Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Dark as the Night Sky

My flagship fan char gets involved in House.

This series will be more racy than my other stuff. If it's popular enough, I'll keep it going.

What to look for: mild sexual themes, mild swearing.

Chapter 3 - Dark as the Night Sky

Chapter 3 - Dark as the Night Sky
Cameron and Holmes walked out to the parking lot. Holmes was wearing his shirt and tie. Cameron was dressed in a white blouse and black skirt. They were discussing the Michaels case, when discussion turned to how House treated Holmes. “He’s like that to all of us, but he’s treating you pretty rotten.” Cameron told Holmes, who kind of shrugged. “He doesn’t think I belong there. He’s right. I’m not a full doctor yet.” “YET.” Cameron emphasized.

“House, I need that paper work.” House was trying to get out of the hospital before Cuddy caught him. “Dr. Cuddy. Wow, I love the outfit!” Cuddy rolled her eyes. “It’s summer House. Even deans of medicine are entitled to dress comfortably.” “Yeah, but you don’t normally get to see their fun bags.” Cuddy put a clipboard in front of her chest, annoyed and flattered by the attention. “You have until the end of the week. If those papers aren’t on my desk, you’re doing double the clinic hours.” House grimaced.

Holmes and Cameron were enjoying the food. The restaurant was a popular place, a mildly-priced chain that Cameron liked. Holmes had a shake in his leg that he was hiding from Cameron. He wasn’t sure if this counted as a date. If it did, this was his first one. And Chase would kill him. The check came and Holmes snapped it up before Cameron even moved, and paid for it.

Cameron: You didn’t have to do that!

Holmes: I asked YOU, therefore I should pay.

Cameron: Well, thank you. (Surprised.)

Holmes: Besides you drove.

Cameron: (smiling) You still didn’t have to do this.

Holmes: I wouldn’t have this job without you recommending me.

Cameron: Chase did too! When are you taking him out (Jokingly)

Holmes: (Grinning slightly, jokingly) Two good-looking guys going out?

Cameron: I see your point. (laughs)

Cameron leaned across the table to kiss him. Holmes wasn’t sure what THAT meant, but when whatever it was that was about to happen was put on hold when they heard a THUD! Behind them.

A thirteen-year-old boy, dressed in all black, mascara, and multiple piercings had just collapsed. Cameron sprang up and checked the boy’s vitals, while Holmes yelled for someone to call an ambulance. He kept everyone away until the EMT’s got the boy on a stretcher.

House ignored the growing pile of paperwork on his desk, watching his mini-tv. Chase set down a mug of coffee. “Thanks. You know, you’d make a great maid.” Chase rolled his eyes before returning to his own cup.

Cameron and Holmes burst in. House looked up. “Where have you two been?! Chase has been worried sick! (mockingly serious) Cameron, did you steal his innocence?” Cameron responded with “Thirteen year old male, gothic-looking, collapsed at the restaurant we were at.” Chase narrowed his eyes. “A date?” he asked, accusingly. Holmes piped up. “No Chase. I thanked her for the letter of recommendation, that’s it. I would have invited you, but two good looking guys at table might come off a little wrong…” Chase had to chuckle at that. “Kids, kids! Don’t make me give you all time-outs! Back to the case.” Holmes pointed at Holmes. “Except you…I’ve got a ton of paperwork on my desk, why don’t you use your magic and make it disappear?” Holmes nodded tersely, shedding his lab coat, rolling up his sleeves, and loosening his tie. Cameron gave House a disgusted look. “Hey, what are lackeys for?” House said innocently.

“My name is Damien.” The goth-looking kid said stiffly. Chase and Cameron nodded, almost robotically. “Damien, we just need to know, did you feel anything before you fell over?” Damien shook his head. “No. I had gotten my forehead pierced earlier. But it’s not my first piercing, so I don’t know how it would be different.” “Mind if I take a look?” Chase asked. Damien pushed his bangs out of the way. “No skin irritation…Okay, that’s good. Does it hurt when I touch it?” Chase put a finger lightly to the piercing. “No.” Damien answered. “Interesting tattoo. Is it new?” Damien nodded, then he pushed Chase’s hand out of the way. He dove over the side of his bed and vomited multiple times.

“Our symptoms are vomiting and collapsing. Interesting mix.” House wrote the symptoms on the white board. “What do we know about him?” “He’s got multiple piercings, tons of tattoos.” Chase supplied. “No skin irritation around the latest piercing, which he had gotten earlier in the day.” Cameron added. House wrote that down. “You two put some thought into this. It’s Monday. My extra-long lunch break day. Want anything?” “Coffee.” Chase piped up. “Help yourself.” House gestured grandly.

Holmes was about halfway through the stack of paperwork when Chase showed up. He dropped a mug of coffee at Holmes right side. “Thanks Chase.” Chase started to leave, but stopped with his hand on the door. “I’m sorry about jumping to conclusions earlier. Cameron and I aren’t together…I just get a little defensive.” Holmes waved it aside. “I understand Chase. Can’t say I blame you.” Chase nodded and left Holmes to the paperwork. He decided to give Cuddy what he had done so far.

Wilson took a bite of his Reuben sandwich, chewing thoughtfully. House was drinking some coffee, watching tv. “You know House…that kid is interning with you. Have you actually taught him anything?” “Office politics. Got to learn that.” House answered. Wilson decided to drop the subject, instead asking “How’s that goth-kid doing?” House shrugged. “I don’t know…I’ll be back on the case after my third lunch…oh, say, three o’clock?”

Damien was quiet as Chase asked for a urine sample. “Sure.” He went into the bathroom, but called for Chase quickly. The cup had blood in it. Damien vomited again.

Holmes knocked on Cuddy’s door. “Come in.” she answered. Holmes strode in, emptying his soft-sided briefcase on her desk. “What’s all this?” She asked. “Some of the paperwork you needed.” Cuddy rifled through them. “House didn’t do these…they’re done the right way…no, they’re actually done at all!” Cuddy looked up accusingly. “You did these, didn’t you?” Holmes looked back, finally nodding. Cuddy shook her head, smiling despite her exasperation. “House dumped this on you?” “Pretty much. I don’t mind, he’s got that case on his mind.” Holmes returned. Cuddy looked at the stack of papers again. “If this is what House has you doing…why don’t you go ahead and skip Clinic hours?” “That’s alright, I can handle it. I have an all-nighter in front on me anyway.” Holmes explained.

Chase marched back into the diagnostics office. “Blood in his urine.” He said, holding up the cup as proof. “Sounds like a bad eighties band.” House quipped. “But it’s significant. What do all these symptoms point to?” “Liver failure.” Chase and Cameron said as one. “Run the tests, and get back to me. I’ve got some work to do. All that porn won’t download itself.” House commented dryly.

Holmes called out “Charles Dalton,” a young boy who came into the exam room with his mother. He was clinging to his mother’s hand, not making eye contact with Holmes. “He’s been like this for a while. We thought he was just shy, but he’ll start to shake, and hyperventilate, and have mood swings.” The mother was almost in tears. Dan Holmes new all to well what was wrong. “Well Mrs. Dalton” “Call me Anne.” “Anne, your son has a panic disorder.” “How do- do you know without running any tests?” Holmes pointing to his leg, which was shaking. “I have it myself. It’s a semi-common condition, but…” Holmes looked down at the boy. “Nurse! Can you watch him for a minute?” Nurse Gerry nodded, understanding. “C’mon, let’s go play.”

Holmes turned back to Anne. “It’s going to be rough. And it’s going to take time to get over it. If it ever goes away.” “What can I do?” Anne asked. “Be patient with him, ease him into uncomfortable situations, and find a good school.” “It’s my fault, isn’t it? I used to smoke and” “No. It’s not your fault.” Holmes told her firmly. He ran a hand through his hair. “I’m not going to promise you that it will ever go away completely. I’ve had it bad for thirteen years. But you learn to live with it. Just give him a lot of support. I’m going to prescribe Zoloft…” “Oh, he can’t swallow pills.” Holmes gave a bitter smile. “Neither can I. Zoloft comes in a liquid. Put it in some lemonade and it won’t taste so bad. If you have any problems, the hospital has a group for support. And, if needed, you can call for me here, they’ll get in touch with me.” Anne thanked him breathlessly. Holmes watched, stiffening his face. The poor boy was going to be in for a rough life. Holmes had been there. Still was. He wondered, not for the first time, if it would ever go away…

“His liver is failing.” Chase confirmed. House twirled his cane, deep in thought. “But the “why?” is the problem. Drinker? Smoker?” Cameron shook her head. “Neither.” “Drugs, then. Every kid like that has a vice.” “Just because he’s goth doesn’t mean he’s bad!” Cameron argued. “Just cause Chase is rich, doesn’t mean he spends money.” That earned him a look from both Chase and Cameron. “So, the liver thing…what could cause that?” “Auto-immune. The body would start to attack itself.” “Too sudden. The body shuts down gradually, not all in two days.” Cameron argued. “Any toxins in his body?” House asked. “Run an tox-screen. If that’s negative, it’s time to break out the big needles.”

Holmes typed up the last paper just as Wilson walked in. “For a minute, I thought you were House…well, until I saw you working.” He commented to Holmes. Grinning ruefully, Dan answered with “He’s probably right. I’m not ready to handle a case like that.” “You only learn by doing.” Wilson answered. “How much paperwork do you have there.” Holmes glared at the stack. He was finally done. “Two years worth. In one day. I don’t think it’s supposed to work that way.” Wilson widened his eyes. “Geez…um, congratulations.” “Thanks. Cuddy can deal with them from here.” Holmes answered with a sigh.

“So far, so good.” Chase commented. Cameron watched intently. “Nothing. There’s nothing here.” House limped over to the screen. “Clean…and that means…” “It’s not in the liver.” Chase answered. “Or it’s something the Tox screen missed…I’m going to have a little chat with our little ball of hatred.”

“Here you are Lisa.” Holmes dumped the papers on her desk. They flowed out, seemingly endless. It was now ten o’clock. Twelve hours ago, he had started. “I can’t believe you did two years of paperwork in half a day!” Dan gave her a tired smile. “Yeah. I had some motivation, actually.” Cuddy looked up, a frown grazing her face. “What was that?” Holmes sighed deeply and began to explain. “One of the kids earlier…he has anxiety…bad…just like mine…he’s going to have a rough life…and there’s not a thing anyone can do.” Cuddy put a supportive hand on his shoulder. “Then he’s lucky to have you as a doctor. You’ve been there. No better was to help than to guide, having been there.” “I’m still there. I just wonder…is it ever going to go away? But it’s selfish to think that way, especially after seeing all the people with cancer or the like around.” Cuddy appreciated the point of view. “I know. I wish I could say something better…Why don’t you head back to diagnostics and check in with House? Then, go home and get some rest. You’re no good to us if you’re nodding off.” She said, eyeing the dark circles under his eyes.

“The tox screen was negative…cancer is negative…so what aren’t you telling us?” House jabbed his cane at Damien. “I’m not hiding anything. I had a piercing done this morning. The guy didn’t want to do it, my tattoo was kind of runny. But I’ve done it before and…” House got up abruptly, heading for Cuddy’s office.

House flung the door open, knocking Holmes out of the way. “House, what the he” “Damien Riley, he needs a liver transplant.” “What?” “The ink from his tattoos ran into his new piercings. The ink accumulated, poising his liver.” “How long does he have?” “Two days tops.” Cuddy chewed on a nail. “I think we can do it. Great job House.” House limped back out. Then he came back in, swing his cane toward Holmes. “That paperwork isn’t going to do itself.” “It’s already done House. I’ve ordered him to go home and get some sleep. He’s done enough of your crap work for one day. You’re lucky, he hasn’t complained once.” Cuddy nodded to Holmes. “Goodnight Lisa. Goodnight House.” Holmes dragged himself out of the room.

Start Track: Human Touch by Rick Springfield

House, Chase and Cameron watched the liver transplant start. Cameron looked out the window, spying Holmes walking home. It was snowing, but he didn’t seem to notice, other than tucking his hands into the pockets of his trench coat-like overcoat. Cameron nodded to Chase and sprinted to the elevator.

Dan didn’t really care about the cold. His mind was on that poor kid with anxiety. It had taken years, but he had learned to live a more or less normal life with it. He knew just how rough it was. He heard rushed footsteps behind him, partially padded by the snow. Holmes turned to find Cameron jogging to catch up.

He stopped, cocking his head to the side. “Holmes…I just wanted to finish what I started earlier. She kissed him on the cheek briskly, then turned his collar up against the snow. “Need a ride?” she asked. “I don’t live far, but thanks for the offer.” “Well, then I’ll walk you home.”

Chase looked out the window at this. His first thought was anger. But that was replaced quickly by a feeling of understanding. He nodded, as if understanding something inside his head. He pulled his coat and cabbie-like hat over his plaid vest. “Night House.” House didn’t respond; he was watching the transplant. Chase left.

House went back to his office. He took a couple Vicodin, then headed downstairs to his motorcycle. Tucking his cane into the saddlebag, he sped for home.

The snow was still falling outside as Holmes invited Cameron in to warm up. He handed her a mug of perfectly warm coffee. She drained it, and walked out onto the stoop. He followed her out. “Thanks again Cameron…I guess that one counted.” (referring to the kiss.) Cameron smiled and told him to get some rest. She could have sworn she saw House’s motorcycle speed by.

End Track: Human Touch by Rick Springfield

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment