Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - compromises

three years in the future and Dib notices a change in Zim. He goes to investigate and finds out the truth or rather the lie behind his mission.Now Zims just trying to get by but it seems fate has delt him a losing hand when his base gets destroyed.Zi

Chapter 5 - compromises

Chapter 5 - compromises
chapter 5
        
        weeks went by and it became very rare when Zim didn't spend the night.Gir seemed just as happy as ever and had even gotten a new moose toy.Zim was content despite being homeless, he was a highly valued member of the basketball team.
Gaz's rehershals had gone well and her play was to be perfomed the upcoming friday, thier dad had even promised to come.Dib was doing very well at tolerating Zim but hadn't put a big effort into become friends with him.Gaz and Zim however had gotten to be pretty close and the three of them regurally had lunch together though few words were exchanged.

        It was the day before Gaz's play and Zim comfronted Dib after school was over during Gaz's final rehershal
"i need to talk with you Dib human" Zim said

"ok" Dib said curiously "what is it"

"the basketball team's big game is coming up" He said

"what are you nervious" Dib asked with a smirk "is the pressure getting to you"

"of course not stink-beast" Zim said aggitated "it just that it's tomorrow night"

"wait" Dib said suddenly seeming more aware "gaz's play,.....didn't you promise to be there"

"yeah" Zim said sighing

"it shouldn't be a big problem" Dib said "Gaz is pretty good about these things"
At that moment Gaz burst out of the school

"i can't believe dad" she said "he just called to tell me he's not going to make it tomorrow"

"he does this all the time" Dib said "you know you can't count on him"

"i'm just sick and tired of broken promises" she said "i'm going home"
Dib looked over to Zim when Gaz was out of sight "now you have a problem" he said

Suddenly the coach walked out
"there's my star player" he said "rest up for the game tomorrow we're all counting on you to bring us victory".the coach then smiled and walked out to his car.Dib could tell this was real important to him.
"you don't know what it's like to feel needed like that again" zim said to Dib "i can't let my team down".
Zim sighed and sat down on the steps.

"well when does your game start" Dib asked

" 6:30" Zim answered

"well that gives you half an hour before the play maybe you can catch the ending" Dib suggested

"maybe" Zim said "i guess we'll have to wait and see"

Zim didn't stay over that day and Dib could tell the next morning that it had been a very long night for Him.Dib didn't ask Zim about his decision and Zim didn't discuss it with him that day.
Lunch was very quiet, Zim and Dib gave each other occasional glances and Gaz kept rereading her script to herself.Later that day after school Zim rushed to the park where Gir was.

"where's my uniform Gir"zim asked quickly

"here you go master" Gir said handing him his jersey and shorts from under the pile of sand he had made

Zim dusted it off quickly "ok Gir you are to go to the school and monitor Gaz's play" Zim said "these special sun glasses i had in my pak will allow me to see what you see" he explained
Gir looked up at him "i'm gonna eats me some popcorn" he squealed

"yeah,sure"Zim said slightly ignoring him "just hurry up,once you get there sit with Dib he should keep an eye on you"

With that Zim rushed down the street to the opposing teams school.Once inside the Gym he put on his dirty jersey and shorts and sat down on the bench with the rest of his team.The coach was preping them for the Game "each of you have been givin an opportunity for greatness today" he said "some of you will cease this opportunity and others will fail but the important thing is that we win".The coach then looked over to Zim and winked
"right kid" the coach said

"yeah" Zim answered unsure of himself "what could be more important"

"that's right" the coach said "lets get out there and win"
everyone ran out onto the court, Zim was to jump for his team.The whistle blew and they were off.Zim always played hard but this time he kicked it into over drive making basket after basket.Back at his own school the play was going to start in 15 mins.Gir walked happily into the autitorium with a large bag of buttered popcorn and immidiately noticing Dib near the back row skipped over and sat down beside him.Dib looked over confused "uh....hay Gir, where's Zim"

"oh master went to go play" Gir said "wants any popcorn"

"no thanks" Dib answered "i guess Zim made his decision"
Just then the director came on stage to introduce the play.

        back where Zim was he had just sat down on the bench to rest and grabbed out his sun glasses.At first he could only see Gir's hand shoving popcorn into his mouth but then Gir looked up and began to pay attention."thank goodness"Zim thought to himself

"get back in there boy" the coach yelled as he pushed Zim out onto the court. Zim desprately tried to play while watching the introduction in his glasses.
Finally he began to loose his balance while a member of the other team elbowed him in the gut and he landed hard on the ground. his glasses fell off in front of him and the kid that had elbowed zim stepped on them.Zim had gotten the wind knocked out of him and he watched in horror as the glasses were crushed. some of his team mates began to run over towards him (being the star player he was very valuable)

Time seemed to stand still as they ran towards him

'what should i do' zim thought to himself.

suddenly he knew "oh my leg" Zim yelled grabbing his knee "the pain the horrible pain".The coach ran out to see pushing other members of the tem out of his way "can you play boy" he asked
"i dont think so" Zim answered as if it was hard to talk "the pain hurts so bad"
"this is all my fault" the coach began to cry "i pushed you to hard"
a couple of his teammates brought Zim to the bench
        
        (back at the play the director was just finishing up "and now here it is" he said
"gaz is in the next scene"Dib whispered to Gir who had already fallen asleep.)

"coach" zim called "since my leg is probably broken could i go to the nurse"

"sure kid" the coach said putting his hand on Zims shoulder "you brave brave Kid".Zim nodded and limped out of the gym. once out he ran down the hall and exited the door.

"here it is" Dib said to himself as Gaz walked out.she looked across the room to see Gir and Dib but not Zim.Dib had gottan pretty good at reading his sisters nearly emotionless face and he could tell she was disappointed as she began to speak.
Suddenly the doors flew open and Zim staggered in breathing heavily.Everyone looked back at him but Gaz Quickly recaptured thier attention when she began to speak.Zim wobbled over to the seat beside Dib and sat down.
He was wearing a black jacket over his clothes and still panting.
"what about the game" Dib aksed
"they do not need Zim to win" he said regaining his breathe "i trust my team to bring us victory"
he then turned to watch.Dib glanced back over to Zim he couldn't believe he had left his game to come see gaz's play 'wow' dib though to himself 'Zim has really changed alot'

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment