don’t believe this.” Linda turned as well. Ekyt was getting to his feet. He picked up his hat and put it on his head, and put the toothpick back in his mouth. He looked down at his chest. “Oh damn.” He grabbed a tablecloth and wiped the blood away. He had been hit just above his heart, but on an angle, so the bullet had just grazed his chest. It hadn’t even really hurt, but the bullet’s velocity had knocked him backward and he hit his head on the table.

No one moved. Linda finally ran at him, jumping up and forcing him to catch her. She then kissed him in what would be considered a one-way make out. Ekyt was too dizzy from the pain to register the fact that Linda was kissing him. He was holding her up somehow, though. Probably instinct.

“I can’t believe it! You’re alive!” Ekyt nodded slowly, but no trace of a smile. “Yeah.” He said. “I’m sorry, about everything! Now I know who my REAL friends are.” He put her down gently, only to be hugged by her again. She had her head on his shoulder, her hands around his waist and upper back. He stayed stiff for a moment before gently stroking her hair. “I’m fine.” He assured her. He pushed her bangs out of her eye, admiring their shimmering green hue for a moment. He kissed her on the forehead.

“So…what are we now?” he asked. “I mean…relationship-wise.” Linda shrugged. “How about we go back to the way things were…before this whole mess started…something between friends and boyfriend/girlfriend?” she suggested. He nodded, holding a hand to his chest. “That bastard panther is gonna pay for that.” Linda shook her head. “Why DID you hit him, anyway?” “He hit you. You don’t hit a lady.” Ekyt said, as though it was the most obvious thing in the world. Linda couldn’t help but roll her eyes as his innocent logic.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

ShyWanderer043 on July 22, 2007, 6:50:55 AM

ShyWanderer043 on
ShyWanderer043Another chapter that does not disappoint. I wonder where Klein was during this whole mess. Probably with Amy, trying to get up the courage to talk to her *Laughs*. Oh well, i am sure you'll think of something good, you alway do ^_^

alchemest1 on July 21, 2007, 1:38:49 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1You managed it. Lol. Anthony is more detestable than ever. Lol. This chapter was great. You really are a talented writer!