Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Death, Taxes, and Love

My flagship fan char gets involved in House.

This series will be more racy than my other stuff. If it's popular enough, I'll keep it going.

What to look for: mild sexual themes, mild swearing.

Chapter 5 - Death, Taxes, and Love

Chapter 5 - Death, Taxes, and Love
“Hey…Dan?” Holmes, who had been organizing medical reference books for House as some mindless busy-work, turned around, a thick volume in his hand. “Sorry Cameron, I was just kind of absorbed. What’s up?” He asked, getting down off the precarious-looking rolling chair. “I’ve been thinking a lot about you and Chase and…I know this is really sudden…but I’ve got to pick one of you…I’m so confused.” Holmes put a comforting hand on her shoulder. “Whatever you decide, I’ll be fine with it.” He assured her. She smiled at him, glowing. “Thanks.”

A tall man, with a black trench coat and fedora, marched into the hospital. “I need to see doctor House.” He said to the receptionist pleasantly. The receptionist, maybe nineteen, smiled nervously. “Certainly sir…”

“So then she said” Holmes was cut off in mid sentence because House came bustling in. “You’re with me.” He pointed at Holmes and Wilson. The two exchanged glances, but followed House down to the lobby.

“You paged me? Oh, you’re new here…You didn’t know…Don’t page me between the hours of twelve and…twelve.’ He gave the girl a meaningful look. “I’m sorry Doctor. But this man was insistent.” House and his delegation of Holmes and Wilson made their way across the waiting room. “Yes?” House tapped the man roughly on the shoulder with his cane.

“You remember me? You gave my wife a hard time, and all she wanted was help. I’m sure I’m not the first person to hate you, but I’m sure I’m the first person to do this!” He whipped a knife out from under his trench coat. Holmes, the closest, grabbed the man’s wrist. “You don’t want to do this!” The man, his eyes bulging with rage, tagged Holmes with his left hand before plunging down at House with the knife. Holmes pushed House back toward Wilson. The knife pierced his shoulder. “Ahh! Damn!” he swore, forgetting his martial arts. That was all good if you could prevent being stabbed. This was the first time he had been stabbed, and he forgot the cardinal rule of never taking your eyes off the weapon. The butt end of the knife gave him a sharp rap on the forehead, knocking him over the small leather couch and onto the glass coffee table. It groaned under his weight, but didn’t break.

The man suddenly started sputtering, dropping the knife. It clattered to the floor as Wilson checked on Holmes while House called for security. The man was cradling his left arm when he collapsed. Holmes struggled to his feet, his arm bleeding through his white dress shirt…

Cameron, Chase, House, and Wilson opened the doors to the emergency room. A surly looking Holmes was bandaging his own arm, clumsily. “They’re too busy for a stab wound…” he was muttering. “Oh my God! What the hell happened?” “Someone tried to stab House. Dan wound up taking the knife.” Wilson informed them. “Oh damn! That’s not a good one!” “No kidding!” Cameron said to Chase. Chase took a closer look at Holmes’ arm. “You’ll be okay, but you’ll need pain killers. One of us can prescribe them.” “No, that’s okay, I don’t like drugs.” Holmes hopped off the stainless-steel table he had been sitting on. “I’ll go home and get changed and” “Stay there, I hope.” Cameron interjected. “I just had six miserable weeks off. I don’t want to stay home, I’d rather be here.” Cameron was impressed.

House handed Holmes a prescription. “Go get this filled, and you can stay.” Holmes gave him a look before seeing what he had written. “Vicodin?” he asked, questioningly. “Hey, don’t knock it dude!” House told him in a hippie-like voice, as he popped two himself. Holmes took it and turned to leave, but stopped. He handed Chase a file. “Forty-Nine year old male, heart attack. Signs of trauma, stress, and extreme anger.” Holmes supplied. “When did you get this?” Chase asked, surprised. “Shortly after he stabbed me.” Holmes answered miserably.

As luck would have it, Cuddy was overseeing the pharmacy today. “Holmes? What the hell happened?” Dan recounted the whole thing, before handing her the prescription. “Vicodin? And it’s prescribed by House? These ARE for you, right? This isn’t some errand for House?” Holmes assured her that it was indeed for him. “And why aren’t you home recovering?” “I just had six weeks off. It’s just a little pin-prick, I’m fine.” Holmes argued. Cuddy gave him a worried look. “If you say so. But if you feel any pain, go home and rest.”

“What causes a heart attack? Yes, you, the blonde boy in the back?” House pointed at Chase with his cane. “Stress, Anger…from what I hear, he wanted to kill you out of anger, which put stress on his system.” “But there would have to be some underlying medical condition.” Cameron added. “Give him an Echo and an ECG. See what nasty little secrets his heart’s hiding…”

“I don’t want your damn help.” Charles Phaelyn argued with Chase, but didn’t struggle as Chase put the electrodes on his chest, arms, and legs. The test began, with Cameron and Chase monitoring it. “It looks like the heart muscle has thickened.” Cameron pointed out. “Yeah. We already know he’s had a prior heart attack.” “Let’s do the Echo.”

House was eating with Wilson when his team, plus the returning Holmes, walked up to his table in mid-bite. “Echo shows no sign of stress. But his heart muscle has thickened.” “Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.” House said around a bite of sandwich. “Hey, that’s mine!” Wilson protested as House continued to eat.

“So I’ve got this Hyper-something cardio-whatsis?” Charles was originally a steel worker from Philadelphia. He had a big mustache, almost no neck, and big muscles. “Right. So we’re going to start you on…” “Chase!” Cameron pointed to the heart monitor at Charles’ bedside. It showed a huge spike in his blood pressure. “What?” Chase put a stethescope to the man’s chest, checking his heartbeat. “That’s not normal…too quick…” “Help-me. Foof-foof-foof-Can’t-breathe!” “Nurse!” Chase yelled.

“Diastolic Dysfunction.” Cameron started. “It all fits. The flash pulmonary edema, the shortness of breath, the Ischemia…” Chase nodded his agreement. “Then we know the next step. Dilated cardiomyopathy. So the stage is set, and we’re following the script. Start him on the beta blockers. If he improves, he goes home, takes some medication and changes his life style, and finishes out his happy life.” “Ah damn!” Holmes hissed, putting a hand to his arm. “Are you okay?” Cameron asked him. “Yeah. The Vicodin should kick in pretty quickly. I’ll be fine.” Cameron narrowed her eyes slightly, but said nothing. “Since you’re fine, you’ll have no trouble going in and asking old man no-neck about his drinking habits.”

Charles was laying back in bed, watching TV. He was pretty weak, but felt better. “Charles, right?” “That’s me.” He answered, surprisingly friendly. His face dropped slightly when he saw who was talking. “Oh…it’s you…You’re just a kid!” Holmes rolled his eyes.

“I get that a lot. Now, Charles, if you don’t mind telling me, do you drink?” “Drink?” “I mean heavily.” “Not since my liver kid. I’ll have a beer or two with the boys once a month, but that’s it.” “And when did you have the liver problems?” Holmes asked. “Twenty years ago tomorrow.” Holmes nodded and scribbled all that down. “Alright, I’ll leave you to recover then.” Holmes gritted his teeth as a fresh wave of pain surged through his arm. “You okay kid?” “Yeah, I’m fine. Do me a favor, and don’t mention that, okay?” Dan asked him. “No problem…listen doc, I’m sorry about stabbing you. I was just so pissed off that he would insult my wife, calling her a whale…Now that I think of it, I don’t even want to stab him. And…like I said, my knife wasn’t meant for you…” “It’s fine Charles. Now you get some rest…”

Chase confronted Cameron. “It’s Tuesday…I just wanted to remind you that I love you.” Chase told her, smiling. “That’s sweet Chase and I…” Cameron’s heart leapt up into her throat. “I think I love you too.” Chase looked surprised. “But…you and Holmes…” “Chase, nothing happened. He’s just a nice kid. Really.” Chase looked reassured. “Cameron, would you like too…I don’t know…” “I would love to.” Cameron finished for him.

It was about 6:00 when Chase and Cameron left. House had slipped out earlier. “Have a good night.” Holmes told them. “Another all-nighter Dan?” Cameron asked, shaking her head. “You’re making us look bad!” Chase protested. Holmes gave a wise-@$$ grin. “Well, You two are doctors, I’m not. I figure I’ll quit working when I get my MD.”

Cameron stopped, motioning for Chase to go ahead. “Do-Do you remember what I said earlier?” she questioned. Holmes nodded, gritting his teeth. “I picked Chase.” Holmes nodded. “I had a feeling…there was something there…congratulations.” He said, sincerity in his voice. “Thank you…for understanding…It wasn’t an easy choice…” “I understand, it’s alright, really. Have a good night.” He said, a smile crossing his face.

Holmes sat in the narrow pool of light at the table, thinking that this case was familiar. Somehow, somewhere, something like this had happened…then it hit him! He knocked on Cuddy’s door. At her “come in,” he pushed inside. “Lisa, Charles Phaelyn, I’ve seen this case before, I’m sure of it…” Cuddy threw her hands up. “I’m sorry Holmes. He’s been cleared for release.” “When did he leave?” Holmes asked desperately. “Just a minute ago.” Holmes ran out of the office, sprinting down the hallway.

Charles was walking along, just fine. “Damn, my chest hurts…Must be all those tests…” He blacked out and hit the floor. Holmes ran up just in time to see him hit the floor. He checked the man’s pulse, and was relieved to find one. “I must have been wrong…” he breathed a sigh of relief. Reaching for his cell phone, he dialed House, Cameron, and Chase’s pagers, with “Emergency” being the message.

“Heart Arrhythmia.” Holmes told them. Cameron and Chase exchanged glances. “His first diagnoses! Someone get the album!” House called. One echo later, and his diagnoses was confirmed

“How did you know?” Cameron asked. She was worried that he might have some ill feelings toward her, but apparently not. “A friend of mine, his wife just collapsed. She had a lot of the same symptoms, and was physically fit.” “Is she okay?” “She was dead before she hit the ground.” Holmes told her. “My God…I’m sorry…” Holmes gave a sad grin. “I felt bad for her husband and kids. I didn’t know her personally. I guess it’s just a testament to all of us to make the most of our time here.” Holmes squeezed his eyes shut suddenly. “Your arm is killing you, isn’t it?” Holmes stiffened his face, but his pain was still evident. “I’d better get back at it. An orange medication bottle fell out of his pocket. It was still full. “Don’t tell House or Cuddy.” He asked Cameron, scooping the pills back up. “I don’t like drugs. I guess I’d rather have the pain…” he told her. Cameron gave him a sad look before walking into the stairwell with Chase.

At six the next morning, Holmes got up to check on Charles. He found the man looking out the window. “Kid, you ever get the feeling that you’re never totally free? That you can’t control anything?” Charles asked. “No such this as fate.” Holmes told him pleasantly. Charles pulled out his knife. He had wiped it clean. “There’s only one thing I can control now…I don’t want to live my life on medications and paying doctor’s fees.” He held the knife away, looking at it. Holmes’ eyes grew wide. “Charles, don’t do it.” He inched closer. “Think of your family.” Charles looked over at the young (almost) doctor. “My wife died. We never had children. My father never liked me, always my brother. He’s a big shot fat-cat on Wall Street.” Holmes moved closer. “If you put that knife in yourself, you’re hurting everyone around you. People care. Would I be in here trying to talk you down if I didn’t care?” Charles gave him a thin smile. “Thanks kid…you know, you’re a good kid. You’re here, talking to me, actually giving a damn, even after I stabbed you. I know your arm hurts you. I’ve seen you hide your pain. I did the same thing. But I can’t hide it anymore…” Charles drew the knife across his thick neck as Holmes lunged for the knife. “Nurse!” he yelled. She sprinted in, screamed, and fainted.

House’s phone rang. It was 7:00 am. He was just getting ready for work. “House.” He said crisply. “Time of Death 6:58.” Holmes’ wavering voice greeted him.

Cameron walked in, tickling Chase under the chin when she spied Holmes, blood still on his lab coat, sitting with his head in his hands. “What happened? Did he stab you?” She asked, concerned. Holmes didn’t answer right away. “Time of death is 6:58.” He told her. “What? He died? How?” Holmes took a deep, chattering breath, as a tear left his right eye and made it’s way down his cheek. “He killed himself…I couldn’t talk him down…the thing I was hired for…” Cameron sat down next to him, feeling guilty for choosing Chase, as if that had killed Charles. “It’s not your fault.” Holmes nodded vaguely and got up, stepping out through the glass doors.

Click-clack-click. Click-click-click. Holmes tapped away on his laptop. “Memoirs?” House asked, hanging his cane on a chair and erasing his white board. “No. Nothing like that. My letter of resignation.” Holmes printed two copies, handing one to House. Silently, he made his way down the hallway. He saw, out of the corner of his eye, Chase and Cameron kissing. For some reason, it depressed him even more to see two people enjoying life…

“Come in.” Lisa Cuddy’s voice rang out. Dan Holmes walked in, a folded up piece of paper in his hand. “Thanks for everything Lisa.” As he reached out to shake her hand, his pill bottle fell out again. It rolled right to House’s feet. He picked it up and saw that it was still full. Holmes ignored it and turned back to Cuddy. “I refuse to accept your resignation Holmes.” She said firmly. “I can’t do what you hired me for. I’m detrimental…” “Our resident teasing little tramp picked Chase over him.” House supplied. “That has nothing to do with it House! A man killed himself in front of me! I couldn’t help him! I couldn’t talk him down! It’s my own damn fault!” House strode over to him and smashed his cane into Holmes’ hurt arm. When Holmes opened his mouth to say something, House shoved two Vicodin down his throat. As Holmes gagged, Cuddy yelled at House. “You can’t drug him without his consent!” House looked at Holmes, now on all fours, choking. He gave the young man a smart crack on the back. GULP!

Start Track: I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight By Cutting Crew

“I’ll see you here tomorrow.” House told Holmes firmly. “You’re very good for someone so new Holmes. You’ve got to give yourself time. That man was suicidal, and that’s not your fault.” “I-I-Just can’t believe he’s dead. Right in front of me…I should have grabbed the knife…” House slapped him, with Cuddy looking on in horror. “I’ll see you here tomorrow.” House told him firmly, tearing both copies of the letter of resignation up.”

House and Cuddy watched as the young man left the office. “I hope he’ll be okay.” Cuddy said nervously. House said nothing, but watched the young man, who was shaking his head in disbelief. “He’s not taking this well…” Cuddy muttered.

Holmes walked out into the parking garage and down the ramp, into the brutal New Jersey winter. He hated the city right now. He stopped outside, looking up into the third story window. A drop of blood rolled off the window sill and fell at Holmes’ feet.

Chase and Cameron were cuddled up in a corner café’.” They watched as Holmes staggered by, the pain throwing him off for a moment. He didn’t notice them, or acted like he didn’t. “I feel bad…I dump him, and he gets his first death…and that way too…” Chase put a comforting arm around her. “He’ll cope. He’s a tough kid Cameron…He’ll handle it…” Cameron cast a worried glance at Holmes, who had stopped to check his bandage at a drugstore across the street.

Holmes opened the door to his apartment, putting down his briefcase and taking off his tie. He knew he’d be back at the hospital tomorrow. But without Cameron’s support, he wasn’t sure how he was going to handle the day. He looked out onto the snow-covered street. A motorcycle sped by, a familiar driver controlling it. He hit a patch of ice and the bike fishtailed, tossing the man off. Holmes darted outside. “Oh damn!” Dr. House was laying on the pavement, a nasty lump on his head…

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on June 10, 2007, 3:29:24 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Wow. I have to say that was the best chapter yet. Dr. Holmes reminded of of how i prob. Would have handled that. I actually almost cried. I have to say i hope i never have to in through that in my practice when i have one. I can't stand to let that basterd death win and i don't know whether i could handle if it does. I know exactly how he felt. I was there when the basterd took my Grandfather and it took me a long time to get over having stood there helplessly as it robbed him of his life. Great job. A very moving chapter. I have to say you hit it right on the head. I couldn't have expressed it better. By the way i see you worked in the fadora. Lol. I was definity bemused by that. Lol. Another thing is it is line of scary how well i relate to Ekyt in this series. I have medications as well. I would rather take the pain than take a drug. This pisses off my doctor a bit though. He doesn't like it when i take myself off meds he puts me on. (none of them are crucial to my health or sanity. Lol)