Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Blind Man's Bluff

A young girl, living in Medieval times, lives as an outsider with only her cat for company. But one day she is invited to play a game with the other children. [Written in 40 mins to prompt "the cave."] [1 chapter only]

Chapter 1 - Blind Man's Bluff

Chapter 1 - Blind Man's Bluff
Blind-mans Bluff


I sat in the warm sunshine, trying to soak up the beauty of this lovely summers day. It seemed so easy for all the other children; all they had to do was step outside their cottage and they immediately absorbed the radiant goodness of the light, exuded a zest for life at every breezes touch. But I wasnt like other children. I was alone; apart. Something different. Someone else.
Blind-mans bluff! one of the children squawked, spinning about in the shimmeringly verdant meadowgrass.
1-2-3! I watched longingly from a distance, stroking my cat, Mathilda.
Youre the only company I have, I told her softly, running my mud-caked fingers through her midnight fur.
Suddenly, I heard a whoop and a girl, probably a summer or two younger than me screamed,
Oy! You! Wi the cat!
I looked up in astonishment. Surely she wasnt talking to me&
Know how ter play Blind-mans bluff?
I eyed her in shock. After a moment, I shook my head.
Oh.
She beckoned to her friends, and they stood huddled for a moments time. Suddenly, a burst of giggling approval shot from the huddle.
Well, then meet us in the Mosswart Cave up on the bluff ter-night an well learn you.
My pallid face must have been filled with blissful disbelief.
R-really? I managed through my thick Northern accent.
Why-why-
Midnight. Dont bring no candle.
And then the clump of girls scurried away, giggling. I watched them go, a crooked smile tipping up on my face.

I lay crouched by my rickety window that night, Mathilda curled in my arms. I had donned my Sunday apron in honor of the occasion, and I held my breath as I waited for the Churchs bell to toll twelve. Suddenly
BONG! BONG! BONG! BONG!too many bongs to count resounded over our sleeping village, obscuring the beautiful silence. Their sounds were swept away by the chilly night winds. I looked up at the icy full moon for courage, then abruptly squeezed Mathilda and leapt out of my window and onto the dark ground. We both emitted yelps of surprise and pain. We caught our breaths, and then our bearings, and then silently stood up and began walking North, towards the cave.
It was a long and lonesome walk, but there was the occasional chirrup of a cricket, and the song of a gusting wind when it was least expected to accompany us. As the cold began to seep into my bones, a gigantic bluff abruptly erected itself in our path. My heart began beating fasttoo fast, and my mouth and mind were filled with terror and joy. I was going to have friends! We were going to play and laugh and trade secrets like all children should! My belly filled with passion, I ran blissfully to the gaping black mouth of the cave, and the moon and stars disappeared behind a roof of stone.
I was immediately thrown by the absence of fresh, windy air and crickets. Hesitantly, I tiptoed along the cold, slimy floor, shying away in fright with every cold drip of contaminated water that trickled my way. My bare feet turned to ice, and somewhere a bat squeaked. A little shriek escaped me.
Ello? I cried out in fright.
Nothing.
Anyone ere yet?
Total silence.
In a moment, I knew I had been tricked. I fell to the disgusting, puddle-ridden floor, a scream of anguish fountaining from my heartbroken lips. It echoed around me, every second of its shrill cry splintering my heart into even smaller pieces. I began to sob.
You tricked me! I screamed.
You wicked, wicked girls! I shall never ave a friend!
And out of the cold, I felt a soft warmth touch my fingers, and a small, gentle cat crawling into my lap.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

dancing_thru_life on September 10, 2007, 12:08:18 PM

dancing_thru_life on
dancing_thru_lifeWow. I haven't read that in a while.
You really are a brilliant writer, Ellen.
You need to post more stories!
If you don't... I'll... I'll... ASPLODE!

_theater_freak_147 on May 29, 2007, 6:34:42 AM

_theater_freak_147 on
_theater_freak_147AWWWWWWWWW!!!! Poor girl!!! That was really really good Ella! Ha ha...We'll learn you...Haha...