Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - City of Ebony

The Fire Continent is covered in snow, and Sierra, Marth, and Roy think that the Water Continent is responsible. Can they get through this escapade? And Ariella's distant cousin? Find out in SMR 2!

Chapter 2 - City of Ebony

Chapter 2 - City of Ebony
Chapter 2: City of Ebony

Surprisingly enough, the trip there didn’t take long. Ebyon was approximately ten miles away from Jarus, making it only a day’s walk. They reached the city after the sun had set. The castle itself was massive. It was entirely made of dark ebony, and had ivory trim on the turrets and the terrace. Sierra decided to tell them why Ebyon was so significant. “Well, besides the fact that we have to get the Sarim Key, my friend Kaira, the princess here, is a good friend of mine. However,” Sierra said, looking towards a high black tower, “our friendship has such severe ups and downs, that Ebyon is basing their alliance with Jarus on our friendship. Silly, I know...Kaira wants peace, and I want peace too, but Kaira....she hates even the thought of battle.” “That’s crazy!” Roy said, “Although this continent has experienced a millenium of peace, we’ve had plenty of wars before!” Marth sighed, then said, “We should find Kaira and get the key. We need to leave sometime tomorrow.”

The three started to the gates of Ebyon, but not without being held up by ebon-clad guards. “What’s your business?” asked one guard. “I, Sierra of Jarus, came to see the princess. I also need a certain key to a certain ship in Sarim.” “Well, okay,” said the other guard, and the doors flung wide open. “Thank you!” Roy called from inside the city, once they got in. But before they even knew where they were, Sierra heard the gates fly shut. “Why are they so secretive about the barrier, Sierra?” Roy asked. “Kaira told me that they’re really having doubts about this winter weather. Could bring attacks,” Sierra replied, already feeling the chill of the secluded city.

They set to find princess Kaira, and sure enough, they found her in a snow-covered courtyard. Kaira had a black dress, and glistening silver hair. Her eyes were a piercing color of ebony. “Kaira? It’s me, Sierra.” “Sierra! Hi!” Kaira said, smiling, and giving Sierra a hug. “Who’s with you?” she asked, having a slight grimace. “This is Roy, lord of Pharae, and this is Marth, prince of the late kingdom Altea.” Sierra said, then asked Karia, “What’s wrong?” “You know I hate war, Sierra....they both look as if they’ve experienced it,” said Kaira. “They have,” Sierra said, “and I’ve experienced it too.” “What? How could you?” Kaira asked. “There’s what’s right, and what’s easy. Warfare and battle is definitely not easy, but Kaira, someone’s gotta do it.” “That’s it,” Kaira said, taking her staff and pointing it towards Sierra. “We’re dueling.” “How?” Sierra asked, “It’s sword versus staff. An unfair deal!” “That’s why I’m prepared!” Kaira said, and she pulled out a huge glistening silver sword, with a handle made of ebony. Sierra was speechless for a moment. “Kaira.....” Sierra said, drawing her sword, “...you’ll wish you’d never said that!” So the fight began. Before they knew it, magic was everywhere. Sierra’s earth prowess was against the dark ebony magic of Kaira.

“Roy!” Marth whispered, “come with me. I have a plan.” Roy nodded, taking one last glance at the battle Sierra was in, and followed Marth. They ran up the stairs of the courtyard and entered a hallway. It had the musty aroma of ebony, and it was impossible to see anything because it was well past dark. “Roy? A little help?” Marth whispered. Roy knew what to do; he created a small flame and set it above his hand. “Much better. Thanks,” was Marth’s reply. The flame proved itself worthy of being the best torch that ever existed. Not to mention perfect for the task that they were to pull off. Suddenly, they heard the clanking of armor. More guards.

~

“You’re just jealous because I have unequaled magic skill!” Sierra cried. Kaira had knocked Sierra down with a blow from that sword. It hit the magic shield, but it caused Sierra to fall nonetheless. “Maybe,” Kaira said, calling a ball of shadow to her hand, “maybe not....”

~

Marth and Roy were racing through the hallway, being pursued by ebon-clad guards. The musty air didn’t help much either, as Roy’s flame went out only seconds after they started running. “Where are we going??” Roy cried to Marth. “This door! Here!” said Marth as they slammed the ebony door behind them. “Now, what about that key....” Roy said, searching through some cabinets. “Found something!” Marth said, and he set the artifact on a table. It was a map of the Fire Continent. “It says here that Ebyon and Jarus never co-existed.....I wonder how come...” Roy thought aloud, “Wait...Sierra said that their friendship was the basis of Jarus’s alliance with Ebyon. I wonder if....they never were friends....I’ve got to find Sierra and save her!” Marth nodded, and they set out for the hall.

~

Sierra managed to dodge the blows of Kaira’s heavy sword. It was definitely apparent that Kaira didn’t know how to use it, as she was near-collapsing under its weight half the time. Sierra took advantage of these moments and uprooted vines to trip Kaira, delaying her more. “Why haven’t you stopped?!” Sierra cried, “I thought you hated fighting!” “I’ll fight to destroy our alliance any day!” Kaira replied, raising her sword, “We never were friends anyway!” Sierra stopped, and tears began to percolate and fall down her face...

“SURPRISE!!!” Sierra turned, it was Roy, sliding down a railing of the palace gate. She glanced closer, and she saw that his sword was ablaze, grazing the ebony rail. “One thing I’ve learned about ebony is that it burns easily!” he said, grinning. “THAT’S IT!” Kaira cried, dropping her sword and raising her left hand. “Let them be devoid of light, let their thoughts be full of fright.....” She was clearly chanting a spell, but nothing happened. Not even the slightest manipulation of the atmosphere occured. Sierra, not taking any more, burst into tears. “Kaira.....why? Why do you think we have evil hearts? Why....” she clutched the necklace she was wearing, and ripped it from her neck. Roy and Marth were silent, and rushed to Sierra’s side; Roy on her right, Marth on her left. “......I’m sorry.....” she whispered, choked in sobs. Kaira, her mission complete, laughed. “Well, it’s over! I win!” “Think again!” Roy said, pointing in the distance. Kaira turned; the palace was in flames. “You.......Sierra, you won’t be seeing the last of me!” With that, a blinding light flashed, and she was gone. “Let’s go,” Marth said. Sierra nodded, put her hands in a special position; leaves surrounded them; they were gone.

* * *

They camped out several miles away from Ebyon, towards Sarim. “Great,” Sierra said, “Kaira and I are eternal enemies, and we don’t have the key to Sarim....” “I don’t know about Kaira, but I can change the part about no key!” Marth said, smiling. He held out his hand, revealing a medium-sized silver key. “Thanks, Marth!” Sierra said, happiness faintly returning to her. “Sierra?” Roy said, “I have something for you.” He sat behind Sierra, and placed a chain with a small diamond pendant around her neck. Sierra was almost speechless. “Roy....” “I know, it’s a bit rushed, but I knew that you and Kaira had a friendship. That’s why you had the necklace. I’m giving this to you....to represent our friendship.” Sierra was happier than ever. She turned and embraced Roy. “Thank you....” she said. Marth chimed, “Who’s up for nut soup?” Sierra and Roy nodded, and rushed for Marth’s amazing soup.

The next morning, they awoke, and set out for the port of Sarim. About an hour or so of walking, they saw a beautiful harbor, alive with ships. “Ready?” Sierra said. Her two best friends nodded. It was time to go to the Water Continent.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

sago_wolfbeil on February 24, 2006, 11:03:34 PM

sago_wolfbeil on
sago_wolfbeilI'm working on the third chapter......it's pretty cool so far! I'll post it when I get the chance ^^

Fan-artluver on February 24, 2006, 10:58:03 PM

Fan-artluver on
Fan-artluverFIRST COMMENT! YAY! Only bad part: I skimmed. Anywho, I really liked this! Whenwill you continue?