Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Arrival

This story is about a man who goes back in time to a small village that is about to be over taken by the Black Plague that hit Europe in the mid-thirteen-hundreds.
He meets his 'distant relatives' and keeps his family alive.
please read it, and comment

Chapter 1 - Arrival

Chapter 1 - Arrival






On May 5th, I arrived in the small village chosen to help us in our investigations. The year was 1348, and the end of spring was coming to make room for summer. I was there to study the horrid disease that was plaguing the people at that time. I was chosen for this escapade after some extensive research was done on me and my colleagues; I am immune to this horrible pestilence.





I reached this doomed village not long after sunrise, and as I entered, everything seemed normal enough. This day was chosen for my adventure to begin because it was the first day that the plague arrived in this particular area. In order to gather the information I needed, I had to be there to see the entire course of the disease. It was also very necessary that I was accepted by these people, even though I couldnt let them find out where I was really from and my true purpose.





My first order of business was to find the doctor of this town and position myself with him. I found his residence easily enough, and knocked carefully on the bare door.





Hello, he said plainly, as he opened the door and look up at me, can I help you with something?





Good day sir. I believe you can help me. I am a doctor from a small town to the north and was wondering if there was anywhere in this little village that I could stay.





Yes, well, come in please. I entered his small house and he led me to a table where he sat down. I did the same in a wooden chair across from him.





What did you say your name was? he asked me.





I didnt, but its Ackerman. Shey Ackerman.





Shey. Well yes, you said that you needed a place to stay?





Yes, but I realize that I should find an inn keeper and find a temporary place there. Although, I havent got much money and nothing really to give. We talked for a bit, about my journey and arriving upon this village.





If you would like, I have some room to spare here, that my brother used to live in with his family, but his wifes parents recently passed away from old age and he moved into their home with his family. You are welcome to stay here.





That is very generous of you, although I have nothing that I can give you in return. I adjusted my bag on my shoulder, the contents of which could not be revealed until the most opportune moment. After eyeing my bag he said, You say you are a doctor, would you care to help me treat our people here in exchange for your stay? I nearly jumped with excitement, but firmly held myself to my chair and calmly replied, Id be glad to. I shook his hand and he showed me where I would be staying. It wasnt exactly another house than his, more like a second room in his home. It was small, but this was a very important part of my plan. I thanked the doctor again and he left to answer another knocking on his door. Unlike mine, this knocking was frantic. I heard his door open and then shut again, and then another voice aside from the doctors. It was a worried voice, speaking fast, with much anxiety. I went to the front of the house, taking my bag with me.





As I entered the room, I was surprised to see a third person standing in my presence. He was a young boy, no more than ten, who seemed slightly dazed as he looked me up and down. In such a small town, even the children knew everyone else, and he knew that I wasnt from around here.





There is nothing you can do? the boys mother asked the doctor, he cannot control his shivering, despite the warmth outside. And he is sweating at the same time. There must be something wrong with him. Her voice was nervous and she was speaking quickly.





There is, Im just not sure what we can do about it for now. The doctor was thinking. In deep thought, he walked around his small home and moved something small from in front of a window. As he stepped from the window, the light shone suddenly upon the boys face. He quickly covered his eyes, and jumped behind his mother. I quietly stepped around her, trying to see the boy. Nothing the doctor had said had scared him. The light had done it. The wonderful spring sun made this boys head hurt, another sign of the plague: intolerance to light. I found myself kneeling and the boys eyes peering straight into mine, as he had moved his hands slowly and carefully from his face.





Who are you? he asked me with the inquisitiveness of any small child.





You can call me Shey, I told him, Im a doctor too. He looked at me harder still, puzzled. The doctor said, This is Shey Ackerman. Hes from a small village in the north and is going to help me with the sick people here! Hes very nice. I stood up and broke the boys gaze, only to meet his mothers. She looked at me the same why the young child had, only for a second, as though bewildered, but then quickly asked me, Do you know of anything to help Josh? I looked down again at the boy, and told his scared mother, Im sorry, I dont know what is wrong with your boy. Im sure its nothing serious, I quickly glanced at my bag which I had placed on the floor, but take him home and let him rest. Maybe he has simply been playing too much in the sun, the heat can do that to you. She nodded at me, and thanked the doctor and I. She took Josh by the hand and they walked out of the house.





I watched them walk out, thinking to myself. This was the boy that I was here for. This was the boy who would give his entire village this horrid yet inevitable pestilence.











Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment