Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 0 - In Which History is Reviewed

Corny as it sounds: five or six characters in a band, living in an incredibly isolated place, and they all have elemental swords. Then one of them gets orphaned, and sent to the mainland--but the majority of the country is taken over by demons!

Chapter 0 - In Which History is Reviewed

Chapter 0 - In Which History is Reviewed
Fixed it! (mostly.  The diagrams probably died, but I'm not sure I can help that so much.)
 (Thanks to Werecat13, my best-friend-type-person (or something), the first not-me and still-alive creature that I can garauntee has ever been vaguely aware of this story.  She also advised me as to whether or not to post this and another story, and I really trust her enough that I posted this with only her word and a little bit of...something.  Pride, maybe?  But I don't really think I have any of that ^-^; hehe...oh well.  Here's to the great Werecat, to whom I probably owe a request or something at the very least.  I should probably make that official, if only my workload would stop...having babies or something...why can't workloads be the kind of creature that eats its babies/is eaten by its babies?

To avoid confusion, I'll make it clear that the prologue is basically a school lesson, told in the near-exact words of the teacher.  And I tried to make diagrams, too, but I can't garauntee that they'll come out with any decency.

Anything in-between two *'s isn't really part of the story, just a comment on something wrong with the format or something.

Now enjoy/go away.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prologue-
A lecture from the mouth of a crazy history teacher[/i]



This land is divided into regions, which are divided into Greater Sections, which were divided into lesser sections [or at least, so was the case of the Human Continent]. Each section is square, with about five [out of several hundreds] making an exception, as they were rectangles [which are extremely similar to squares, if you don’t already know]. Every lesser section was given a letter-number-letter-number name, the first letter and number being for the Greater, and the last letter and number being for the lesser section. Basically, the thing was on a graph like you see in math class, and the letters were the x-axis [where A=1, B=2, AA=27, BB=28, etc.], and the numbers were the y-axis. So, in the bottom left corner of a map, you saw:

_________________________
|   A2    | B2      |   C2    |   D2    |
|______|_____ |_____ |______ |
|   A1    |  B1     |   C1    |     D1  |
|______| _____|______|______|

*Those are supposed to be pretty much square*

Most of these sectors also had “tourism” names, city names. For example, sector A1A1 was known as Dimin Town, but nobody really knows that after its residents.

Speaking of, just to make sure you know [because you kids are always so ignorant], Dimin Town is the name of our town. As you may be more likely to know, Sector A1 is a very small Greater sector, and sector A1A1 is—oh, I’ll just draw it on the whiteboard. It looked something like this:

|_ A2A1 ___|___ A2B1 ___|
||-------------|---------------||
|                   |                       ||
|                   |                       ||
|__A1A2 __|___ A1B2 ___||__B1A2__
|                   |                       ||
|                   |                       ||
|__ A1A1 __|___A1B1 ___||_B1A1____ 

*Those were, too*

Basically, A1A1 is very small, and on the very border of the SW region of the Human Continent [and, of course, the Human Continent is a large section of land that the demons allowed the humans to use. It’s completely surrounded by the Demon Continent, except in sector CC33C3, where a small lake divides the Human and Demon continents. There are age-old legends of “oceans”, but such things are no doubt merely a part of demon-tolerant mythology]. It’s so close to the Demon Continent that demons have taken over all of A1 except for A1A1, and the residents there have long since learned defense if they hadn’t made friends with someone who did.

And now I explain the Regions. A basic map:

________________________________
|                               |                               |
|       Northwest        |      Northeast          |
|            Region        |                Region     | 17-33
|                        ___|____                        |
|                       |              |                        |
|___________ |              |____________|
|                       |_______|                        |
|       Southwest        |         Southeast        | 1-16
|            Region        |                Region     |
|                              |                                |
|_____A-Q ______|______ R-EE_____|

*Again*

The part in the middle is known as the Central Region. In the middle of this is the capital, where all the politics happen. All Greater sections are represented [except A1, which has a human population considered far too small for individual representation, so it shares a representative with B1]

Now while you get that down, I’m going to ramble about this place’s past.

A long time ago [nobody knows when, they just remember parents saying what their parents said to them, otherwise we wouldn’t even know this happened], demons ruled both continents. Humans had one hell of a time getting by, so there wasn’t much trouble over politics and whatnot, just killing demons before the demons killed them.

Well, eventually, a more kind-hearted [or at least not as violent] demon took power over demons [and they DO have political problems because, unfortunately and contrary to popular belief, demons aren’t just brainless animals], and he [or she; no living human knows which, but there are strong beliefs that he was a cat demon] decided that we really did have it rough, and decided that we could have our own plot of land. He gave a small piece of land to six families. Each family grew into a city, which grew into a Greater sector, which grew into a region, which ran into others, which formed the Human Continent. And I know that I only showed five regions. One of them is supposedly on an island, far out in one of those great oceans, if it even exists. The island is supposed to be a fairly large one, but ruled by some more violent demons, so the Sixth Region, to the Human Continent, has been dead for centuries.

Going back to the Human Continent, it eventually grew so large that many demons began attacking human settlements just because they were close enough. The ruling demon didn’t stand for that, but he didn’t like us expanding so much, either. So he settled it by drawing a line that no humans were to cross and moved the violent demons away from the line. Since there weren’t rivers or anything to keep the humans in, he had to give up some imagination; hence why the Human Continent is a perfect square.

About halfway between the drawing of the line and the time of this story, A1 was a frightening sector, especially to “civilians”. Demons were beginning to cross the line, though very few actually attacked humans. They were just paranoid because, well, they were demons. People refer to this time as “The Conquering of A1”, though it wasn’t a real conquering. Basically, people got so paranoid that they either learned to live alongside the demons like old friends, moved up to the front lines of A1A1, or retreated back to the city, which was easily the popular decision. It was only after the “conquering” that the representative idea came into play, so A1A1 was not actually included on the system until they protested enough to have their representation shared with B1.

And thus, my lecture ends. And I’m not going to repeat it, so don’t you dare forget it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(And thus ends my lovely lesson of a prologue.  I hope you enjoyed.  And if you didn't, go away.  The next chapter or two should be up pretty soon.  I'll explain a little more later.)

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment