Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Followed

Kiomi Natsuka didn't know of Kira until he killed her older brother. Now she's out for vengeance, with help from a Shinigami with mysterious motives. Can she separate truth from lies in time? Or will Kira add one more Natsuka to his list of victims?

Chapter 3 - Followed

Chapter 3 - Followed
Chapter 3 – Followed


A beeping sound woke Kiomi in the morning. She groaned and reached her arm out, feeling for her alarm clock. Then, suddenly, she realized it wasn’t her alarm. She had fallen asleep looking things up on her computer and so, somehow, her cheek had wound up on her keyboard and it was beeping in protest.

She sat back – blinking since the light in her room was still on – and rubbed her cheek. She probably had an imprint of all the keys on it and she was stiff from sleeping slouched in her chair. As she glanced at the clock she winced; she couldn’t have been asleep for more than half an hour. And she had to be at her job in about that much time.

After she dragged herself through a cold shower her head cleared more and she was able to think about the research she’d done.

The Los Angeles BB murder cases were about a serial killer known as Beyond Birthday that had occurred not long ago at all. All the records were still fresh and plastered all over sights on the internet. It wasn’t hard to find out the story.

In all the information she had found a woman named Naomi Misora, an FBI agent, was listed as the person who cracked the case. There was no mention of an “L” at all; it was like he had never been involved. Except that it was obvious to Kiomi that someone had been working backstage.

Apparently, keeping his face hidden wasn’t just something L did for the Kira case, it was his trademark. That proved a problem. If he never revealed himself to anyone, how was she supposed to meet him?

There was only one answer she could come to. She had to meet the only person she could think of that might have met L – Naomi Misora. And she couldn’t stand to wait long.

Sitting at her computer again, she glanced at the clock. She had roughly twenty five minutes before she had to leave for work. Could she track down an FBI agent in that amount of time?

Only one way to find out.

She started with the obvious, a simple search on Naomi Misora’s name on Google Japan. The search results were mainly about cases on news sites and such where Naomi had been involved. Kiomi wasn’t interested in the cases; she was merely looking at dates. Barely two months ago, Naomi had been in Los Angeles solving the BB murder cases. But was she still there?

Unfortunately, none of the cases she saw so far had been more recent than that.

“Kiomi!” shouted her mother suddenly. “What are you doing up there? It’s time for breakfast!”

“I’m looking something up,” Kiomi called back, continuing to scroll down the list. “I’ll be down in a minute!”

After skimming through another page of search results, a news site caught her eye and she paused. The summary read, “. . . causing the FBI agent to take a paid leave from duty. Naomi Misora was not out of the game even on leave though and her most famous case came up as she worked independently, solving the BB murder mysteries. A warning to criminals, this woman is beginning to show the potential of the greatest FBI agent of her time.”

“A paid leave . . . .” Kiomi murmured, clicking on the site. What was the cause?

“Kiomi!” her mother shouted again. “You won’t have time if you don’t hurry!”

“Almost done!”

She read the article quickly, leaning back in her chair when she was done.

Naomi Misora, possible of being “the greatest agent of her time”, had been unable to pull the trigger on a thirteen year old drug dealer. Because of her, a dangerous criminal had escaped. There was no excuse for her having not acted – regardless of age she had been facing a criminal that was otherwise unapprehendable, and she should have known something like that would come up in her chosen line of work.

But Kiomi didn’t blame her.

Not that she was worried about pinning blame or not, what she was most interested in was the very end of the article.

It was an edit that had just been added in the past few days. The content was disappointing for Kiomi because it said that Naomi had retired from FBI work just recently. But, the reason for her retirement opened another door. It was Raye Penber, a fellow FBI agent, and, according to the article, Naomi’s fiancé.

Naomi would naturally be with her fiancé, especially if she quit work to be with him. If she couldn’t find Naomi, then perhaps she could find Raye.

“Kiomi!” Her mother’s voice was bordering on aggravated so she reluctantly closed her search window. Looking up Penber would have to wait.

“Coming!”

She deleted her browser history just in case and shut her computer down. Then she grabbed her purse and went downstairs for breakfast.
_______________________________________________________

Two skulls and a rib. How disappointing.

Kezu dropped his hand of cards on the rock table before him and pushed himself to his feet.

“Out already Kezu?” the Shinigami next to him asked, sounding triumphant.

“I have business,” Kezu growled. Losing to worthless Shinigami below his rank never failed to rouse his temper.

“What business could you possibly have?” another card player asked, his voice bored. “There’s no one for you to keep in line now that Ryuk’s in the human world.”

Kezu hissed at the statement.

“Careful there, Garke,” the first speaker said, grinning maliciously. “You might make his majesty angry.”

“Riiiiight,” Garke agreed, his tone still bored. “Please don’t kill me mighty one.”

Cackles sounded all around the table at that. Kezu’s hands clenched into fists at his side. He would like nothing more than to kill them all off – and he knew how to do it too. But, unfortunately, it would require a little cooperation on their part. Cooperation they would never give. They were too busy playing cards.

Maybe I’ll get lucky, Kezu thought as he turned and began to walk off without another word. Maybe they’ll all spend so much time playing cards that they’ll forget to kill humans to extend their lifetimes. With idiots like that it’s downright probable.

“Oi! Kezu!” another one called. He paused momentarily and they continued, “Iz’ it true ya gave the eyes to a ‘uman?”

“Sure, it’s true,” Kezu said, moving again.

More cackles erupted behind him, no doubt at his “stupidity”.

Let them think what they will, Kezu thought. His lips parted into an evil smirk, revealing long fangs among small, dagger-like teeth. Those fools were thinking he had given away the eyesight to see human names and lifespans, but that would have served no purpose. Kezu had given a certain human a much different power than that. One available only to a select few Shinigami descended from the leaders who used to exist among humans.

Passing unseen among humans had been very long ago though, and almost all Shinigami had forgotten the stories of the abilities that accompanied those times. Kezu hadn’t. He had the power and, without ever using it himself, had passed it along to a human girl.

The power to tell truth from lies.

Kezu chuckled quietly. That idiot Garke had brought up Ryuk – a Shinigami that had existed thinking everything should suit him and his interests. Kezu had always hated him but had been unable to do anything against him.

Until the fool had based his interests on humans.

As soon as it had been clear to Kezu what Ryuk was doing in the human world, he had begun thinking of a way to spoil his fun. If Ryuk was no longer interested in the game with humans he would be forced back into the same rotten existence Kezu was forced to put up with day after day. So he had given a human girl the power to spoil Ryuk’s enjoyment – if only she would use it correctly.

Well of course he didn’t have much faith in human intellect so he had waited plenty of time for her to figure out how to act. Now, he decided, it had been long enough.

It was time to pay another visit to the human world.
_______________________________________________________

“Hey Kiomi.”

Kiomi looked up from the text message she had been writing to her brother as Light fell into step beside her.

“Hi Light,” she said with a smile. “What’s up?”

He shrugged. “Cram classes were extremely boring today don’t you think?”

“If I was a walking encyclopedia like you, I would probably agree. Since my brain is put into overdrive everyday here and I’m running on zero hours of sleep, I’m going to have to say no,” she replied. She sent her text and slipped her phone back into her purse.

“Oh? What kept you up so late?” he asked, conveniently ignoring the encyclopedia comment.

“Internet surfing,” she said, wondering if she should have come up with something a little less honest. Of course, she didn’t know exactly what she could have said without crossing the line to straight out lying.

He gave her a wide-eyed look of disbelief.

“No way, a future To-oh University student up all night looking at porn on the internet!”

She growled and swung a kick at him. “Idiot!”

He sidestepped and held his hands up in a gesture of surrender. “Geez, so touchy! I was only joking.”

She turned to the left suddenly, cutting across the cram school’s yard. She heard him laugh behind her.

“Trying to lose me?” he called.

She turned to look over her shoulder and grin to let him know that was her intention exactly. Something caught her eye as she did and she flicked her gaze towards it, still smiling at Light. What she saw surprised her but she managed to keep it off her face.

Light jogged forward so he was next to her again and she continued walking, turning to look straight ahead.

“So seriously, what were you on the internet all night for? Surely not studying.”

Kiomi shook her head, still thinking about what she’d seen.

“Looking up a case . . . .” she murmured.

He turned to look at her in surprise. “A police case?”

She nodded absently; making it seem like it was no big deal.

“You remember I told you my Uncle Shinji works in the NPA? I was just seeing if I could help him on a minor case. Something he’ll actually let me do.”

“Ah,” Light said, nodding. “I know the feeling. My father will allow me to work with the police to solve minor cases as well. But anything too big and he “doesn’t want me involved”.”

“Exactly. But . . . .” She held up a finger, resting it on her chin in the odd habit she had when thinking ahead. “Someday, you’ll show them. When you’re director of the NPA, right?”

“And when you’re the investigator I turn to for help on cases,” he added, giving her a sideways smile.

She shoved his shoulder playfully. “As if I have a future like that. You’re the only one smart enough to solve criminal cases effectively.”

“And you’re the only one with a level head who doesn’t over-analyze things, as you say,” he replied.

“Well you do!” she said indignantly. “Sometimes you think so hard you overlook the easy answer.”

“You’re right, .01% of the time it’s possible to think too hard.”

She rolled her eyes. “You’re impossible.”

“No, merely thorough.”

She growled good-naturedly. It annoyed her sometimes how Light had to be right. The problem was, as he said, 99.99% of the time, he was.

“By the way . . . .” she said quietly after a moment.

He looked down at her – he was a good two inches taller than she was – a questioning look on his face.

She snagged his cell phone from his pocket, quickly switching it to her left hand so he couldn’t steal it back.

“Hey!” he protested.

She waved him off. “Yours has a feature mine doesn’t, I need to see something.”

He sighed in aggravation but stuck his hands in his pockets, not reaching for it anymore. She tossed the phone back into her right hand and held it up between them, turning to his camera mode.

Light’s phone was a special model with the camera lens actually above the display screen, unlike hers with the typical style of having the lens on the back. His allowed her to see behind them without having to turn around. It was very handy considering what she had seen earlier.

And what showed up on the screen now.

Light leaned closer slightly, focusing on the screen.

“We’re being followed . . . ?” he said quietly.

She nodded because, sure enough, the camera allowed them to see a blurry figure moving well behind them.

“I noticed him earlier,” she said. “Although I don’t know if he’s following you, me, or both of us. And I have no idea why.”

Light pursed his lips and reached up, snapping a picture with his phone before taking it back and putting it back in his jacket pocket.

“I don’t know either,” he said, his voice low, “but I’m going to find out. For now, just act normal.”

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

KelekiahGaladrian on November 2, 2008, 12:14:50 PM

KelekiahGaladrian on
KelekiahGaladrianIT'S KEZU!!!!!!!!!!!!! *glomps him randomly* ^^

Ravin: While Lego-chan is busy, I will review for her. She says that, as before, she loves the Shinigami scene and the fact that they're being followed. She also loves the personality and relationship between Light and Kiomi. This chapter also reminds her of the unfinished next chapter (at least it was unfinished when you sent it to her last) and she's excited for that. Overall, she loves it.

*still glomping Kezu and grinning*

YoriXYamiForever on November 2, 2008, 12:18:28 PM

YoriXYamiForever on
YoriXYamiForeverhehe, yay! ^^

I love Kezu too. And it's finished now, but just barely. And I still need to edit. I love Light and Kiomi's friendship ^^

KelekiahGaladrian on November 2, 2008, 12:23:14 PM

KelekiahGaladrian on
KelekiahGaladrian^^ Awesomeness. That means I can REALLY critique when you post it. YES!!! ^^ *glomps Kezu again* Yes, they're friendship rocks!! ^^

DeathNoteSurvivor on November 2, 2008, 7:33:55 AM

DeathNoteSurvivor on
DeathNoteSurvivorwow o0 long lol
and i love how the story's going, im excited to see how Kezu's personality influences the plot

YoriXYamiForever on November 2, 2008, 7:36:50 AM

YoriXYamiForever on
YoriXYamiForeverHe he, sorry, I like to make long chapters ^^;

Yay! I'm glad you like it. Kezu's personality is... interesting lol

DeathNoteSurvivor on November 2, 2008, 7:39:38 AM

DeathNoteSurvivor on
DeathNoteSurvivorlol well thats a difference of writing styles XP
and ill bet it is

YoriXYamiForever on November 2, 2008, 7:40:57 AM

YoriXYamiForever on
YoriXYamiForeverXD