Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Dose of your Own Medicine

My flagship fan char gets involved in House.

This series will be more racy than my other stuff. If it's popular enough, I'll keep it going.

What to look for: mild sexual themes, mild swearing.

Chapter 4 - Dose of your Own Medicine

Chapter 4 - Dose of your Own Medicine
“Okay, Candy, wonderful! Beautiful, beautiful! Turn this way! Perfect! Pucker those lips! Now, show your attitude! That’s my girl!” Tommy George smiled at his newest “model,” a hot-looking brunette, about twenty years old. He roped in the stupid, hormone-filled girls to model his sleazy bikinis and lingerie. (IF THIS COMES ACROSS AS PERVERTED, LET ME KNOW, AND I WILL REMOVE IT –NG) “Tammy! You’re up!” Tammy, blond twenty-one year old, with fair skin and blue eyes, and a knockout figure, climbed up onto the stage and struck her first pose in front of the beach background. But she wavered immediately. “What the hell’s wrong with you?! You stupid bimbo!” He yelled. Tammy fell down. “Oh Christ! Candy, call an ambulance!” “What’s the number?” she asked, confused. Tommy lowered his head, smacking his greasy hair. “9-1-1. Can you remember that, floozy?”

Holmes was attempting to talk to House when he was grabbed roughly from behind by Chase. “What the” “We need to talk. NOW!” Holmes looked confused, but followed Chase out to the empty waiting room. “I saw her kiss you! You thieving bastard!” Holmes bit his tongue, big time. “Chase, she kissed me. Do I look like I get that a lot? Or that I had any clue she was going to?” “Don’t give me the innocent act! She went home with you, didn’t she?” “Not in the way you’re thinking Chase. Nothing happened. She kissed me on the cheek, walked me home, had a cup of coffee, and left!” Holmes was getting angrier, as was Chase. Cameron chose that moment to walk in. “Oh, good morning you two. Sleep well.” “You slut!” Chase yelled at her. (IF THIS IS FOUND OFFENSIVE, LET ME KNOW, AND I WILL CORRECT IT!) “What?” Cameron narrowed her eyes like she hadn’t heard her. Holmes’ right hand tagged Chase under his left eye. Cuddy and a number of nurses came running to separate the two. House watched quietly. “Nice right cross.” He mentioned to a disheveled Holmes.

Cuddy had Chase and Holmes in her office, with Cameron next to her and a number of nurses between them. “I want to hear what happened. Chase, you first.” Cuddy said solemnly. “She slept with him! THAT’S what happened!” Cuddy looked over at Holmes, indicating him to present his side. “No, she didn’t. Nothing happened. She walked me home. She drank a cup of coffee, and left.” Cuddy cocked her head. Cameron finally lost her temper. “SLEPT WITH HIM? WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET THAT? WHAT KIND OF GIRL DO YOU THINK I AM?” “ONE WHO ISN’T FUSSY WHO SHE BUNKS WITH, APPARENTLY!” Chase yelled back. “KNOCK IT OFF!” Cuddy yelled. Holmes finally said, quietly “Chase, she didn’t sleep with me. I wouldn’t do that to your relationship. It’s obvious you two have something between you. I’m here to save lives, not further my own.” Holmes extended his hand. Chase glared at it, before storming away.

Cuddy asked Holmes and Cameron to stay. “I believe you, you know.” She began. “However, I can’t have disarray in the diagnostics department. I need one of you to step up and take the fall.” Cameron opened her mouth, but Holmes stepper forward. “It’s my fault. I was just being friendly, but the fact is I hit him. No matter what he said, that wasn’t professional. Just let me know what my punishment is.” Cuddy looked at Cameron. “Cameron, you head back to diagnostics. Let me speak with Holmes.”

Cameron looked meaningfully at Cuddy, before turning to Holmes. “It was sweet of you to defend me. Thank you.” Cameron left. Holmes nodded weekly.

Cuddy asked him to sit. “I know why you did that Dan. I don’t blame you, and if I were your girlfriend, I would be honored. But the fact is, I’m running the hospital, and I can’t have my doctors fighting.” “If you tell me what started the fight, there won’t be any punishment for you. Holmes made eye contact with her. “I’m not ratting out anyone. I’m sorry Lisa. I’ll take the fall.” Cuddy looked back, a strange expression on her face, before sighing. “I’m going to have to dock your pay for two weeks, and remove you from diagnostics until further notice.” Holmes had expected worse, but he wasn’t relieved. Then she dropped the bomb. “And I’m going to have to suspend you from the hospital until further notice.” Holmes stood up sharply, seemingly about to argue that point. Instead, he snapped up his lab coat and suit jacket, tossing them over his shoulder. “I’m really sorry Dan.” Cuddy said, apologetically. “You’re doing what you have to do. I did what I had to do. So there shouldn’t be any hard feelings.” Cuddy, however, had a feeling there was, because he hadn’t turned around when he said that, instead opening the door and striding outside.

Chase was in the hallway waiting. “I” “Save it. I took the fall Chase. Now you don’t have to worry about “anything” happening.” Holmes pushed past a stunned Chase, walking out the front doors of the hospital.

A patient was rushed past him on a stretcher. Holmes almost went back in, but stopped, continuing his solo walk home.

House eyed the patient in the bed. “Twenty-one year old female, underwear model, collapsed on the scene of a “photo shoot.” Chase, what’s her bra size?” Chase ignored the crack. “Could’ve been the lights, she passed out from too much heat.” Cameron ventured. “Infection weakened her maybe? Her boss said that she had just stepped up onto the stage when she collapsed.” Cameron placed a hand on her. “She has a fever. That could mean infection.” “Start her on Inteferon, and check hourly.” House ordered.

Tammy moaned just as Chase was walking in to check on her. “Wh-where am I?” she coughed out. “You’re in the hospital. I’m Dr. Chase. How are you feeling?” “Every muscle I have aches. And I fell drugged…” “Well, you are drugged. We’re pretty sure you have a minor infection. And-what the hell?” Chase was watching as Tammy’s bed sheets suddenly turned yellow. It stopped spreading. “I still feel like I haven’t peed in days…”

“She wet the bed. Big girl. Okay, what does that suggest?” “Chlamydia? She said she felt like she hadn’t peed in days.” Chase supplied. “Chlamydia is an STD, She would have had to have been sexually active recently.” Cameron pointed out. “Look at her, she’s obviously been around a few times.” Chase replied. “Do you think that about every decent-looking woman?” Cameron retorted, a angry frown crossing her smooth features. “Children, children! Please! Chlamydia seems likely, but it doesn’t explain the fever. Keep her on the Interferon, and start her on Azithromycin.”

Tammy asked Chase what he was doing. “It’s a new medication, it’ll help you get better quickly.” He had been cautioned not to ask her about sexual activity, or what the drug was for. “Thank you doctor.” She smiled at him.

The next hour, Cameron went in. “Hi, I’m Dr. Cameron. How are you feeling?” Tammy started to speak, but couldn’t look at Cameron. She was shaking. “I’m just a little anxious…and…” Tammy vomited violently. “Nurse!” Cameron called. Tammy vomited again.

“It’s either a side effect of the Azithromycin, or it’s her liver.” House told his two interns. “It’s more likely to be her liver, she looks like she could knock back some brews. Besides, the Azithromycin affects only one in twenty people.” Chase mentioned. “The nervousness could be a side effect of the Azithromycin. That’s more likely.” Cameron argued. “Hmm, Chase’s suggestion is more dynamic. Check her liver.”

Cuddy called Holmes at home. “Holmes.” He answered, keeping his voice friendly. “Dan, it’s Lisa Cuddy. I know you probably hate my guts, but I want to offer a deal.” “What kind of deal?” Holmes asked. He stretched out on the deck chair, looking out across the city. “Just tell me what led up to the fight, then you’re welcome back.” It was tempting, but Holmes said “No. Cuddy, I’m not going to be a snitch. I understand where you’re coming from, though, and I hope you can understand where I’M coming from.” He heard Cuddy sigh. “I do Dan. I’m sorry. I hate to ask. And I’m sorry, but your suspension is still in effect.”

“AST shows an abnormality in her liver. What, though, I’m not sure.” Chase was leaning back in his chair, arms behind his head. “Azithromycin can cause that too.” Cameron argued. “Well, we have two choices: We can ask her who’s knocker her up lately, or we can stop both medications and re-introduce them one at a time. She’ll either get better, or she’ll get worse. We’ll get an answer either way. So, who wants to poke into her sex life? Anyone, anyone? No? Okay, take her off the Azithromycin first.”

House sat in his office, tossing his giant tennis ball to himself. Wilson let himself in, plopping a tray in front of House. “So, what happened with Holmes?” Wilson asked. “He clocked Chase after Chase said something. My money was on the Australian @$$-kicker, but the skinny white boy got the better of him.” House popped two Vicodin as Wilson gave him a look of annoyance. “Cuddy brought the hammer down on him hard. He’s taking the fall. I don’t suppose you went to bat for him?” “Chase is the better doctor. Or, more likely, luckier.” “That doesn’t mean he deserved” “Are you gonna finish those?” Before Wilson could answer, House had taken his potato chips.

Tammy felt a little better. “I don’t know what you did, but it’s working!” She gushed to Chase. Chase was trying to hide his dislike for her. “Well, it’s been six weeks, and you still have that infection. You’re not better yet.” Tammy stretched, and that’s when Chase saw a red mark under her arm. “Hold that position…How long have you had this?” Chase asked her, pointing at the rash. Tammy shrugged. “I don’t know, I didn’t realize I had it. Is that bad?” Chase busied himself with looking for a syringe so she didn’t see him roll his eyes. “I’m really tired…” Tammy yawned. Chase saw something inside her mouth. “Open your mouth again, please.” He ran a cotton swab across his new find.

“She got all this after we re-introduced the Interferon. That’s got to be it.” Cameron said confidently. “Why didn’t she react the first time then?” House asked. “Her body is as stupid as she is.” Chase answered. “Will you stop being a bastard? People react differently! We should take her off the Interferon.” “Then make it so, number one.” House quipped, limping down the hallway to the elevator. “If you need me, feel free to call.” He opened the doors to the elevator before it began it’s descent. “One more thing- Don’t need me.”

Holmes was getting more agitated by the day. Cuddy had called several times, even offering a lesser job to him, but he wouldn’t do it. It was a matter of principal. He heard a knock on his door. Surprised, he strode across the room to open it. He was even more surprised at who was on the other side.

“House?” House pushed his way in, sitting down on Holmes’ couch, stretching out. “How are things doc? Enjoying the vacation?” he asked. Holmes sat down in a big leather arm chair across from House. “No. I’d rather be doing your paperwork.” Holmes said with a snort. “Coffee?” he asked. “Yeah.” House answered. Holmes started to make the coffee. “You know, I heard everything.” House told Holmes. “You heard what he said to Cameron?” Holmes asked mildly. “Yeah. Not an accurate description, at least not to my knowledge.” He tapped his chin. “Then again, if she’ll sleep with Chase, she’ll sleep with anyone.” House took a long gulp from the mug Holmes had set down in front of him. “You didn’t tell Cuddy. You took the fall for Chase. I’m curious as to why you would want to do that.” House questioned. “He’s a doctor, and better at what he does than me. Besides, I don’t make it a habit to rat people out. That punch got my point across.” Holmes answered, troubled despite his confident tone. “So honorable…stupid, but honorable…” House muttered, draining the mug. “Cuddy is a woman. Therefore, she is stubborn. (I DON’T MEAN THIS! DON’T SHOOT LADIES!) You are man, therefore, you are…stupid. Interesting dillema.” House got up and gimped over to the door. “Be back at work tomorrow. You’ll be getting a visit from Cameron and Chase, and a phone call from Cuddy.”

Tammy had gotten worse. The doctors gathered in her room. “Night Sweats, Swollen Lymph nodes, and a fever of 103 degrees. All for more than a week. What does this tell us?” House asked his interns. “That she’s dying from something.” “Could be cancer? Hodgkins?” Cameron answered. “Go one better.” House said. Chase and Cameron exchanged glances. House limped over to Tammy. He rapped his cane on the bedside table sharply. “Hmm?” “Oh, good, you’re awake. Tell us, you had sex in college didn’t you?” House asked. “Oh, sure, doesn’t everyone?” Tammy replied brightly. “The lucky ones. Tell me, did the guy do drugs?” “Sure! He lent me his needle once or twice! What a nice guy!” Tammy smiled at the memory. Chase and Cameron suddenly got it.

“She’s got HIV?!” Cameron exclaimed. “Whoa, why didn’t I think of that? Actually, try AIDS.” House asked/stated mockingly, slapping himself in the forehead. “The last straw- the Lymphoma.” “Everything fits. We didn’t see it because her symptoms matched up with the side-effects of the Interferon and the Azithromycin. The fever, the urine, the rash, nervousness, fatigue…” Chase rattled off the symptoms. “We’ll tell her tomorrow. Let her enjoy one more night medication-free.” House told his group.

“Come in.” Cuddy called. Dr. Chase walked in. “Cuddy, Holmes doesn’t deserve what he got.” Cuddy lowered her glasses. “What are you talking about? He hit you.” “I called Cameron a slut. He was just defending her. I shouldn’t have said that.” To his surprise, Cuddy smiled. “I was wondering when you were going to tell me. House told me everything at lunch time. I think you should know that Holmes refused to say what happened. He took the fall. He said you were a great doctor.” Chase looked surprised. “He doesn’t hate me?” “Apparently not. I’m going to give him a call. Why don’t you and Cameron go convince him to come back to work?”

Dan Holmes swept the rest of his clothes into the suitcase. He put a black cap (Like a mason’s hat) on his head and got ready to brave the harsh winter. He heard a knock on the door. “Come in.” he said flatly, taking a last look around his apartment. Chase walked in, followed by Cameron. Holmes dropped his suitcase, readying himself for a fight. Chase made no move to fight. “We want you back.” Chase told him. Holmes looked confused. “No. I’m going to leave. I don’t want to cause a rift.” Holmes started unplugging things from the kitchen, taking what belonged to him. Cameron followed him in, motioning for Chase to stay still. “Dan, we need you.” Without turning around, Holmes replied. “You saved lives without me. It’s more important that your team stays together.” Cameron looked at Chase, who nodded. She stepped in front of Holmes. She didn’t say anything. Instead, she kissed him full on the lips- an actual, real kiss, much to the surprise of the recipient. She kept her hands on his head, stroking his hair. She relinquished the kiss. “Stay. Chase and I talked. There’s not going to be anymore problems.”

Start Track: Wheel in the Sky by: Journey

House led his delegation: Cuddy, Chase, Cameron, and Holmes. They were all outfitted with hazard suits. “You just had a six week vacation, you get to tell her. The rest of us drew straws, and it was supposed to be Cuddy…” Cuddy shot House a disapproving glare. “Alright.” Holmes answered.

The rest watched from a distance as the young (almost) doctor sat down at Tammy’s bedside. They could tell when he broke the news: Tammy started to cry, but calmly. Holmes held her hand for a moment, while Tammy composed herself. She nodded and said “Thank you.” Holmes got up and rejoined the group.

He had a small smile on his face. “What did she say?” Chase asked. “She lived fast, lived hard, and now she’ll die young. She knew.” Holmes told the group. Everyone, save for House, showed their astonishment.

“So, you’re willing to stay?” Cameron asked Holmes. “Yeah. I just let the depression get the better of me.” He had to ask; the question was bothering him. “Chase didn’t mind you…you know…kissing me?” Cameron smiled. “No, that was his idea. I guess a way to tell you that there’s no hard feelings between Chase and you...and myself, for that matter.” She smiled again and tossed her hair out of her eyes. Holmes wasn’t sure what she meant. “Well, you’d better go unpack.” She reminded him. “Yeah. Thank Chase for me, would you?” “Sure. Good to have you back. I wanted to say that no guy has ever stood up for me like that." Holmes shrugged. "I never liked guys treating their girlfriends like that. It's not the first time I've gotten in trouble for that. I knew it was coming." "Some girl will be lucky someday..." Cameron looked over her shoulder at him as she walked away, leaving Holmes to wonder what exactly she was talking about.

House, who had heard the whole thing, gave a very small smile. He knew something his kid’s didn’t. He gunned his bike, riding off into the night.


***BONUS***
---ORIGINAL CHAPTER ENDING---

“So, you’re willing to stay?” Cameron asked Holmes. “Yeah. I just let the depression get the better of me.” He had to ask; the question was bothering him. “Chase didn’t mind you…you know…kissing me?” Cameron smiled. “No, that was his idea. I guess a way to tell you that there’s nothing between Chase and I.” She smiled again and tossed her hair out of her eyes. Holmes wasn’t sure what she meant. “Well, you’d better go unpack.” She reminded him. “Yeah. Thank Chase for me, would you?” “Sure. Who knows, maybe sometime I’ll help you unpack something else…” Cameron gave a joking mischievous grin. “Don’t joke about that- I might get my hopes up.” Holmes returned, blushing furiously, while grinning back. “Look at you! Relax! It was a joke!”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on June 7, 2007, 2:20:31 AM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1I loved it. Very accurate on the medication's side effects too. I was confused as to what it might be for a bit until they got through all the symptoms; then it was pretty easy. I love they way you incorperate the drama and plot in the story. Great job. Bravo!