Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - New Years

This is a story that I have been writing that is based on actual events in my life, in a way. In the story the girl is breaking out of her comfort shell and becoming the person she wants to be. Other people consider her a poser as she makes these changes.

Chapter 2 - New Years

Chapter 2 - New Years
 The week went by quickly. Unfortunitly. Soon enough, it was New Years Eve, and my parents and I were getting ready to go to my Aunt's house to watch the fireworks. She lives in a large apartment along the harbor. She's so close to it, that you could walk to it from her apartment. Across the street from her apartment building is a large park. Within the park, you could follow a varies of paths to get to the water, the docks, anything. Every year, fireworks go off in the harbor from a boat. They're so close that it seems like they're just playing for us. Though, I've lost intrest in the fireworks these past couple of years. They just lost their excitment. Of course, I've been seeing them for eightteen years, so I'm probably just sick of them.
  I didn't dress up. I just put on a pair of jeans, a black shirt, a blue sweatshirt, and my black Ugg boots. This year, I would probably just hang out in the guest room, like I did last year. Which isn't bad, because the guest room has a TV.
  My parents are just really weird. They don't usually pay much attention to me. Either that, or they just figure that I don't like to talk alot. Either way, whenever in a car with them, I never get included in the conversations. I caught onto this awhile back, and I started bringing my iPod everywhere I go, and listening to it all the time.
  It's probably my fault that my parents don't talk to me alot. I don't actually blame anyone. You're probably thinking, "Well, if they see you with your iPod, they'll probably think that you don't want to talk to them. Or that you're busy." Right? I agree. But for so long they just didn't talk to me, while I was sitting right there. And if my dad was talking about someone from work, for example, his boss, who he thinks is a total idiot, then I might say something like, "Your boss is the guy whose name was John and he had the Green SUV, right?" And my dad would stop, glare at me, and say something like, "Aphrodite, this isn't concerning you." Even though he had never addressed anyone in particular in the car. It had just been him talking, and my mom and I would just listen. So, it might be my fault for always listening to my iPod, but it was their fault for not actually listening to me.
  Every year I try to get out of coming to the party. I pretend to be sick, or I just argue with them for hours on end. But I always end up coming. And every year, I find someone to talk to. Last year I was talking to my aunt's friend's daughter.I remember her especially because she was also named after a greek goddess. Her name was Artemis. We had both decided to hide in the guest room until the party was over. I hadn't talked or seen her since because she lived in a different town that was across the state.
  My aunt, I guess you could say, knows alot of people. So it isn't just some little family gathering when she throws this party. It's a big, huge bash that everyone wants to come to. So, there's always someone my age, or at least close to it. She has friends and family and co-workers come to this party. Everyone really just loves the view. She has this balcony that is in the front of her apartment, so that she has the best place to see the fireworks. I remember one year I went up on the roof and dropped things on the people who were watching the fireworks, and they never found out that it had been me. 
  As soon as we pulled into the street that my aunt lives on, I could tell that we were late. Maybe not late, maybe just one of the last people to arrive. There were cars parked on either side of the street, all the way down. We finally found one on the left side, after another car had pulled out. By the time my dad actually shut off the car, we were late. He was really bad at parallel parking. It was his greatest weakness, and I laughed everytime he had to do it.
  We walked up to the party. Well, my parents walked. I glumly dragged my feet up the stairs. She lived on the second floor. She had the whole second floor to herself, it had two bedrooms. The guest bedroom is in the perfect spot because it was in the back of the apartment, and no one went back there. So even if I was in there with someone, no one would hear us talking. Especially with the music and loud talking.
  My aunt greated us at the door. She hugged my parents, and just when she was about to say hello to me, someone called her name. Which was fine by me, I wasn't really into the whole, "How are you, dear? You've grown so tall. You look just like your mother. How is school? What college are you going to?" scene. I made my way to the hallway without anyone noticing. They probably figured that I was going to the bathroom, which is in the same hallway.
  I went down the hallway, and I heard the sink running. I quickly made my way to the back of the hallway and opened the door and stepped in. I took my iPod and stuck in the ear-peices in my ears. I was about to turn it on, but that's when I noticed something. I wasn't the only one in the room. There were two other people. One, who I knew, and one, who made my heart stop when I saw him.
  

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment