Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - I Perform for Questions (Keene)

Separately, four people are talented artists. But together they become miraculous. They revolutionize a country by merely existing.

Chapter 1 - I Perform for Questions (Keene)

Chapter 1 - I Perform for Questions (Keene)
Cloth rustles and children chatter. I close my eyes, not to shut anything out, but to ease the muscles. I listen to the tensions, the rhythm of the audience. I smile as it ebbs into a question. “When will he start?”
Now.
The cherry wood viola slips under my chin and she begins. I play for minutes. I play for hours. If this ancient body could go without rest, I would play for years. I can feel my old man fingers creak as they shift. My wrist throbs with arthritis, but her music heals. Soon I won’t feel anything but the vibrating life that is nestled into my neck. The viola is like a lover: soft, tender, curvaceous. She becomes a part of you. But when you finally detach, she leaves you breathless, sore, and yearning. Now my dark lady trembles under my exploring fingers. I finally stop when my hands slip, drenched in sweat.
But when the music dies away in a whisper-like echo…there is still a question hanging over me. The audience still asks a question? All of a sudden I feel very old. I groan and just barely have the energy to collect the coins I have earned. My unseeing eyes twitch and I press on my aching temples. Never have I performed and received a question in return. Even when I was young and I could read the faces I played for, never a question was asked when I stopped to bow. I turn to leave the artist platform as the next performer arrives.

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on November 28, 2007, 8:58:23 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifeVERY NICE!!!! woot!!!!! are you a violist?

thelump on November 29, 2007, 6:03:46 AM

thelump on
thelumpI'm actually a violINist. But I have always envied those that played the viola... it has such a rich tone.

musicismylife on December 11, 2007, 7:05:27 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifetrue true. i is pianist+ violinist+ hopefully (eventually) cellist

redclaw on October 26, 2007, 10:54:19 AM

redclaw on
redclawooooooooo, very interesting......kinda confusing though...