Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Another Taken

This story is about a man who goes back in time to a small village that is about to be over taken by the Black Plague that hit Europe in the mid-thirteen-hundreds.
He meets his 'distant relatives' and keeps his family alive.
please read it, and comment

Chapter 4 - Another Taken

Chapter 4 - Another Taken






We arrived back at the doctors house and it was now nearly nightfall. Josh had been showing symptoms for a few days now, and Jackson for almost as long. But Jacksons symptoms were increasing. His buboes were getting worse, and he now had some in his armpits. Josh was as sick as Jackson, but it was coming along a lot slower; he only had one bubo on his neck.






As soon as Josh and Jacksons mother saw them, she ran up and gave them both huge hugs.






No! Jackson yelled, Mom, youre going to get sick! She looked up at me.






Its okay Jackson, trust me, and she gave him another hug. I looked at the doctor and at Wright. Wright was still sitting with his mask on, and had backed away from the boys when their mother came up to them. The doctor was now wearing a mask also, which I hadnt noticed that Wright had brought with him. All of a sudden, there was a loud noise outside. I turned towards the door which had let so much devastation into this house. The doctor stood up and we both walked to door again. I opened it and looked out in horror. I had no idea this was going to happen. I guess things werent going to go as perfectly with the plan as I had thought in the beginning. To my astonishment, outside the door stood a group of Flagellants.






Who are they? the doctor asked. I couldnt say anything. I just watched as they went through their self-punishment. It was nearly pitch black out, but it was definitely them. They whipped themselves to ruins to avoid being struck by the plague. They thought that they were being punished by God for their sins, and that if they punished themselves, God wouldnt find it necessary for them to become sick.






Are they&.whipping themselves? the doctor was totally taken aback. I regained my thoughts and replied, Yes. They are called Flagellants. I have heard of them before, but never witnessed their horrid actions. They are punishing themselves so as to not catch the Plague. How disturbing! He turned in disgust and walked back into the house. I took a step and found that my legs had led me towards the group. Although I was still a ways away, I could hear their cries as they whipped themselves. I turned and followed the doctor back into the house.






What was that?






Flagellants, Wright told Josh and Jacksons mother. She didnt seem to know what it meant, but wasnt about to inquire for anything more; the tone of Wrights voice told her that she wouldnt want to know.






It was nearly midnight, and everyone was tired from an exhausting day. Josh and Anna had already fallen asleep. Wright left the house to stay in a near by inn. I carried Josh back to his house with his mother carrying Anna behind me, and the doctor walking with Jackson behind them. They couldnt stay with the doctor and I, as his house was large, but not nearly large enough for all of us.






Mama& Jackson was on the verge of sleep, but still had some energy in him, wheres father?






He went out to another village to sell some more things, go to bed now. Jackson nodded his head, already asleep. I put Josh in the bed with him, and said goodbye to their mother.






Well be back in the morning, and well have Wright with us, if he can help.






Alright, good night. She gave me a huge hug full of gratitude for putting so much effort out to her and her children. I hugged her back, and then the doctor and I walked back to his home. Not a word was spoken between us until I reached out to open the door for him. But then he asked, are you and I doomed? The plague spreads so easily&are we done for? We had walked in the house and the light from a candle that had almost extinguished itself shone on his face. I looked at him. He was not an old man, maybe in his forties. But under the light, with all his energy drained from such a long day, he seem so old and sick.






I dont know, I told him, I just dont. He looked me in the eyes and then turned and walked to his bed. I followed suit and was asleep before I even realized I had reached my room.













I awoke the next morning, still as tired as ever, even though I had slept past the roosters calling. I left my room and saw that the doctor was still asleep. I couldnt get back to sleep, although it must have been past nine in the morning. I decided to walk to the Cartwrights and see how the boys were.






I slowly walked to the door and opened it carefully. I stepped out onto the street and the silence was deafening. There were a few adults walking past on the other side of the road&well, more like carriage path, who were whispering to themselves. I kept walking, my hands in my pockets, again, humming to myself&.ring around the rosie&a pocket full of posies& I decided to stop at the inn that Wright was at, as I had said that Id be bringing him with me, even though I would have rather not.






Do you have a man named Wright here?






Right here? Excuse me? I rolled my eyes at the naivet of some people. As I turned, i saw him. Wright! I began towards him.






Hello, Im sorry, I cant come with you, he told me, rushing out the door. I grabbed his shoulder, and he turned to me.






Why cant you come with me? Arent you coming to help me with those boys from yesterday?






I would, he said, walking away, but this whole village is going to be sick. Its my responsibility to help the people. All of them, not just that family. You can help them, youre a doctor, arent you? He looked at me suspiciously.






Of course, I just know so much less than you about this plague-






Youll figure it out. He ran out the door and I saw him enter a house across the way with his bag of herbs and mask in hand. I left the inn and headed towards Josh and his family.






After a moment of walking I knocked on their door. It was a hollow, depressing noise, which I hadnt noticed before. But it could have just been my mind, as the atmosphere of the town was depressing and hollow in itself. I could hear Joshs mother walking towards the door. She opened it slowly, but when she saw it was me, she opened it quickly. I could tell something was wrong. Well, more wrong than things had been the day before. She could tell I knew something was wrong by the look on my face. The house smelt like urine, as she had taken Wrights advice and had the boys both bathe in urine. Jackson, she said, and paused, hes not doing well at all. She turned to walk towards where he and Josh lay in their bed and I followed her close behind. I stopped in front of the bed and looked down at them. I almost jumped when Anna grabbed my foot, as I had seen her do to her mother. I reached down to her and picked her up, with her mother watching me. I held her and talked to her for a moment. I knew that I had at least saved this little girls life. Even if everything else fell apart, I would know that she would be alright after I left. I looked at her, and noticed that she had the same eyes as Josh. They were emerald green and the same as their mothers. The same as mine. I handed Anna to her mother and looked back at the boys; they were the reason I was here.






Jackson had gotten worse, as his mother said. He had buboes on his neck and his armpits, and had black blotches on his arms and legs where blood vessels broke and blood dried. Josh wasnt as bad as his brother, but he still had some buboes on his neck and was violently ill. It was so difficult to look at them and know that they might not both make it past this. I gave the boys mother some more advice, to wash them and keep them clean, rather than to have them keep bathing in urine. I had also noticed that they were keeping their goat and two sheep inside their home. I told her to put them outside to keep the area cleaner. I helped her bring them outside and tie them.






Do you know now if they are going to be okay? she asked me as we took the animals.






Im still not sure about Jackson, but it seems as though Joshs is already wearing off. I cant stay here much longer, I have to make sure the doctor is okay; I left him this morning asleep, I didnt want to disturb him. Make sure you take care of the boys, Ill check on you all later.






Alright, good day. I left and started the walk towards the doctors. My feet shuffled as I walked with my head down along the street, thinking about Jackson. The Plague was taking him. And his mother had to just sit there and watch&






I arrived at the doctors home and found him bustling about inside the house.






Doctor? he seemed to be running around looking for something. I walked up to him, he looked really anxious. As he was running, I reached out to make him calm down. When he turned, I saw a huge bubo on his neck. I must have made a disgusted face, as he cried out, I knew it. I have it now. Those boys gave it to me. And we didnt quarantine them. We could have kept this from spreading, but no. I-I-I& He collapsed on the floor in exhaustion. I helped him up, and felt that he was all sweaty. I brought him to his bed and went and got him some fruit and bread. I knew it wasnt going to help him, but I thought it might make him feel better at least.












Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment