Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - And When Will I Ever Know?

Being cool doesn't always mean you're popular. But in this case, it does! (:

Chapter 4 - And When Will I Ever Know?

Chapter 4 - And When Will I Ever Know?
As I clicked OK to read the new message from Jake, my mom walked in my room. I quickly clicked END to hide the message, and slid my phone under my pillow. She didn't notice. Phew.
My mom sat down on one of the little stools and said, "I'm going to be taking an hourly 'interview' of questions and things just so I can analyze the data and tell you if you are ok, or if you're terrible, doing worse...stuff like that."
"Ummm...ok. I don't see why it's necessary, but whatever," I sat up, but then laid back down on my pillow, afraid that my phone might show.
"First," my mom said, "How do you feel?"
"Tired, weak, a little thirsty, and my head throbs," I said. I reached over to my nightstand and grabbed the little cup of water that my parents had given me. It had a bendy straw so I didn't spill all over myself. I'm usually clumsy when it comes to water and most things. Some people think its hilarious, and others just find it embarrasing to watch me trip and fall in department stores, where I ruin their display racks because I had high heels on or something.
My mom was writing on a little notepad. Then she continued, "Throat?"
"Fine."
"Neck?"
"Uhhh...neck???"
"Yes. I called the night nurse and she said that if your head and your neck hurt at the same time, that could be fatal."
"Wow...no. It doesn't hurt. Feels fine."
"Completely normal?"
"YES Mom!"
"Okay, just checking."
"Next??"
"Feet?"
"Fine. My left one itches though. Does that help?"
"No, I think you're just trying to be funny now."
"No I'm not."
"Well..." Mom said and she went up to get some lotion for my itchy foot. I put some on and it tickled for a while when I first put it on. Then it helped.
"Okay...next???" I asked questioningly.
"Tummy?"
"Fine. It's never hurt. I don't think it would hurt now."
I saw her pen scratching on the notepad. I didn't know how she could take SO many notes from just me saying so little.
"How exactly does your head hurt?"
"Umm well around my eye, theres this little patch, like right by my eyebrow," I pointed to the area, "It hurts right there."
"On a scale of one to ten, how much does it hurt?"
"About a...four."
"How many fingers am I holding up?" My mom said and gave me a thumbs up.
I laughed, and she left my room. Finally! I could look at Jake's text!
But then I heard my dad walking in the room, and I slid my phone back under the pillow.
"Hi," I said.
"Hello. You don't see me..." he said and disappeared for two seconds. Not enough time to look at Jake's text, unfortunately.
A paw came around the corner and my dad said, "Guess who I am!"
"Hmmmmmmmm well...you didn't grow fur, so I'm guessing...Thunder?" Thunder is my cat. He is gray and white. I have another cat, Leo, who is brown and he has a long tail. He must have been laying somewhere where he didn't want to be disturbed. Thunder was our first cat, so I think my dad has a secret favorite to Thunder. But he would never admit that.
My dad put Thunder down and he said, "How'd you know? You're getting to be too smart."
I sighed. Was I ever going to read Jake's text?
"What's wrong?" my Dad said.
"Oh, nothing. Just wondering when TV is ever going to put more game shows on for people who are sick! You only have the Price is Right on in the morning. Frasier's on after that. But then its just soap opera's and boring judge shows."
"I know what you mean!" my Dad agreed, "Next they're going to get rid of all the good shows and replace them with bad shows."
"Or, they're going to move all the good shows to one o'clock in the morning."
"Oh that'd be fun!" He sounded like he really meant it.
"Do you really mean it?"
"You really can't tell when I'm being sarcastic, can you?"
"Well...no. It's not very obvious."
"I need to go to the school of sarcasim."
"Yes you do."
"Will you teach me?"
"I guess."
"Now?" He was starting to act like a little kid. I was their favorite aunt or something. Or an old grandparent who was going to tell a fun story.
"Sure. Why not?" I tried to not sound sarcastic.
"Okay!!"
"Well, this is what you sound like when you're sarcastic," I changed my voice to as low as it could get and as boring and monotone it could get, "I'm not teaching you about sarcasim."
"I really sound that bad?"
"I'm a girl, remember? I can't exactly imitate your voice."
"Right, Rachel. Right. I totally forgot about that."
"You're still not good at it, but it takes practise. You have to make it sound more like the word or words that you are saying for the sarcasim are in italics. Now, say something in italics. Almost so that you see the italics. Okay?"
For the next about hour, I was teaching my dad about sarcasim. I was trying to be as brief as possible. Then my mom came in and she checked on me again.
I had a feeling that I wouldn't be able to read the text from Jake anytime soon, and I was getting a little anxious to read what he said.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

KokoroTsuki24 on June 1, 2009, 11:30:52 AM

KokoroTsuki24 on
KokoroTsuki24oh yeah. good chapter! lolz

KokoroTsuki24 on June 1, 2009, 11:30:37 AM

KokoroTsuki24 on
KokoroTsuki24ACH NO! i really wnated to find out! jeez you really know how to build up suspense dont you? oh well. and sarcasm doesnt have an "I" in it just so you know. ;D