Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - The Problem

This story is about a thirteen year old girl named Arial who has discovered a secret...

Chapter 2 - The Problem

Chapter 2 - The Problem
“I know you really like this place, and if you are that concerned about it, that I might suggest you telling your parents,” suggested Georgiana, “because they might be able to help.
“I can’t do that, because once adults get into it, they will fix the problem differently then we would. They will say something like it isn’t a safe building anymore, it is so old that it might collapse, or you shouldn’t be here, it is probably someone else’s property, or maybe it is some gangster’s hide out, and you could get hurt if they find you here, or we should tell the police about this building so they can figure out what to do with it, or any other excuse to clear up the problem.” said Arial.
“I guess that you’re kind of right, because they probably would say that, and now that I have gotten to know the place a little bit, I really kind of like it.”
“See, I told you that you would!” said Arial, satisfied.
“Well, maybe we can stay in those trees that you talked about, and then watch, see if these people who did this come back, and then see what kind of people they are. Then, after we figure out who and what the problem is, we can try to clear it up.” said Georgiana.
“Sounds good to me, and those trees provide perfect protection, no one can see us, but we can see them. And you have to be a pretty good climber to get up there, because they branches are so close together, and you have to be just the right size, like us!”
“I only have one thing to say,” said Georgiana in a laugh, “it’s a good thing that they are pine trees, of else all of their leaves would be gone!”
“Yeah, you’re right, if they weren’t we would have to come up with another idea.
“Arial…”
“Georgiana what is it?”
“Well, I just thought that we are waiting for someone to come, but what if they are already watching us?”
“I never thought of that. Let’s just wait to do this till tomorrow. We have all of the time in the world.”
“Ok, but I don’t want to spend all of my time trying to figure out who did this, I want to do stuff here. I want to explore. You only took me up to the second level, and there are four.”
“I have an idea. Do you remember when I won those little mini video camera things with the main screen to see what all of the cameras were taping?
“Yeah.” Said Georgiana, knowing exactly what Arial was planning on.
“Well, we could put them all over Pemberley, and disguise them. It isn’t like they are easy to see, because they are small. We have eleven.”
“One for each level, one for each side of the building, and three to put anywhere else.”
“But there is one problem with that.”
“What?” Said Georgiana, curious to find out what would be wrong with her plan.
“All of the levels have at least four rooms, except for floor one, it only has three.”
“Yes,” replied Georgiana with a sly smile, “but if we put the camera on the stairs leading up, we will know if someone is coming, and what floor they are coming to. We can worry about individual rooms later.”
“I know that you think you have it figured out, but that still won’t work”
“Why?”
“Because there another staircase on floor one leading to floor two, three, and four.” said Arial, doubting Georgiana’s skills.
“That still isn’t hard, just put one of the three left over cameras by flour two looking down to floor tow, and one by floor four looking down to floor three.”
“That could work. I guess that I should have expected you to figure it out.”
“Well, that is were I can contribute. You contribute in coming up with a basic sketch, you know, the really brilliant ideas, and I come up with the details to make sure that the plan runs smoothly.”
“Let’s just go and have some fun, I am sick of making plans, and you haven’t even gotten a taste of Pemberley yet!” said Arial.
“Ok, let’s go slide on some ice!”
“I never realized how secluded this place really is.” said Georgiana, observing the thick brush and the trees that were so tight together.
“That is why it is so hard to find, because these thick trees go on for like half a mile around the whole place, and you couldn’t really get through unless you know where the entrance is. Planes can’t really tell that we are down here either because of the trees hanging over, and all of the plants that are on top and sides of the building make it look like ground.”
“Well, planes probably only go over this area occasionally.”
“Hey look, it’s snowing!” said Arial.
“I love snow! It is so light and refreshing!”
“Well, know is a perfect time to have an ice sliding competition.”
“Ok, but I am warning you that this is one thing that I think I can beat you in, after all, I can ice skate very well, not trying to brag, but just saying since I did for so many years, and still do it for fun.”
“Yeah, I know, but I have been sliding on this ice forever, and it isn’t all nice and smooth. It takes skill to go far without falling! And you don’t have ice skates.”
“Good point. Bring it on!”
“Ok, you can go first.”
“Oh no, I insist that you go first, after all I do want to see a professional do it first!” said Georgiana sarcastically, in a teasing tone.
“Ok, just remember how arrogant your being, so I can tease you about it when I win!
You may think that these two friends are actually being serious, and being mean, but if you knew them, and saw them, you would realize that it was just two best friends teasing each other.
Arial got pretty far on her first attempt. Surprisingly, Georgiana got even father.
“See, I told you that I could do it!” said Georgiana triumphantly.
After a long competition, Georgiana won. She had gotten about a foot farther than Arial almost every time.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment