Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Festivities: During

Elvira Simmons has just been reaquainted with her cousin, and tries to get along with him and his friends.

Chapter 6 - Festivities: During

Chapter 6 - Festivities: During
*[]= only Toby can hear them Chapter Six: Festivities: during 
There was knocking at the door and Elvira rushed to get it. Allex was still refusing to talk to Elvira, and him and Madelyne were sitting in the dining room talking while watching T.V.. She opened the door and greeted Toby, walking outside of her house and closing the door.
“Hey,” she said, closing the door.
“Oh….you’re ready?” Toby said, expecting that she would still be getting ready for the festival. Elvira smiled and nodded, trying not to have Toby suspect that anything happened earlier. She had been feeling so angry with herself for lashing out at Allex. It wasn’t his fault; he had a life. It was her fault, she wanted him to keep her company and not leave her alone. She realized this, but she was too scared to talk to him.
“You okay? You look-”
“I’m fine! Let’s go!” she said, trying to act cheerful. She looped her arm through his arm and tugged him down the street. “It’s at the park right?”
“Y-yeah,” Toby said, trying to slow Elvira down, seeing as she kept tripping him. He tugged his arm away from her grip. He walked slowly next to her.
“Are you sure you wanna go like that?” he asked, looking her up and down.
Elvira was wearing a short denim skirt with a loose brown shirt. She raised her eyebrow. “Why? Isn’t this normal dress?”
“Yeah…never mind,” he said, obviously avoiding something. Elvira wasn’t in the mood to pursue the reason why the way she dressed was so odd.
“So…let’s get going,” Elvira said, grabbing Toby’s hand. His face turned a light pink as she walked with him towards the park.
They arrived after a few minutes of walking. There were tents of different colors and sizes pitched everywhere on the lawn of the park. The smell of sweets and meat lingered in the air as Toby and Elvira walked happily through the crowded “aisles” that the tents created. Many of the people there were teenagers and young children, but every so often there would be a middle-aged or elderly man or woman. Elvira felt the weight of grief lift off of her shoulders as she saw the children running beneath their feet.
Toby stopped Elvira at a tent that sold food. “Do you want something?”
“Can I have a bowl of potstickers?” she asked.
“Yeah,” Toby said, turning to the young man behind a small table in front of the tent. “One bowl of pot stickers.”
“Sure, comin’ right up!” he said cheerfully, standing up. He walked into the tent behind him and began to cook the food. Toby turned to Elvira. She smiled at him.
“W-what? Is something wrong?” she asked nervously.
“Was Allex coming?” he asked.
“Yeah…”
“Why didn’t you go with him?” he asked as the man came out with a plastic bowl with three potstickers residing inside, floating in a small amount of soy sauce.
“Here you go, boy,” he said, chewing on a straw. “That’ll be two dollars.” Toby paid the man and handed the bowl to Elvira. They walked away from the stand and walked towards the pond near the eastern side of the park. There were a couple of couples there, making Toby feel uncomfortable. Elvira leaned against the railing circling the pond to make sure that no small children would tumble into the mucky waters. She nibbled on a single potsticker held up on her fork. She stared down at the pond silently while Toby fidgeted.
“Elvira?” he said, leaning against the railing next to her. “Why are we here?”
Elvira looked at Toby. “I don’t know…I wanted to come here. I haven’t been here before…,” she said softly. She looked up at the starry sky. “The sky’s so clear…”
“It’s usually like that during July,” Toby said, turning around, leaning against the railing with his back with his arms crossed over his chest.
“Toby?”
“Y-yes?”
“What exactly does the Light Festival celebrate?”
“You don’t know?” he asked, as if it was something everyone should know.
“In Imae we never celebrated any festival with this name,” she replied, taking another bite of the potsticker. “In fact….we never celebrated anything but the New Year.”
“Fh…the Light Festival…you know about those warriors that defeated the Merias?” Toby asked.
“Merias…you mean the demons that captured Munex? Yeah.”
“Well…back then this planet was named Bornik, not Munex. Anyways, this festival is to celebrate when the warriors destroyed the Merias,” he explained bluntly.
“Oh, is that it?”
“Heh…I guess so. Everyone makes such a big deal about this festival. They dress up-see?” he said, pointing to a small girl who was dressed in a medieval outfit. “I really doubt that they dressed like that…”
“Wasn’t that practically two hundred years ago? I wouldn’t be surprised if they dressed like that,” Elvira said, tossing the empty bowl into a trash can that was next to her.
“I don’t. It’s just my belief. I think that our civilization is exactly the same as theirs was,” Toby sighed.
“We don’t have any records of their civilization, right? How can you be so sure? If they did have the same level as us, then we would know-”
“How do you know? It’s possible…”
The two shared a moment of silence.
“What do you want to do now?” he asked, standing straight up. Elvira turned around, scanning the mass of tents. People scurried happily from tent to tent, leaving with a souvenir or food. I wonder if Allex is here. she thought sadly. Toby noticed that Elvira looked down, and patted her back.
“D-do you want to go play some of the games?” he asked, looking at her face.
“Sure,” she said, walking towards the tents. Toby followed. Something’s up… he thought, sighing.
Elvira led Toby, winding through people left and right. She was blocking everything out of her mind as she walked. She tried hard not to think of Allex, but he kept popping up into her mind. She walked faster, forgetting that Toby was trying to find her. It was too late for that; Toby had lost her a while ago. When Elvira noticed, she felt scared. Now she was alone, yet she was surrounded by tons of people. She tapped a auburn-haired girl on the shoulder. When she  turned around she found out that “she” was a “he”.
“Yes?” he asked, smiling as he looked down at Elvira.
He was slender, which was probably the reason Elvira thought he was a girl. He had shoulder length auburn hair with chocolate brown eyes. He had a girly face with glasses. His hair was parted to the left. He was taller than Elvira, about Bret’s height. He had a short-sleeved maroon shirt over a white long-sleeved shirt and blue jeans. He looked a little bit older than her, but she couldn’t be too sure.
“Ah! Uhm…h-have you seen a boy with long blonde hair…?” she asked, suddenly shy.
His smile faded away as he watched Elvira, and he narrowed his eyes. He shook his head a little, and smiled again. “There are lots of blonde people here,” he laughed. “Are you lost?” Elvira nodded silently.
“I’ll help you find your boy,” he said, setting his hand on her shoulder. “What’s your name?”
“Elvira,” she said, her face turning pink for no reason.
“I’m Malbeice. Where did you last see him?” he asked, looking around the crowd.
“I…we were at the pond,” she replied, pointing in the direction.
“Should check there first then,” Malbeice said, leading Elvira through the crowd.
They reached the pond, but Toby was nowhere in sight. Malbeice sighed. “Is he here?”
Elvira shook her head. “No. I don’t see him…”
“Are you a couple?” Elvira’s face burst into flames (figuratively O.o;;). She waved her hands.
“N-no! We aren’t like that!” she said, blushing furiously. Malbeice walked towards the railing around the pond and leaned against it. He was quiet. Elvira became uncomfortable.
“The sky’s clear,” he muttered, looking up at the sky. Elvira looked up too. She wasn’t too used to being able to see the sky, seeing as she was from the city where the lights always drowned out the stars. She nodded quietly. Malbeice turned towards her. “Maybe you should go home.”
“W-why? I’m looking for my friend,” she said shyly.
“Why not? He might’ve gone home. Guys are like that.”
“No. He wouldn’t do that.”
“How do you know? Have you known him for long?” Elvira was silent.
“Maybe he ditched you…”
“NO! Toby wouldn’t of done that! I want to look for him! You don’t have to come,” she said angrily. She was offended at how mean Malbeice was being.
“I was only saying that might be what he did. I never said it was the only thing he would do. Maybe he’s looking for you…heh…you two must be close,” he said softly.
“I…I’m going to go,” she said, turning around an heading back to the festival. She didn’t look back.
Malbeice watched her leave with a smile. Maybe she is her…looks like her, and acts like her, he thought, chuckling to himself.
~
“Godammit!! Where the hell could she of gone?!” Toby growled breathlessly. He was sitting on a bench near the area where he had bought the potstickers. He had been searching for Elvira by winding through the crowds, but it was extremely crowded. The man that kept the food stand smiled at Toby and fanned himself with a fan.
“Y’okay? Where’d that girl go?” he asked, putting up a small sign that told everyone that he was on a break. He sat next to Toby.
“How’d you-”
“Cursed with a good memory,” he said. “Y’guys came to buy potstickers earlier…where’s she?”
“I lost her,” Toby sighed, scratching his head. The man laughed and set his fan down on the counter of the stand to the left of them. Toby studied him. He was tall, with long legs, and had shorter brown hair with dim blue eyes. He was well built and he looked about four years older than Toby.
“That’s not too good,” he said, laughing. “Kids these days are so careless!”
“You sound like an old man,” Toby growled, glaring at the man.
“I’m so hurt,” he said heartily, hitting Toby on the back. He flinched.
The man leaned back against the light pole that was conveniently behind him and put a cigarette into his mouth. Toby watched as he lit it.
“That’s bad for you,” he said.
“Hm? Ugh…I know that,” the man sighed. “I get that too much.”
“Then you should stop.”
“It’s addicting.” The man turned towards Toby. “What’s your girl’s name?”
“She’s not my girl,” Toby said angrily.
“Whatever….what’s her name?”
“Elvira.”
“Hm…,” he said, thinking. He shook his head. “Sorry, can’t help you there…do you know anyone else she’s related to?”
“Why…?” Toby said uneasily.
“I know everyone around here. She’s new around here right?…I mean, I’ve seen you around,” the man laughed, not making Toby feel any better.
“Um…Allex Houtz?”
“Oh! I saw him around here too! He was with some girl….hm…,” the man said.
“W-who are you?” Toby asked nervously.
“Ah…sorry, forgot to introduce myself. Raymond. I usually work at the restaurant down the street,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck.
The two were quiet as they watched people walk back and forth in front of them. Raymond stood up and walked behind the stand.
Toby looked out into the crowd and rested his chin on his hands. People left and more appeared, making it seem like there was an endless supply to the people flooding throughout the area. He would every once in a while see someone he knew from school, but he wouldn’t say hi. They never liked him anyways…
“TOBY!!” Elvira cried as she ran up to him, nearly tackling him.
He was too surprised for words. He was busy thinking, he didn’t even see Elvira appear in the crowd.
“Where were you?” she cried, wrapping her arms around his neck tightly. Toby’s face turned pink.
“Where were you?! You just ran off!” he said, pushing Elvira away so that he could see her face. “You’re not supposed to run off like that! You’ll get lo-.” Toby quieted down when he saw Elvira’s face. Tears were streaming down her face. Her hands shot up to cover them up. She fell to her knees.
“Elvira…I, uh…didn’t mean it. Don’t cry!” he said, putting his hand on her shoulder as he knelt down in front of her.
“I don’t…don’t leave me alone….please…,” she sobbed uncontrollably, her shoulders shaking. Toby didn’t know what to do. Elvira grabbed the back of his shoulder and buried her face into his chest, crying. Toby sat there, arms twitching. What do I do? He asked himself nervously.
Two little figures that looked similar to Toby (they both had the long blonde hair) popped up on his shoulders, one on the left and one on the right. The one on the right had a small red pitchfork and a black suit with black sunglasses. It also had a long tail with a point and two small horns protruding from the top of his head. The one on the left was wearing a long white dress with a halo hovering above it’s head. It held a long golden staff (although the sleeves on the dress were too long; the hands were not visible). It was “the Little Devil and the Little Angel”.
*[C’mon Toby, she’s defenseless! It’s just what you’ve been dreaming of!] the Little Devil shouted, taking off his sunglasses, revealing red eyes. A small black forked tongue poked out of his mouth every time he talked.
[No! Toby! You musn’t! Think of how Elvira would feel…she’s in an emotional wreck! You must think of her feelings.] the Little Angel said, glaring at the Little Devil. The Little Devil stuck out his forked tongue and looked at his red fingernails while crossing his legs.
Toby’s eye twitched. Am I going crazy…what are these little things… he thought. He shook his head and opened his eyes. The two little figures still stood on his shoulders, the Little Devil looking at him as if he was an idiot.
[You’re so dumb…I mean, what guy wouldn’t want a cute girl in their arms. You’re acting totally gay…you sure you’re not gay, To-] The Little Devil was silenced when the Little Angel hit him across the face with it’s staff. The Little Angel turned towards Toby and smiled, little particles sparkling all around it’s face.
[You shouldn’t treat a girl in a way you’ll regret. You must always treat them with care; do you hear me?] The Little Angel said, lecturing Toby.
Toby’s head felt as if it was going to burst. This was the first time he had ever seen these two, and somehow it was giving him a headache. I’m sooooo loosing it… he thought, looking down at Elvira. She was still crying. The Little Angel looked down at her and sighed.
[Maybe you should find Allex? He knows her better than you do.] he suggested, as the Little Devil climbed back up Toby’s shoulder.
[Bloody hell! Lookit what you did!] The Little Devil screeched, showing his nemesis his sunglasses. They were broken in half.
[What comes around goes around.] The Little Angel said, puffing his cheeks up.
Toby helped Elvira stand up, ignoring the two little guys as they argued.
“You okay?” he asked.
She was still clinging to his chest. She sniffled and shook her head “no”. “Don’t leave me…”
“Do…you want to find Allex?” he asked, blushing a little. Elvira’s grip on his shirt grew tighter.
“No,” she answered quickly. Toby was silent.
“Can…I go home with  you?” she asked. Toby stood in front of Elvira, shocked.
“Wh-what?” he stammered.
“…please…I don’t want to go home,” she said, letting go of Toby. She stepped back and rubbed her eyes. I could borrow some clothes and say I’m a friend of yours. I’ll just sleep over…”
[Oooh! Maybe this is a con-fes-sion!] The Little creatures said at the same time.
[TAKE HER!] The Little Devil cried, waving his arms.
[NO! DON’T  GIVE INTO HER CHARMS! IT’S A TRAP!!] The Little Angel cried, hitting the Little Devil. Toby hit his right shoulder, smashing both of them. They disappeared.
“Sure…but do you have any boy clothes?” he asked.
She nodded and smiled. “Thank you…”
“Wait…where are the clothes?”
“… ._.()”
“…shoot…”
~
“How could he smash us both?!” The Little Devil screamed, slashing a tree that wasn’t much larger than him. The Little Angel glared at the Little Devil.
“Would you hush? I’m trying to read this novel…,” he said, adjusting his glasses as he sat on a large rock reading a thick book. The Little Devil sighed, leaning against the tree.
“Wonder what they’re doing right now…?” he asked, grinning. The Little Angel rolled his eyes.
“What do you think?”
“Oh hoho!” he giggled, putting his hand in front of his mouth.
“Geez…,” The Little Angel said, rubbing his temples.
 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment