Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Fae of her Dreams

Feeling sad and unwanted after the birth of her younger sister, a ten year old Cassandra finds solace only in her dreams; dreams of a magical realm far from her own. Dreams of a Fae...

Chapter 1 - Fae of her Dreams

Chapter 1 - Fae of her Dreams
Disclaimer: This story is the product of watching Labyrinth too many times in one week, as it will say in the story itself. Also, the main character in this is based slightly after myself, but not quite. If youre unsure of what exactly Labyrinth is, its a fantasy movie that came out in 1986 starring David Bowie as the Goblin King and Sarah Connelly as the heroin, Sarah. Its a very intriguing and wonderfully done movie, and I recommend it to all fantasy lovers out there. They havent made many good fantasy movies since Labyrinth came out. But anyways, all characters belong to me, as does the plot.

Authors Note: Please do not assume that simply because one of my characters may have the same name and similar looks to a characters in the aforementioned movie, that I stole the character from the movie. I did not; I borrowed a name, nothing more. Thank you.

Summary: Feeling sad and unwanted after the birth of her younger sister, a ten year old Cassandra finds solace only in her dreams; dreams of a magical realm far from her own. Dreams of a Fae companion much older then herself. For the next six years of her life, the dreams give her happiness. But when the dream begins to fade, only then will she discover that what we see in our sleep can become reality&



--------------------------------------

SOLACE IN HER DREAMS

By Amaria

--------------------------------------

Chapter One: The Fae of her Dreams



They were ignoring her again.



Cassandra sat in the center of the large, plushy couch, silent as she watched her parents sadly. The two adults didnt even notice that their oldest child sat there, awaiting the customary Family Movie night that they had engaged in every Friday night since she was four. Her hands held tightly to the copy of Labyrinth her parents had taped for her off YTV roughly four months beforehand, waiting for the adults to remember what time it was and turn to her to see what movie she wanted to watch.



The ten year old had become slightly obsessed with the old fantasy movie; the wonderful characters and plot of the story had taken hold of her and refused to let go, despite the lack of CGI effects that movies tended to overdue in the newer films that were released. It had offered her an escape from the lonely existence she lived through every day of her life since her sisters birth in 1998. Cassandra had known that something had changed the day her parents came home from the hospital with her baby sister in their arms, noticing the way they had ignored her in favor of the baby. Even though she was only seven at the time, shes known right away that shed done something wrong. She didnt know what; she just knew that something shed done had caused her parents to change their attitudes towards her.



Cassandra had only recently realized that it was her that had caused her parents to change. Where other girls her age were experimenting with makeup and had begun to like boys, Cassandra would often sit by herself at school, her nose stuck in a fantasy book or manga book. Though she was athletic, she didnt go out for any of the sports teams, nor did she join the drama camp like her mother had wanted her to the summer before Caroline was born.



And so, they had begun ignoring her, using the baby as an excuse when the ten year old so obviously craved their affection. They lived far from the rest of their family, so Cassandra was only able to see her grandparents or uncles and aunts once a month, at the most. Her grandparents showered her with love and presents whenever they came to visit, attempting to show her parents the error of their ways by only giving Caroline something if it was her birthday or Christmas.



This had had the opposite effect. John and Leeanna began to limit what they bought Cassandra, ceasing in taking her out for ice cream or trips in the summer, instead leaving her with a baby-sitter while they took Caroline out to have whatever kind of fun it was a three year old could. This hurt the girl; a lot. She began to wonder whether she was worth anything at all.



Sighing, her shoulders slumping slightly when she realized her parents werent going to stop playing with and cooing over Caroline anytime soon, Cassandra called out in her small voice.



Mommy, Daddy, can we watch a movie now? John and Leeanna turned to look at the blonde haired girl, as though just now noticing that she was there.



Oh, yes, of course sweetie, Leeanna cooed fake-ly, the ten year old not fooled for a second, what movie would you like to watch?



The little girl held the tape out, John striding over and taking it from his, his brow creasing when he read the title.



No, were not watching this, he said sternly, handing it back to the surprised girl.



B-but why Daddy? she whimpered slightly, her silver-grey eyes now glistening with un-shed tears. Her father didnt even notice.



Its to violent for a three year old, he replied, turning back to the video cabinet and pulling out a purple tape case, why dont we watch a barney movie instead?



Barney, Barney! Caroline giggled from her mothers arms, Leeanna smiling fondly at the brunette.



Yes, that sounds like a good movie, she agreed with her husband, moving to the couch and frowning down at her eldest daughter, Cassandra, could you please move?



But&seeing her mothers stern look, the girl slumped completely and shuffled to the very edge of the couch, her mother sitting on the other end with Caroline still held in her arms. John sat down beside his wife, putting an arm around she and the three year old while practically suffocating Cassandra against the side of the couch. Wiggling free, she plopped down on the couch and resigned herself to watching Barney, doing her best to ignore the whispering of her parents and the giggling of her sister and trying to keep her focus on the idiotic purple dinosaur dancing across the screen.



At that moment in time, she wouldve liked nothing better then to have stolen Jeffs sword and run it straight through the stupid purple beast. That was one thing her parents didnt like about her, she mused, the fact that she disliked many things that other kids her age loved, and adored things that they would run from. It wasnt as though she could help it; how was she supposed to change her personality without becoming someone she wasnt?



Well, I need a drink, you guys want anything? John said suddenly, standing.



Just a glass of milk and a bottle for Caroline, sweet heart, Leeanna murmured, bouncing the brunette gently on her lap.



A can of Pepsi please, Daddy, Cassandra said quickly, turning back to the screen when he left the room. He returned moments later, handing the milk and bottle to his wife before settling himself back onto the couch, opening his own can of Pepsi and taking a long sip from it. Cassandras face fell; hed forgotten her again.



Tears bursting from her eyes, the girl stumbled to her feet and ran off towards the stairs, headed for her bedroom. The fact that her parents hadnt called after her, hadnt cared, hadnt even noticed that shed gotten up just made the tears flow faster. Slamming her door behind her and diving onto her bed, Cassandra buried her face in her pillow and sobbed, her small shoulders shaking.



Its not fair! she cried silently, looking up from the pillow to gaze at the moon outside her window, why do mommy and daddy hate me so much? All they ever think about anymore is Caroline! They dont even notice me anymore& sobs slowly turning into sniffles, eventually her crying stopped completely as Cassandra drifted off into sleep, tear stains evident on her cheeks.



XXXXXXXXXXXXXX



Cassandra looked around in awe, spinning to take in the entire view. Wherever she was, it was beautiful! Flowers she couldnt name bloomed all over the small clearing she currently stood in, trees rising up around her in a circular barrier of sorts. Nearby, a babbling brook emerged from between the trees, running off into a sparkling pond of clear blue water. A waterfall also ran into the pond, its sides running behind the line of trees. There looked to be a cave to the one side, but Cassandras eyes were drawn back to the pond when colourful fish began to jump up into the air, sparkling in the bright sunshine that filtered through the clearing.





Feeling warm, the girl glanced down and realized she was still wearing her sweater and jeans from when shed fallen asleep. Realizing that she was most likely dreaming, Cassandra rolled up her jeans and her sleeves, taking her socks off completely to wander through the clearing in bare feet, smiling at the feel of the soft grass on her soles. She moved towards the waterfall, walking around the edge while gazing up at it in awe. Shed never seen a waterfall up close before, and shed certainly never seen one whose water was so clean and sparkly.

Coming around to the right side of the waterfall, Cassandra stopped, gasping slightly. She hadnt expected there to be anyone else in the dream. Just a few feet away from her, a teenage male, somewhere around eighteen, from what she could tell, sat on what appeared to be a large boulder. His hair, which was shoulder length, messy, and platinum in colour, had blue streaks running throughout it, and a small blue marking beside each eye gave him a mysterious air. His eyes were closed, and he had thin lips and a sharp angled, but handsome, face. His ears were normal size, but rather then being rounded like a humans, they were pointed like those of an elf.

He wore a blue, princely jacket, designs weaving over the material in alluring patterns, and he wore what almost appeared to be leather pants along with black boots. An amulet of sorts hung from around his neck, resting against the buttoned dress shirt he wore beneath the jacket, the symbol reminding Cassandra vaguely of the ankh. She stayed absolutely still, wondering if she should stay there or make a run for it. She prayed that he wouldnt notice her, but, as we all know, things that we do not want to happen, generally do happen.

Almost as though he had sensed her presence, the males eyes snapped open, un-matched eyes of violet and blue staring at her in surprise and curiosity. Cassandras breath hitched, the ten year old not able to tear her gaze away from that of the teens, wondering why she suddenly felt as though she was paralyzed. When he smiled, the girl sighed in relief, able to breathe and move again.

Um& hi? she managed, clasping her hands behind her nervously. What was she supposed to say to a teenager? Shed never had to speak to one before, let alone a teenager who dressed as though he were a prince!

Hello, he replied, smirking in amusement, his eyes trailing over the little girl, landing on her ears. He frowned again, youre human.

Cassandra rolled her eyes before she could stop herself, Well, duh, of course Im human, what else would I be? she froze once the words were out of her mouth, remembering that, due to the pointed ears, this guy more then likely was not human. To her surprise, he laughed, hopping down off his rock to stride towards her. She took a step back fearfully, the teen noticing this and pausing about two feet from her, bending so that he was eye level with her.

I see that youve noticed Im not human, he grinned, showing sharp incisors like those of a vampire, I am Fae. Cassandra blinked, nodding slowly, wondering why that word sounded so familiar to her.

This must be a dream, she blurted out, blushing when the teen laughed again.

Yes, you are dreaming, he agreed, humans can only access this glade through their dreams. However, he frowned then, tilting his head as he looked at her with those alluring eyes, only humans who are either very sad or very lonely or are both can come here. Are you sad or lonely or both, child?

Cassandra blinked again, taking a minute to figure out what hed asked before looking away from his curious gaze, shoulders slumping visibly, Both&

Whats your name? she looked at him again, confused.

What? the teen rolled his eyes, raising an eyebrow at her.

I asked what your name was. I cant keep calling you child now can I? the girl blushed, looking down again.

Cassandra& she replied quietly, the male grinning as though shed given him a gift.

Cassandra, its pretty. Mind if I call you Cass? when she shook her head, he grinned wider, And now, since you have given me your name, I shall give you mine. I am called Jareth.

Jareth! her head snapped up immediately, jaw dropping, L-Like from Labyrinth?

Jareth sighed, shaking his head, Jeez, I wish people would stop thinking that. No, Im not Jareth from the movie Labyrinth; Im what caused the writer to think of the character, and he stole my name for it because I met him in a dream, but otherwise I have nothing to do with Labyrinth. Cassandra nodded, understanding, but slightly disappointed that he wasnt the character from the movie.

Seeing her look, Jareth was quick to react, But, I am a prince. Not of Goblins, but of the Fae realm, which you are in currently. Im the only one that knows of this glade, however. So were quite alone. Now, he gave her a serious look, what is it that has caused you to become sad?

Cassandra sighed, looking down when she felt tears start to gather in her eyes once more, My parents&

Ah, one sec, Cassandra squeaked when Jareth suddenly scooped her up, carrying the ten year old back over to the boulder and jumping up onto it, settling into a cross legged position before setting her on his lap, tucking her head under his like a big brother would, now, what about your parents?

They ignore me constantly, she admitted, tears beginning to drip down her cheeks, all they ever think about is my baby sister. Its always Caroline this, Caroline that, never Cassandra& they dont even acknowledge my presence most of the time! I just&

Shh, Jareth whispered, gently turning her to wipe her tears away, letting her cry into his shirt, let it out; youve kept it in for to long, little one, far to long. Its not your fault; its your parents fault for not seeing how special you are.

Comforted by his presence, Cassandra soon stopped crying, blinking to clear the last tears from her eyes before looking up at Jareth in apology, Im sorry, I didnt mean to get your shirt all wet&

Its fine, he dismissed it easily, once more scooping her up and jumping from the boulder, heading towards the pond. Setting her down, he indicated for her to kneel, doing the same.

Just wait, he told her, motioning towards the water. Turning back to it, Cassandra gasped, wide eyes sparkling.

Mermaids! she gasped in an excited whisper, watching as the two beauties swam over to them, smiling happily and giving her quick hugs.

Such a pretty little girl, one said, stroking the little girls hair.

You take care of her, Jareth, the second added, sending the teen a wink. Jareth gave a wry smile as they disappeared back into the lake, happy to see Cassandra looking alive once more. Cassandra giggled, exhilarated, until she felt the call of reality tugging on her.

Youre waking up, Jareth mused aloud, watching as the little girls body slowly became transparent. He couldnt explain the strange sadness that welled up inside him as he watched her disappear, but he held it back, smiling for her benefit.

Wait! she cried desperately, not wanting to leave, will you be here again tomorrow night?!

Jareth grinned, nodding, Ill be here whenever you need me,

Smiling again, Cassandra nodded back, waving just before she disappeared completely, leaving Jareth in the clearing by himself.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The sound of Iko Iko by Aaron Carter blasting from her alarm clock was the first thing Cassandra noticed as she drifted back into consciousness, blinking away the sleepiness in her eyes. Thinking back on her dream, and of Jareth, she giggled, bouncing out of bed and going about her morning rituals in a better mood then shed been in in a long time.

She finally had something to look forward to in life.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Holy shoot! O.o I did NOT make this chapter so long on purpose! I swear! 2,839 words& holy crap! Im sorry! I was just enjoying writing and it kept flowing and and& yah. Anyways, hope you people enjoy! I can tell Im going to have a lot of fun writing this fic! XD As long as people dont kill me for long chapters& *cough*

Amariahellcat

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Fairygurl27 on February 18, 2007, 3:50:20 PM

Fairygurl27 on
Fairygurl27Nice story! I really like your wording. It's beautifully written, and very detailed. Sad too, I like the beginning of it, even though it is sad. I like it ^^