Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Leader of Men

So, I've been doing a few song fics lately. You all know what those are, don't you? Taking the lyrics of a song and creating a story? Okay, good. So these are the ones I've written. Have fun.

Chapter 4 - Leader of Men

Chapter 4 - Leader of Men
Leader of Men Songfic of “Citizen Soldiers” by 3 Doors Down

Beyond the reach of the city’s lights, the boundaries of civilization, stands a lone man. He is a hero waiting for a cry. He knows that you didn’t bring this on yourself. Too many times has he been there to help. Tonight, is that why he stands atop this hill, shrouded in darkness and shadow? Beyond the boundaries of his sight, comes a distant, weak cry smothered by the city. Is that why he is here now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her cheek tingled as he lifted his hand from her face, brushing away her tear.

“Don’t worry,” he whispers to her, “I’ll come back.”

No, you won’t, she wants to respond, but his smile doesn’t let her.

“On that day, when you need your brothers and sisters to care, I’ll be right here. I promise.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Citizens, there are you soldiers, who held the front line, who held the light for the ones they guided from the dark of despair! Those are you soldiers; they stand guard for you! They have a pledge, citizens! A pledge to you! Tell me, soldiers: what is that pledge?!”

“We will always be ready,” the soldiers cried in unison, “because we will always be there!”

He watched silently as the leader of the throng beamed at his obedient and loyal soldiers; at the crowd as they droned on in their cheers; and at the soldiers who stood as statues, doing anything and everything they were told.

Dolls, the lot of them, he thought, shaking his head, weary of this place.

“For when there are people crying in the streets, who will be there? When they are starving for a meal to eat, who will be there? We will always be ready; we are soldiers!”

What about when they simply need a place to make their beds? What then, my perfect little toy soldiers? his mind yelled their way, They don’t come to you. They come to me. They rest their heads beneath my wing; you don’t care.

He smiled a thin, mocking smile. I can’t believe I told you that. I couldn’t be there, to make your family care. I couldn’t keep my promise. I’m sorry, but now I don’t know what to do.

“My citizens! Your soldiers are here to guide you from despair! They are here to guard you and give you shelter! They are here so they may be ready to protect you, if ever that time comes!”

Is he still talking? he massaged his creased forehead. I can’t believe I have to listen to this. And these fools can’t see through his lies. Drones…mindless drones.

He turned and strode through the crowd, not noticed by anyone. He strode to the edge of the swarm, turned on his heel to face the masses, and sucked in all the air his lungs could hold.

“Hope and pray that you never need me!” he screamed at the crowd, “But rest assured, I will not let you down!”

No one turned. No one even glanced his way. Everyone was enraptured by this leader, this usurper. This manipulator.

He sighed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He placed his hands upon her shoulders, careful not to push down. She leaned back into the chair, seeming not to notice his gesture.

“I will walk besides you, though you may not see me,” he whispered into her ear.

He glanced at the television which held her attention. The usurper was there, continuing his speech.

“-The strongest among you doesn’t need a crown-”

He shook his head and leaned his head against her shoulder.

“On the day you need your family to care, I will be there,” he told her, “When you no longer have the strength for this burden I’ve put on you, I’ll be there.”

Again, the TV screamed out the usurper’s speech.

But this time, he said the speech, one he knew very well.

“I am a Citizen, I am a Soldier. I hold the light to guide you from the dark of despair. I will stand guard for the ones that we shelter. I will always be ready, because I will always be there.”

After gracing her cheek with a light kiss, he disappeared.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note: can you guess what happened? Can you guess what the main character is, besides male? :D please leave a comment ^_^'

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment