Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 29 - I Do's and I Dont's

Fast-Forward 25 years. Dictorial King and a masochistic queen. The original group of Freedom Fighers are still around, but now their kids take the more active rolls, trying to save Mobius from the clutches of the Evil king. 'Takin "Future" fan chars

Chapter 29 - I Do's and I Dont's

Chapter 29 - I Do's and I Dont's
“Congratulations Ekyt.” Queen Sally told an unusually somber Ekyt. Upon seeing this, she questioned him. “What’s the matter? You’ve just ended the war!” Ekyt raised his eyes to meet her gaze. “I don’t think you believe that anymore than I do.” Sally sighed. “You’re right…but we can’t tell the people that…they’ve had precious little to celebrate about in so long…” “But if they drop their guard…” Ekyt began. Sally shook her head. “Sonic and I discussed it. It’s better to have a raise in morale.” Ekyt conceded her point before heading home.

He went into his office. It was glass and steel, the two most abundant resources in the war stricken day and age. He sat down and booted up the computer, to see if he could find something interesting. He leaned toward the screen when a window popped up, showing a black screen with a green grid, with what looked like a pulse monitor (In hospitals, the thing that beeps when the person is alive.). This meant an outgoing transmission from an enemy’s satellite. He printed the data and made a call to the OSS.

“Colin here.” Colin, a 35 year old echidna that adopted Ekyt as a mentor answered his field mic. “Colin, it’s Ekyt. I’m sending over some data. We need our tech guys to pinpoint the source.” Colin grinned. “By “tech guys” you mean Mitch gets an all-nighter.” Ekyt chuckled. “Yeah, pretty much. Rotor’s tied up, and Mitch is the best bet at this point. You heard about Shadow’s death?” “Yeah. You don’t sound like you believe it.” Colin said, in an interested tone. “I don’t. And I have a feeling he’s going to crash the party that he knows we’re going to have.” Colin stroked his chin. “Alright. Send the data. And Ekyt…” “Yeah?” “Me and Molly are getting married. Can you come?” Ekyt grinned. “Wouldn’t miss it for the world buddy. See you tonight.” Colin smiled at the irony. The world was just the thing that might make him miss the wedding.

Mitch showed up at the wedding, with this laptop and glasses, muttering in the back until the ceremony began. Then he strode up to the church, taking his place as “best man.” Ekyt was sitting in the back, keeping a weather eye out for trouble. Linda was next to him, and Paula was next to her.

The wedding went off without a hitch. After the I Do’s were said, a cheer went up.

That’s when it happened. The windows of the church broke in, robots surrounding the congregation. With a curse, Ekyt told Paula to up the balcony. He strode forward into the center. “Everyone, head toward the exit.” He said calmly. “Well, well, well, what have we here?” Shadow stepped out from the crowd. He was followed my Robotnik and Kragok. “You thought I was dead?” Ekyt shook his head. “Only the good die young. You’ll probably live forever.” Shadow shrugged off the verbal blow. “Before you stands the ultimate triumvirate.” Linda grinned. “Really. All I see is an old hedgehog, a hooded freak show (Kragok), and a fatass wanna-be scientist (Robotnik). Shadow hit her with a chaos spear. Ekyt charged him, barreling into him at full speed.

With everyone else gone, this didn’t look like a good day for the resistance. Shadow threw Ekyt off. He picked up the human again, slamming him into the wall. Before Ekyt could recover, Shadow had him by the neck. “Let me introduce the newest member…I believe you know Silver?” Ekyt stopped struggling. “Leave him to me Shadow.” Silver the hedgehog used telekinetic abilites to control objects, and in rare occasions, time and space. Ekyt was trapped by his abilites. He was a helpless punching bag, until chairs started raining down from the balcony. Distracted, Silver let Ekyt go. “Nice shot Paula!” He called up to his daughter.

Ekyt took the distraction as a sign to attack. He saw that the candles were still lit. “Mind if I smoke?” he muttered. Ekyt took a long candle, holding it like his staff. He set fire to Robotnik’s cape, then to Kragok’s robes, and to Shadow and Silver’s quills. They screamed with pain. “CHAOS CONTROL!” Shadow shouted. With a crack, they all vanished. Shadow’s head reappeared. “Hmph! Lucky victory! You and your pathetic resistance effort will be crushed when I release my army of 100,000 robots in two days time.” “You go ahead and think that Shads. My Dad will kick your…” “He’s got the message sweetheart.” Linda said. She turned to Shadow’s head. “Flake off, jackass!”

Ekyt had innumerable cuts on his face and body, but he was alright other wise. He had also burned his hands on the candle he used as a weapon. The dripping wax turned his hands a shade of angry red.

In bed that night, Linda asked Ekyt if he thought “Shadow meant what he said.” Ekyt looked at the ceiling. “I think he is. And I hope the Freedom Fighters are going to be ready to head them off. Because I heard…” Ekyt stopped. Linda made an encouraging gesture. “I heard that the resistance is dying. No more volunteers. That the next stand will be our last. It’s either we win the war and end it all in our next major offensive, or we’re crushed. We’ll have to surrender and hope they don’t execute us.” Linda looked into her husband’s eyes. He still looked young, but his hair was graying every day it seemed. It most places it kept it’s dark brown shade, but around the temples it was gray. Linda slid over. Ekyt did too. “Do you have enough room?” Ekyt asked. Linda shook her head. “I swear, you are clueless! I was moving closer because I wanted to, moron!” She ran her hands down his chest, laughing inwardly as he blushed. It was hard to believe something as simple at having your shirt off, even with only your wife present, could embarrass her rock-hard husband after twenty-five years of fighting.

NEXT ISSUE: A FULL-BLOWN BATTLE! THIS WILL BE EPIC! IT’S EITHER CONQUER OR BE CONQUERED! IT’S THE LAST THE STAND FOR THE RESISTANCE!

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on August 15, 2007, 8:57:04 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1(sniffs angrily) That's just like Shadow to show up on a wedding day. Anyway. Yeah. This could be bad for the resistant. I hope they are ready. (slips off to read the epic battle chapter!)

Flashthehedgehog on May 18, 2007, 5:31:55 PM

Flashthehedgehog on
FlashthehedgehogA cool chapter. Trust Shadow to make his appearence on the wedding, that is just negatively punctual.

nextguardian on May 19, 2007, 12:47:53 PM

nextguardian on
nextguardianThat's Shadow for you! I wish he HAD crashed the wedding I was at the other day! Two hours and then a lousy reception! GAAH! So, the fic's wedding was inspired, in other words, lol!