Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - First Days Of Hell

This is my third story! w00t! Anyway, this is about a girl named Yuki, she is a princess in the land of Snow. However, she is hated because she is the daughter of the cruel king. Please Enjoy!

Chapter 6 - First Days Of Hell

Chapter 6 - First Days Of Hell
A/N: Yay! Next chappie! Yea, no reviews last chapter but that’s ok. I’ll update anyways. ^_^
Please Read and Review!


It had officially been 2 days since I was sneaked out of the castle. Word must have spread fast that I, the Snow Princess had vanished with out a trace because every town we had passed through was abuzz with the subject.
I still wore the cloak, and at one resting place, people were giving me suspicious looks. Truthfully, I miss home, and mostly because Mero is still there. I couldn’t really sleep at night, worrying what could have happened to her.
However, whenever my mind wanders to the miserable subject, I always figure that once Mero found out I had disappeared without her, she would escape the castle and come to find me. Hey, it keeps my hopes up, and I’ll ask Shika-san if we can take a day off, to see if Mero really does show up.
Were on our third town already! I’m seeing more of our country I would have ever seen cooped up in that castle, so I have been cooperative. Shika-san doesn’t order me around, but he doesn’t let me slack off at all. Our breaks for lunch are 15 minutes. Sleep time is strictly 2 hours, and I’m starting to get into the habit of getting up early and on my own. Kohiko would probably be proud, but she wouldn’t say it.
I have to admit, its really hard finding food. Last night, Shika-san taught me how to catch small game like rabbits and small birds. I was trying, I really was, but couldn’t find it in me to stab the poor robin which was squirming around in my grasp. So I was sent back to camp to start a fire, while Shika-san fetched some other prey and cooked us rabbit. It didn’t taste good, I remembered father once telling me it was an acquired taste.
Before we entered a small town, Shika-san told me we were heading towards a village in the mountains that only a select few on the outside knew about. What worries me is that he never goes into detail about what we’ll do there. All I know is that its high in the mountains, barely anybody knows about it, and people there live a hidden life. Its very annoying. I almost yelled at him once, but decided if I did it would seem like I didn’t trust him anymore.
I didn’t wear the cloak anymore, but instead had to DYE MY HAIR to cover up my unusual lavender colored hair. My hair was now a very light brown, which lets just say isn’t one of my favorite colors anymore. Also, Shika-san cut my hair so it that the longest strand of hair reached to my shoulder. Since my hair had always been naturally short and only reached to the bottom of my shoulderblades before we escaped the castle, he didn’t have to cut that much. My bangs were always shoulder-length, so they weren’t butchered at all.
Me and Shika-san entered the village and split up, me for supplies like hunting weapons and medical items such as healing herbs and bandages. I had half-a-mind to question him as to why we needed to get medical equipment, but decided otherwise and trotted of towards a street specifically marked ‘traveling supplies’. Strange, ne?
“Ho-hum, ho-hum…” I mumbled miserably. I had found all hunting weapons and even bandages, but no healing herbs or other medical plants! I reached the end of the street and checked to see if I was still on ‘traveling supplies’. I was. So I made another trip down the street, and about 8 other trips too, still to no avail.
I was starting to get mad right about then. “WHY DOES THIS STREET HAVE EVERYTHING BUT MEDICAL PLA--” I was about to say ‘plants’, but was cut short when I heard something even more annoying behind me.
“Medical herbs, get your medical herbs here! Picked today!” it was an old man advertising for those STUPID little- well, you get the idea. I got really mad, but more at myself than at the old man and his wife running the stand. Throwing my hands dramatically into the air, I scurried over to the booth. Indeed, there was a huge sign indicating ‘Medical Herbs and Plants’. Right about then I started wondering if it got there magically and that I was under a curse.
I chose a few and paid the woman, leaving before I made even more of a fool of myself. Shika-san had told me he would be in the market before we split up, so I walked, or rather ran, towards the street this time specifically marked ‘market’.
After running down three quarters of the street, I finally found Shika-san. He was choosing the fruit carefully and throwing them into a bag. I saw he had a lot of other full bags as well, my mouth started watering as I imagined that nights feast. So, to make my small entrance, I walked nonchalantly over and waited until he paid. Shika-san saw me and smiled as he walked over.
I’m pretty sure I blushed that time, and I felt like punching myself for it. Lately, I’ve been noticing that Shika-san gets more and more handsome. As I said a long time before, he was NOT cute anymore.
His hair isn’t semi-spiked anymore either, its grown down to his chin-length so now Shika-san keeps it in a hair-tie that I loaned him. He looks kind of funny, and I’ve gotten into the habit of calling him ’Pineapple-Head’ because that just what he looks like now, a well-toned body, (stop it stop it! Cannot talk about him like that!) with a pineapple on it.
He’s gotten a lot taller too, but denies it and says I’m getting tall too. Ha! I wish. I’ve probably grown, what, two inches?! That would make me 5’ 4” so sounds good.

0o00o0

That night, and much to my dismay, we had no feast. In fact, we split half of a rabbit and had a small plum each. Strangely, we lost one of our blankets, and so me and Shika-san had to share the last one that night. I felt my cheeks a few times and I was burning hot, probably from blushing so much when Shika-san mentioned we would be sharing the blanket. I think I almost fainted! Thankfully, I didn’t, that wouldn’t have been good... my mind had gone crazy with the "wake up time, Yuki" possibilities.
The next morning I woke up a few minutes later than usual. I had gotten changed behind one of these tall bushes that seem to grow everywhere and produce small berries. If your thinking “Why would she do that? I mean, its got to be cold in a land of Snow!!”. Well, your only partly correct. Yes, it is cold, but I’ve grown up here, and I can go out in a short skirted and sleeveless kimono and still be comfortably warm! Impressive, don’t you think?
Shika-san had declared that day a rest day, noticing that I had been coughing quite a lot and that I had to breathe through my mouth most of the morning. I’m grateful because now I can wash all those dirty clothes! And come to think of it, if Mero was tailing me, she might find me soon! If she figured out that I was gone the morning after, I know she would be only a couple days behind me. With her animal instincts I can also be reassured that she’ll have dinner every night.
Shika-san had departed from the campsite around noon, leaving me to wash the clothes in a small mossy creek nearby. It was somewhat painful to do so, 1) never having done the task in my 14 years of living, and 2) because after awhile, your back is strained bending over the chilling water trying to not slip in.
Luckily, I didn’t slip, although I came pretty close at one time. ‘Wonder when Shika-san is going to be back,’ I thought to myself as I hung the damp clothes on tree branches to dry. Leaning back against the tree, I inhaled a deep breath, holding it in a few moments before exhaling. I was truly tired. ‘I hope we get to that mountain village soon, this is getting really tiring,’ I thought to myself.
I leaned forward away from the tree and watched the mountains. “Looks about one more day and we’ll be at the foot of the mountain,” I told myself. The crunching of leaves tore my attention away from the mountain and to my left.
The sound stopped and the person or thing never came out, which made me very suspicious. Thanks to that hideous wig, if the people weren’t Shika-san, it wouldn’t be so easy to figure out who I was. There’s no way to hide my grey eyes, which are very rare in my country.
Whispers could be heard from behind the tall bushes. Sometimes they were excited, sometimes very serious. I knew that it couldn’t have been Shika-san, because he would have stepped right out instead of prolonging my confusion…

~~___________________________________________________________________~~
Hee, yea! Cliffy again!
Hehe, hope you liked it! Yes, first bad days indeed…
The part with the market and the ‘traveling supplies’ aisle, was intended to sound like a bad shopping experience. Y’know, like how sometimes you go to WalMart and you cant find something and right when you least expect it, it jumps out at you. (…and you get super pissed?) (... you know you do. dont deny it!) (...it's nothing to be ashamed of)
Lolz Review please!

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

MidNightWander on April 2, 2007, 1:17:03 AM

MidNightWander on
MidNightWanderYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE!!!!!!!!!!

pleaseme on March 15, 2007, 6:44:32 AM

pleaseme on
pleasemeIt is going to be someone that is going to kidnap her? Or something like that?