Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 15 - The Ateshi

This story is about a thirteen year old girl named Arial who has discovered a secret...

Chapter 15 - The Ateshi

Chapter 15 - The Ateshi
"A few seasons back, the Yimarix came and slaughtered our village. We tried to save as many as possible, but the damage was…astonishing.”
“That’s horrible. Do you know exactly what the Yimarix are?”
“They are a creature that has lived in these woods for a long time. For some reason, they always have purely evil motives.”
“You said that you could help us. How?”
"Well, I can help you look for Retagh, but, he will not be able to do anything for you. Even though he knows a lot, he is old, and his time to die is near. But, on the other hand, my people have lost a lot because of the Yimarix, most of their wives, children, and husbands have died, and they would be happy to aid you in the battle against the Yimarix.”
“A battle? We never said…we weren’t ever planning on a whole battle, just on freeing our friends.”
“That is impossible. Even if you did succeed, you would be hiding in fear for the rest of your lives as the Yimarix relentlessly hunt you down. They would even come out of the forest to search for you.” “So what you are saying is that, we battle, or it is hopeless?” Arial started to cry, something that she had been doing a lot lately.
“Yes, but all is not hopeless as you say. My people, the Ateshi, have a strong belief in Christianity, and-”
“You are Christians?” Arial interrupted. “I mean, that isn’t bad, I am too, but…how did you know?”
“How did you? Just because you have never heard of us, does not mean that we do not have the same beliefs or customs as you.”
“Oh, I guess I never thought of it that way.”For some reason, knowing this made Arial feel like she could trust Cahgio and the Ateshi somewhat better than before.
“So, are you planning on a battle then?”
“Midnight, what do you think?”
“Well, he has not given us reason to trust him one hundred percent, he could be working for the Yimarix. Maybe if you show us your people and where you live, we will have more reason to trust you.”
“That will be fine. Follow me, and I will show you. But, when we get there, do not act hostile.“
“We won’t unless we have a reason to.”
“Fair enough.”
Arial and Midnight followed Cahgio through the night. They were trying to be as silent as possible, and not having much luck. Cahgio, on the other hand was as silent as a wolf. Soon, they reached an area surrounded by thick brush.
“This is it. Follow and do as I do.”
Arial and Midnight followed Cahgio down stairs made from dirt, and held and the end be the roots of trees, in a tunnel going down.
Arial, he could be leading us to our death.”
“Do not worry about that. This tunnel just goes down, straight, and then back up. It is the only way to enter our village. That is why the Yimarix killed us. It was a surprise attack, we thought that we would be safe, and that no one knew of the entrance to our peaceful village. We had no...” Cahgio’s voice trailed off,"no reson to prepare our weapons, we thought..."
“It’s ok. I know how you must feel, I am sorry for your loss.”
“Can you speak without communicating telepathically?”

“I can, and so can most of the other Ateshi, but some do not. That is part of the reason why I decided to show myself to you, because as I said, I have never seen a human who knows of this secret.”
“So, are you sure that your people will be willing to support us?” asked Midnight.
“I am almost positive. We are almost here now, follow me.”
After they had gone up the stairs, they reached a door that was decorated very elaborately. It looked oddly familiar to Arial, and after thinking about it for some time, she realized that her dagger had some of the same designs as the door.
“So that’s were it came from.” Arial whispered aloud to herself.
Since Cahgio was opening the door, Arial decided that she would question him about the dagger later. She had to know if it came from the Ateshi. Obviously, if it did, that means that the Ateshi had been to Pemberley.
“Maybe they are the ones who built it!” Arial said out loud, she blushed, because she realized that now, all of the Ateshi were staring at her, their bright blue eyes like a sapphire shining in the light.
“Sorry.”
"What where you thinking of?”
“Oh, nothing.”
Suddenly, a few of the Ateshi came up to Cahgio, and started to converse, and point at Arial and Midnight. After what was obviously explaining, Cahgio turned to Arial and Midnight, and started to introduce them. As Cahgio was talking, Arial realized that it was now morning.
After the commotion died down, Cahgio took Arial and Midnight to a room where they could stay, and have some quiet time to think until the banquet that the Ateshi insisted on holding for the quests.
“The Ateshi seem to be very kind.”
Yes. What were you thinking about earlier when you said something out loud. I couldn’t understand it, but I knew that you said something.”
“I said maybe they are the ones who built it. I think that the Ateshi may be the ones who built Pemberley. My dagger had the same designs on it as that door that lead to the Ateshi village.”
“So, are you going to ask Cahgio about it?”
“Yeah, that’s what I was planning on. I haven’t told him anything about Pemberley, and it seems to me like the Ateshi would still live there if they had known about it, or made it.”
“Maybe, but over the years, humans have come and settled. It could have been to close for comfort for the Ateshi, so maybe they wanted to move farther in the woods so that they would not be discovered.”
“That could be it. Well, I am going to go find Cahgio and ask him. I will bring him back here.”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment