Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 28 - Level Of Mastery

The Story:
A Mini-Series for my fan char, Ekyt. I'll continue this if people like it.


The Game:
This is based on the game, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), released for the Xbox360 and Playstaion 3.

Chapter 28 - Level Of Mastery

Chapter 28 - Level Of Mastery
Ekyt looked out the window. “You know, I” he stopped suddenly, then picked up in a raised tone. “I’m tired of getting attacked! I’m killing the next one who does!” he looked at Linda meaningfully. She nodded and stood near the door, knife at the ready. Three came flying in from the window, one clipping Ekyt in the chest, skimming across his flesh, tearing a good line of skin out from one pec to the other, the knife slanting down, before sticking in the floor. He cursed. “We’ve got to get out of here…I know! Get ready to hold on tight!” Ekyt grabbed a vine. “Go to 352 Grace Ave, near the cemetery. Tell them I sent you.” Linda wrinkled her nose. “And what about you?” “Trust me.” Linda hadn’t heard him talk so…confidently before. “Okay…I’ll see you there.” “Right.” “Promise?” “I promise. Let me go first, then swing immediately.”

Ekyt leapt to the ground, throwing a series of knives, then running through the forest, zigzagging so he wouldn’t be caught in the line of fire. He tagged one enemy in the jaw, pulling off his gold chain. He couldn’t use it until Linda got out of the way. Suddenly, he saw a wall of humanity blocking his path. He fought the odd soldier, one managing to break Ekyt’s hand. Ekyt got past all that, bloodied and exhausted. “You had a good run kid. Now give it up, and come with us…” The all had reformed. Ekyt looked toward Linda at the corner of his eye. She was gone. “I’m going to set my weapons down.” He announced. He bent down, but instead of sacrificing his weapons, he put the gold chain in his shoes and did an about-face. His shoes lent him power and speed. He ran the opposite way.

Linda ran through the town, bleeding, hair short, and clothing ragged. She made it to the place Ekyt had told her about. It was a dojo. She knocked on the door and barked “Ekyt sent me to see the master!” The door swung open and she was lead inside.

The dojo was smaller, blue gym mats covering most of the floor. A young man, maybe 15, showed her to the Master’s place of meditation. He blushed slightly as he bowed her in. Wow…she’s pretty…and she’s my age! I wonder if she’s taken…he thought, pulling his gi straight.

Master Sukuto looked up as the girl walked in, bowing respectfully. “Might I ask you name?” he asked in a slightly accented English. “My name is Linda, Master, and Ekyt sent me to see you.” Master Sukuto’s eyes brightened. “THAT is a name I haven’t heard in some time…please, make yourself comfortable…will he be joining us?” “Yes Master, if all is well.” At her worried look, Master Sukuto handed her a cup of tea. “Please, tell me of the trouble that you and him are experiencing.” Linda was going to ask how he knew, but figured it was scrawled all over her face. “We’ve been attacked repeatedly…the Shihan was” “James.” Master Sukuto muttered. He sighed. “I knew one day he would fall this way. How did he die?” “Seppuku. His son, Ichini, was his Kaishaku-nin.” Master Sukuto nodded. He was nearly bald with age, and his smile was slightly lopsided. When he stood, he was tall, but slightly bent over from age. He looked at his koi pond, watching the fish. “Since he died, we’ve been attacked multiple times, and one of his students tried to force me into marriage.” Master Sukuto looked troubled, but managed a smile. “Ekyt…no doubt he let the man know how he felt through his mouth and fists?” “That’s what happened.” Master Sukuto suddenly looked more lively. “Linda, if you were a student of James, you were a student of mine, correct?” Linda hadn’t mentioned that she had, ah, changed since. “Yes Master. I was an echidna before…” Master Sukuto gave a big grin. “Linda, you were always the star of the class! When Ekyt gets here, we must talk at length. For now, please rest. Here, you are safe.”

Ekyt leapt up onto a branch that was full of knives. He jumped off it hard, knocking it to the ground, hitting one of the men chasing him. These ninja-samurai-whatevers could keep up, and that wasn’t good, since he was almost as top speed. There were two left. Ekyt took a chance and forced himself to run faster. He blasted away, where the attackers finally gave up.

Ekyt knocked on the door. It swung open immediately, and he was escorted to Master Sukuto’s room. “Ekyt! What happened to you?!” Linda rushed over, checking his wounds. “Ekyt, you have returned!” Master Sukuto gave a thin smile and indicated him to kneel. “Now that you are here, you need to know something: Linda, I think of you as my daughter, and Ekyt, I think of you as a son…the one’s I’ve never had, and never will. It is unknown to my students, but my time is running short. I’m in the late stages of Hepatitis. I have only enough time to set my affairs straight.” Ekyt and Linda knew they weren’t supposed to speak, so neither did. “Linda, you were the brightest star I had, with Ekyt not far behind. Therefore Linda, I ask you to take over my school…my home.” His words were spoken emotionally, which was a rarity for the Master. Linda looked over at Ekyt, who gave an encouraging nod. “Of course Master. Thank you.” She bowed. “Well then, it’s time you were awarded this.” Master Sukuto handed her a black belt, with nine small, gold stripes on it. “Your 10th degree, mastery level belt. I will announce this to the school, now that I have someone I can trust.”

Ekyt would have lied if he had said he wasn’t feeling slightly left out. Linda deserved it though, and he was genuinely happy for her. He watched as she and Master Sukuto talked to the students, all of whom seemed emotional to hear about their Master’s chronic condition.

After they talked, Master Sukuto asked to speak with Ekyt. “You seem more troubled than usual.” It was part question, part statement. “Master, it HAS been a rough time…I had admitted to Linda my feelings for her. But we’re “Just friends.”” Master Sukuto nodded sagely. “Ekyt, I have no doubt about what you can accomplish.” The old man’s breathing became very ragged. Every movement seemed to hurt. “Master, is there anything I can get you?” Ekyt asked him. “No. But I have something for you…it’s in the black package near the door. Take it after my death. It will not be long now. Please, do not be sad…It is my time to move on, now that I’m nearly one hundred years old…please, take care of yourself…” The old man closed his eyes. Ekyt heard his breathe stop. “I will master…I will.” Ekyt said, a tear trickling out of each eye as he gave the old man’s hand a final shake, then arranging them in the peace over power position (An open hand in front of a fist) before bowing from the room.


Ekyt walked out. At Linda’s look, he shook his head sadly. She hugged him, trying to comfort him, since he was obviously shaken. “I’m fine.” He assured her. She kept her worried look in place, but kissed him on the cheek anyway.
Linda wore the belt proudly for a few weeks, during that time talking with Hagakure, a boy that had taken a deep interest in the martial arts. One day, out of the blue, he kissed her. Linda blushed, but didn’t object.

Someone else did.

Ekyt closed his eyes and shook his head. “I can’t say I didn’t see it coming…” he muttered to himself. Hagakure had been eyeing Linda for some time. Ekyt had been wearing a black gi of mourning out of respect for Master Sukuto. Now he tied a black band around his head. “Kata: Seiunchin.” He muttered, before trying to do the “breathing kata.” His breath didn’t want to work with him. He found he was more choked up than he should have been. Or was willing to be, more accurately.

He became the emotionless statue again. If he sparred, winning or losing, he kept the same stoic impression on his face. It wasn’t out of bitterness; He had a lot on his mind. And besides, stoicism could be a handy weapon in the martial arts.

He stepped aside to let himself catch his breath. “You okay?” Linda’s voice came. “Oh, yes Master.” This wasn’t out of the ordinary, they adhered to guidelines pretty strictly. “Just checking in…” she said, worried. “Master, can I have the key? I’m going to stay late tonight.” She tossed him the key to lock up. “I’m going to go get some food with Hagakure, do you want anything?” she asked. “No thanks. I had my meal today.” Ekyt said cheerfully. “Okay then, see you tomorrow.” Linda left with a small wave.

As soon as she was gone, Ekyt grabbed his pouch of throwing stars. He pulled off his gi top so the sleeves wouldn’t get caught. He threw all fifty knives. Forty our of fifty hit the target, thirty of those hit the bull’s-eye. Great scores. “Damnit!” Ekyt knocked the target over, his knives clattering to the floor. He breathed heavily, muttering curses, when he head a timid voice. “Ekyt-sensei?” Ekyt spun to see Hagakure.

“Oh, I’m sorry Hagakure, didn’t hear you come in. What’s up?” “Sensei, Linda explained something to me…were you close to her.” Ekyt frowned. “You might say that, but not in the traditional respect.” “I mean, were you ever…boyfriend/girlfriend?” “No. I…er, we never got that far.” He said, hoping it sounded light and off-hand. Apparently not. “I never meant to cause a rift between you two.” “There’s no rift Hagakure. I’ve been distracted lately, with Master Sukuto dying, and the extra training.” “She speaks of you a lot.” “Hagakure, you have nothing to feel guilty about, I know that’s why you are here. Everything’s fine, don’t worry. You’re her age, and you two will be fine.” “If you say so, Ekyt-Sensei.” “I do. Go have fun.”

The next day, Linda asked him to pick three students. “They are your group. Teach them what you know. We’re going up against some rival schools in a few weeks, and they’ve got to be ready. Do you mind going into combat with them?” Ekyt shook his head. “Not at all. I’ll share their fate.”

Ekyt looked at the line-up. “Utsugi…Donalds…Takami.” The three stepped forward. Utsugi Pong-ai was a Japanese kid, roughly 13, with the best throwing arm Ekyt had ever seen. He had a crop of black hair, styled into an aggressive crewcut, and a slight form, with long, sinewy muscle. Kayla Donalds was a girl, roughly 14, with blond hair pulled into a long ponytail, with a long whisp of hair over one eye. She looked a lot like Linda, he thought. She had a great mind, medical knowledge, and an incredible amount of drive. Not to mention she could fight; the girl was deceptively quick. Then there was the dark horse, Chakaro Takami. He had started out as something of a jokester. Then something sobered him and he became one of the best student they had. Ekyt wanted to know what. But in this case, he wanted the kid to get a vote of confidence. The young man’s face was set into a dark, neutral expression, similar to Ekyt’s. He had taken to Ekyt’s teaching style. Of the group, he was the oddest looking. He was just about Clorox white, but had shoulderblade-length black hair, which somehow made him look taller, though he was about 5 feet 2 inches in reality. He was also skinny, with a rapid metabolism that wouldn’t allow him to put on weight and, by the same token, muscle. Then their was the fact that “Chakaro Takami” was his adopted name. He wouldn’t tell his real name, saying that his ignorant parents had given it to him.

The four trained together exclusively for the next two weeks. It was more a matter of fine-tuning what they already could do, rather than teaching new techniques. And it quickly became apparent that Takami would make a great leader someday, along with the fact that the team gelled instantly, save for Takami and Utsugi having a couple quarrels over Kayla’s affection.

The night they were set to leave for the tournament, Linda pulled Ekyt aside. “Look, I just need to know everything’s fine between you and Hagakure.” “Of course.” Linda rolled her eyes. “You’re lying to me. I appreciate you protecting my feelings, but I want you to be truthful with me, right now: Do you have a problem with me dating Hagakure?” “No. I had my chance, things didn’t work out, right? No reason for anyone to feel guilty…I’m sorry, can we talk about this later? I’ve really got to get the team going.” Linda nodded, choked up.

So, I’ve got a new boyfriend who’s just about everything I want in a man. But in the process, my best friend is becoming distanced…Did I make the right choice? All these thoughts were old to Linda. But no matter how old, she still didn’t have an answer to them.

“Okay, listen up everyone.” Ekyt called. All his students lined up. “Here are the rules: No fatal strikes, incapacitating only. You will be facing some students from your rival school. I want no unprovoked attacks outside of the tournament. Stay together, stick with me unless I say otherwise, and keep your guard up. We’re going to be facing the other teams in different areas of combat. Water, plains, mountains, and forest. If any two teams are tied, there will be a sudden-death round, one that will incorporate all the battle fields.” His students nodded eagerly. “Good. You’re the most talented group here, you can pull it off.” Donalds had a question. With a small stammer, she asked “Will they be allowed to kill?” Ekyt looked at her, then nodded. “Though the rules say not to, some may not be above killing to get what they want. So, stay on your guard…”

Ekyt rubbed the bridge of his nose. He had lost out on Linda, THAT much was evident. So now he was the statue again. This time, he had his WILL to fight, and his heart was in it for the kid’s sake. It was his SOUL that felt like the problem.

Ekyt and Linda, miles apart, had the same thought: Is this right? Ekyt, whose unrequited affection had never stepped him from doing the right thing; and Linda, who loved Ekyt enough to tell him what she thought was the truth, both had a second thought:

I’ll miss him/her…

With that last thought, Ekyt wished he had never kissed her. Without meaning to, he had made this more painful for both himself and Linda. He vowed to make things right. As he looked at the other sensei, all bigger and more powerful, he add “If I make it” to his last statement.[/b] He didn’t need to think that. All of a sudden, the Master’s and their personal escorts came. Linda’s eye met Ekyt’s briefly. It was time for them to sort things out…make things right. Ekyt knew what he would do. He would confess his love again, and be honest, then admit defeat.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on August 18, 2007, 11:44:05 AM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Wow. This is a great chapter. This tournament sound very familiar. Having to watch your back between matches the masters personal escorts. The rule of no fatalities that is more of a suggestion! This sounds like my old school! Ah. I MISS THOSE DAYS! SIGH