Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - A Defining Moment

My flagship fan char gets involved in House.

This series will be more racy than my other stuff. If it's popular enough, I'll keep it going.

What to look for: mild sexual themes, mild swearing.

Chapter 9 - A Defining Moment

Chapter 9 - A Defining Moment
Holmes looked at, seeing a young doctor trying to get his responsibilities straight. He couldn’t help but feel that the death/coma/suicides were his fault. Wasn’t he supposed to help people? He straightened his dark blue tie, which had yellow lines in it. He was wearing a white shirt with navy blue pants. It reminded him of when he was in grade school at that catholic school.

Dr. Cuddy was just arriving to work to see Holmes standing outside her office, engrossed in a thick novel with a black cover. “Holmes?” she said gently. “Oh, good morning Lisa.” “What did you need?” she asked, somewhat nervous. “I just want to apologize for how I was acting the other day.” Lisa smiled. “Dan, no one, except House and possible Chase, are going to beat you up for trying your hardest. I admire that. And…wait, why the hell are you here this early? You’re not on until…tomorrow.” “I thought I’d study some today.”

As they were talking, a tall black man dressed sharply walked up to them. “Dr. Cuddy, it’s been a while.” Cuddy did a double-take. “Foreman?” “In the flesh.” He smiled. She hugged him. “Good to see you. What brings you here?” Cuddy inquired. “Well, I want to see if you have a position in diagnostics…my last job didn’t work. I’m so used to House’s abuse that I wasn’t on top of my game.” Cuddy looked nervous. “I’m not sure. I mean, we hired someone else, but I think we can make room for you…Holmes? HOLMES!” Holmes jumped. “Sorry Lisa, I was just reading this” “Never mind. I’d like you to meet Dr. Eric Foreman, our neurologist.” Holmes gave her a small questioning glance, but smiled and shook his hand. “Dan Holmes, nice to meet you…” “Call me Foreman.” “Nice to meet you Foreman.”

As Foreman left, Cuddy turned to Holmes. Before she could talk, he said “It’s fine Lisa, I understand. Wherever you put me now is fine.” Cuddy bit her lip, not believing she had just given a job to a colleague she hadn’t seen in three months. Especially when that job belonged to someone else. “You’re not mad?” “This is business, you go with whoever is better. And it’s not me. I’m not mad.” He assured her. “Okay. I’ll let you know when your department switch is complete.”

House, Cameron, and Chase were in diagnostics, already working on a case. “Glad you could join us.” House said sarcastically to Holmes. “It’s my day off. And besides, I guess I’m not part of Diagnostics anymore.” “Whoa, what happened?” Cameron asked. “You’ll see in about…ten minutes. For now, just…thanks for everything.” Holmes shook hands with Chase. He went over to House and held out his hand. “Cuddy’s pet is leaving. But whose going to do all the stuff I used to heap on Foreman?” Holmes put his hand down. “A REAL doctor.” He snapped. He made his way over to Cameron, who hugged him, to Chase’s chagrin. “Thank for everything.”

Holmes walked down the hallway, meeting Wilson. “Holmes, I was just looking for you. I heard the news from Cuddy. I’m sorry about that.” “Thanks Wilson. I’ll be around, I guess. I’ll probably be the new janitor.” He said, only half joking.

“Okay, symptoms: What’ve we got…Chase, I think it’s your turn.” House pointed with his cane. “Pay attention class.” “Dizziness, shortness of breath, and “heart pounding.” Cameron seemed distracted, but answered “anxiety.” Chase gave her a look. “You’re thinking about Holmes, aren’t you? Come on Cameron! Anxiety? I think it’s in this lady’s head! Except for the heart. Hyperkalemia? She’s been in the hospital long enough to have contracted that.” he offered. “Okay my pets, go! Test for disease and pestilence!” House said with a maniacal laugh.

Holmes wandered up to the roof of the hospital, looking down. The wind was blowing today, tossing his lab coat around majestically. “I’ll find something else.” He told him self. I don’t believe a word my mind is telling me. So far I’ve ruined three people’s lives, pissed off one of my coworkers, and done crap work. I’m not even a doctor. But now that I’ve done it…what if I have to settle for something else?

Cuddy rummaged through her files, not sure what to do with Holmes. He had common sense, work ethic, respect, diligence, and a great attitude. But House was the opposite and the best doctor she had. “What am I going to do with him?”

“You know, even though Holmes backed off, you’ve certainly taken an interest in him.” Chase said to Cameron. “Don’t be an @$$, I’m trying to be polite. With you and House there, I was the only one who was going to welcome him.” “I didn’t welcome him because he didn’t belong! He’s not a doctor!” “Then why is it he came closer to solving cases than you?” Cameron shot back angrily. “Are you saying I can’t do my job?” Chase returned. Cameron was spared answering by House walking in with Foreman.

“Foreman! Good to see you!” Cameron exclaimed. “Hey guys. Yeah, I thought I’d drop by and let you know…I’m back.” Everyone congratulated him. They were monitoring their subject, a 42 year old female that looked like she was thirty. Across the hall, Cameron spotted Holmes walking by himself. It was weird seeing him across a lab like that. He had his head buried in his book, so he didn’t notice the stare Cameron gave him. She didn’t mean to stare, it just happened. “Okay, get the EKG done. Cameron, you take the blood sample. Foreman, you go do what Holmes was doing.” “What’s that?” “Cleaning my office, duh. You knew that!”

“Blood work showed a high potassium level.” Cameron pointed out. “The EKG looked normal.” Chase finished. House tapped his chin. “Hmm…what’s for lunch today?” Chase and Cameron looked at him intolerantly. “What, I’m just asking! Geez, you’re as stuck up as Cuddy! Now, high potassium level…what could that mean?” “That she eats lots of bananas, or had a history of kidney stones.” Chase answered. “Okay, check her kidneys. Meanwhile, I’ll check the cafeteria.”

Holmes walked past a therapy group. “Coping with Anxiety, led by Dr. Michael Kurlan.” Holmes studied the sign for a minute before glancing inside. He saw it was an age 6-13 group. He knew Dr. Kurlan from his own treatment. Kurlan waved him in. “Everyone, this is Doctor Holmes.” “Hi Dr. Holmes!” Came their bright reply. Holmes immediately picked out Anne and Charles Dalton. Charles had severe anxiety, and his mother, Anne, trust Holmes enough to come to him for advice. Dr. Kurlan asked Holmes “Do you mind telling them about your…history.”

“Foreman, this is your area of expertise. Hyperkalemia or Anxiety?” Foreman laughed a little. “How did you put those two together? They’re different ends of the spectrum!” “Do you have an answer, bright boy? Or should I go get the little white kid?” Foreman shook his head. “Refreshing to know you haven’t changed. But to answer your question, I think the heart is the right place to look. Hyperkalemia is a possibility, but the heart is the problem, so it could be any number of things.” “So go runs some tests already! Your job isn’t safe Foreman, you’ve got that skinny guy breathing down your neck.” House warned. Foreman couldn’t tell if he was serious or not.

Cameron walked by and spotted Holmes talking to a group of kids, a smile on his face. She stopped to listen.

“How many of you here are a little nervous to be meeting me?” Everyone raised their hands. “Don’t be! I’m just as scared of you as you are of me!” Scattered laughter from the parents. “Seriously though. I’ve lived with anxiety for thirteen years. It was misdiagnosed several times, and it was a rough road. I’m still not over it. This is why a group like this will be an incredible help. You are never alone. EVERYONE has some burden to bear, and this one’s yours. You can live with this, it can go away, and you’ll have a more or less normal life. And, if you ever need the help, your doctor, or this hospital, can help you find some. Don’t be shy to ask, that’s what doctors are for.”

Holmes waved at the kids and smiled. As soon as he was out in the hallway, his smile disappeared, replaced by a look of depression. He sighed deeply. “Holmes?” Dan whipped around. “Oh, Cameron, hi.” “Hi. Um, are you okay?” Holmes shrugged. “Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” Cameron rolled her eyes. “You’re not happy about not being in diagnostics.” “Pretty much anything is a step down, yeah. But I shouldn’t have been there to begin with, so I’ve got no room to complain. I’m just upset…all those kids…and their poor parents…” he stifled a sigh. “So, how’s Foreman doing?” Cameron rolled her eyes. “Well, House gave him the crap work he would give you, and Foreman’s not pleased.” “I don’t doubt, who would be?” “Chase is mad at me because…well, let’s of things.” “I’m sorry to hear that.” There was an akward silence, broken by Holmes’ pager buzzing. “Oops, pardon me. Lisa needs something…”

“Kidney’s are clear House.” House rolled his eyes. “Oh, for God’s sake! Let’s at least eliminate ONE possibility. He dialed Holmes’ pager number.

“So, Dan, how about taking the position as a radiation tech?” Cuddy asked kindly. “I’m sorry, I’m going to have to turn that down.” Cuddy nodded. “I know anything is a step down, and I apologize, but” “Don’t apologize for doing the right thing. I’ll think of something. I just need to clear my head and” Buzz. Buzz. “Pardon me Lisa, House wants something.”

House was pacing around his team when Holmes walked in. “Okay mister expert. Our big, bad neurologist can’t decide if this is anxiety or not. The symptoms are…” House wrote them on the white board. Holmes went up and crossed out “heart pounding.” The rest is anxiety. Most likely caused by the stress the heart is causing. Something’s wrong with her heart. The heart pounding frequency is too consistent to be anxiety.” House clapped mockingly. “Okay, so wonder bread there has made a point: Anxiety IS involved, but caused by something. And since we have no additional symptoms, what do we go on? Answer: Everything. Start her on Interferon, Clonopin, and…Celexa.” “House, you can’t just have her drugged!” Foreman argued. “Welcome back Foreman.”

“I feel bad for him.” Cameron said to Chase. “House called him in here just to humiliate him and Foreman.” Chase finally hit his breaking point. “Damnit, if you’re in love with the kid, go have “No strings attached” sex with him instead!” Chase shouted. “I’m in love with him? You’ve got better sources than me!” Cameron shouted. “I can’t believe you’re doging over my concern for a colleague.” “When you two pulled that little joke on me, you looked pretty damn comfortable lying on top of him half naked!” Chase shot back. “Will you let that go? It was a joke!” “The joke was on me! I can’t take it! Cameron, I just can’t put up with it.” “And I’m tired of your insane jealousy! I can’t make a passing comment about a good looking guy without you getting your panties in a wad!” Cameron yelled. “GUYS! SHUT UP!” Foreman finally shouted. “She’s developed new symptoms. Flu symptoms.” His cell phone rang suddenly. House’s voice greeted him. “Time of death 1:58.”


Start Track “The Memory Will Never Die”


“Fulminant Myocarditis.” House explained. “Rare disease…cut her down…” Even Chase and Cameron, who were fighting, stopped their squabble, shocked. “There was nothing we could have done?” “Nope. Death is funny like that, you can’t do a damn thing about it.”

Holmes finally shook hands with his new supervisor. Dr. Wilson needed an assistant, mostly to handle paperwork, but someone to talk to the patients when he couldn’t. Cuddy gave them both a smile, which wavered when Cameron showed up at the door. “Could I borrow you for a second Dan? She said, before walking out. Holmes looked at Wilson and Cuddy. “Go for it.” They said in unison.

“Listen, I’ve been thinking a lot lately. I think…maybe…you and I…you know.” She smiled and shrugged shyly. Holmes was taken aback. His stoic nature couldn’t even hide his shock. “But…I thought…” She smiled even wider and took his hand. “This isn’t a “rebound” thing Holmes. You’ve been on my mind, and I wonder if it’s because you and I were meant to be…” Holmes nature totally defied him. “My God…” he muttered. “You know, I WAS trying to kiss you six months ago, at the restaurant. I want to finish what I started.”

As she kissed him (eventually he kissed back), House and Foreman watched. “Good for him. He seems like a nice kid.” Foreman said. Chase joined them. “I can’t even blame him. He laid off Cameron. He was…he was the better man this time.” “No duh.” House said. “Christ, someone go break them apart, I don’t think they’re breathing!” House quipped. Chase smiled. “You know…it’s nice to see the kid get a break.”

Their kiss ended. “That was a long time coming Holmes.” Holmes nodded stupidly. She straightened his tie. “Come on, walk me home.” At Holmes shocked look, she laughed. “You’re too innocent to corrupt, no “guilt-free” sex for you. Maybe when you’re older.”

Wilson watched all this too. “I think you’re rubbing off on him Wilson. You sleep with your patients and colleagues all the time.” House pointed out. Wilson rolled his eyes. “You can be a bastard House.” “Born that way, sorry.”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on July 21, 2007, 4:40:07 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1You weren't kidding a surprise. And that was a tricky medical mystery. I couldn't even figure it out! Wow. Anyway. Holmes and Cameron are back together? I'm glad. The kid can use a break. Although i still smell trouble!