Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Meeting (Keene)

Separately, four people are talented artists. But together they become miraculous. They revolutionize a country by merely existing.

Chapter 6 - Meeting (Keene)

Chapter 6 - Meeting (Keene)
We all met at midnight. I cannot tell you why. Perhaps it was pure coincidence. Or perhaps it was offspring of that great thing that stirs nations, governs hearts and provokes history. Either way, we came together. I still do not know if it was for good. The night was cold and the leftover performers and late night audience were sitting around fires, buying food and trinkets. My fingers were resting in the wooded bowl of berries cupped in my left arm. Suddenly young fingers touched my wrist. I was almost certain that these were music fingers.
"I play flute." Said a young voice. He said it simply, as if stating his name. He did not brag, he did not even think. Flute playing was simply something he did, just like breathing or blinking. I cleared my throat and popped another berry in my mouth.
"A flute player, hm? Can you pipe something for me?" I asked. His hand left my wrist and began to play. It was good. The tune lilted like shadows from a fire, and it tasted like berries. But it stopped at the sound of a woman's voice.
"Per-Kin!" It came with a swish of skirts. Suddenly, my questioner stood before me, and I knew she still asked it.
"Do you seek something, daughter?" I asked. After a pause...
"I'll return. One moment, grandsire." she replied. She turned and left quickly, like a stream flicking over pebbles.
"That's Dove, she has gone to get the drummer; she likes him. She likes you too, and so do I." The boy's voice was kind, happy and to the point. He didn't brag or praise for any reason. Everything he said was fact. I smiled at the comforting simplicity he used.
"Ahhhh" I sighed, and then laughed. "I am glad to be liked. Eat these, my flautist. I go to fetch wooden Lydia." I handed him the bowl of berries. " And Perkin?" I heard him swallow. "I like you as well. Will you play with me?" The boy did not answer for 4 long seconds. "Yes, of course." He finally answered. I smiled and turned to into the dark. Young musicians, they had spunk. But me and my beauty, we had such a long friendship; that was something youngsters couldn't give a claim to. I stepped up onto the platform to find her.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment