Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Text Talk

Kiomi Natsuka didn't know of Kira until he killed her older brother. Now she's out for vengeance, with help from a Shinigami with mysterious motives. Can she separate truth from lies in time? Or will Kira add one more Natsuka to his list of victims?

Chapter 4 - Text Talk

Chapter 4 - Text Talk
Chapter 4 – Text Talk


After parting ways with Light it became obvious to Kiomi who the man behind them was stalking. But what was it about Light that caught the man’s interest? Over-achieving, top-scores-in-the-nation, genius high school student – interesting to follow because . . . ?

“Looking for tutoring sessions or something?” Kiomi muttered as she doubled around, now following Light’s pursuer.

The man never looked behind him; his attention was focused completely on his target. Not very smart, Kiomi thought before realizing that she was doing the exact same thing. She darted a look over her shoulder, suddenly feeling paranoid. No one was following her though so she turned back to focus on the man ahead of her.

Light acted completely normal, not walking any faster and not taking a different route home than usual. Kiomi didn’t know whether or not it would be better to act normal than to just turn around and face the man but she trusted Light on this. Maybe he even had an idea why the guy would want to follow him. Unlikely, but who knew . . . .

As someone passed her on the street, giving her a weird look, she realized she was being too obvious. Naturally it would be a little creepy to see a girl almost tiptoeing down the street in broad daylight, focusing intently on a man in front of her. Suddenly she had become the stalker.

Note to self, she thought with a sigh, practice stalking skills. She pulled out her cell phone and opened a text message – something normal for a twenty year old to do. And while she was thinking about it, she could use it to her advantage. She typed in Light’s cell number and a short message that read: I doubled back. I’ve become the stalker now, any suggestions? She sent it and waited, continuing to fiddle with her phone while glancing up to watch Light’s follower.

A moment later she faintly heard Light’s ring tone. Light pulled his phone out of his pocket and flipped it open. It disappeared from view as he moved to answer her.

Hers vibrated in her hand and she opened the message.

Idiot, I could have handled it myself. What if he notices you?

She snorted quietly, her fingers already typing the reply. I’m not that obvious. Besides, it’s not like you can do anything about him unless you want to turn around and face him. She moved to hit send and then paused, quickly adding: And who’re you calling idiot? Idiot.

They were only a few blocks from Light’s house now. Kiomi bit her lip, wondering if the man was going to act before they got there. Was this the first day he had followed Light?

Her phone buzzed.

Could you please be a little more mature? And if you insist on following him, have you at least picked up on anything that might let us know who he is?
Kiomi couldn’t help a smile. Light was complaining about her help and yet he slipped into the term “us” immediately. She looked up at the man once more, her fingers flying.

Not really, but whoever he is, he means business. You refused to give answers to someone again didn’t you?

There was a shorter pause this time.

Remember: mature. I’m positive I’ve never met this guy before. It’s too bad he saw you with me before or else you could have just approached him.

She smirked. Now you want my help? Too bad indeed . . . . So what do you think this guy’ll do once you get home?

Light’s answer was immediate, he’d obviously already thought about it. He’ll either leave or stake out my house.

Why’s he following you?

If I knew, this wouldn’t be a problem.


She rolled her eyes. No duh, I was wondering if you had any guesses.

Not a clue.

Fastest response yet . . . . She sent him her reply.

That was awfully fast, did you lose some of those famous thinking skills?

Apparently he didn’t like his intelligence being insulted because she saw him take his phone out and then put it away a moment later. Her phone never vibrated.

Hey, don’t ignore me! She typed angrily. I was kidding, I can’t think of anything either.

You never can.

Kiomi glared at his back. Smooth. Shut up.

I win. Kiomi paused in her reading, wondering briefly if it was possible to smirk through a text message. With Light, anything was possible. And I’m home; disappear before he turns around will you?

Ok, she replied, I’ll tell you if he hangs around.

She slipped her phone back in her purse and watched the man. As Light turned to go into his home, she ducked around the corner of the house closest to her. Then she watched as the man crossed to the other side of the street. After Light had disappeared inside, the man settled back to watch, standing in the shadows of a house across the street.

After she was sure he wasn’t going to leave she sent Light a message reading: Well, the creepy stalker’s still here. He’s across the street, watching your window.

A moment later he responded. Creepy?

Stereotyping: stalkers are creepy.

I see. Not that helpful.

She smiled slightly. Sorry. I swear, does this guy have nothing better to do? He’s just staring at your window like this is his job or something.

There was a long pause and then Light replied, What if it is?

She frowned and typed, You’re saying someone hired him to follow you? Why?

Who knows? It’s just a possibility.

I think you’re paranoid.

You’re not the one being stalked.

Ah, point taken.


A movement caught her eye and she looked up at the stalker again – the man had pulled out his own cell phone.

Hmm, are we all sending texts today? She wondered, watching him carefully.

But he didn’t send a text; he dialed a number and raised the phone to his ear. It gave Kiomi a sudden idea and she quickly sent Light one more message before shoving her phone in her pocket.

I’m moving, don’t text me until I say it’s ok.

She knew he would listen, even if he didn’t want her doing anything else. She slipped her backpack off her shoulders and jammed it against the side of the house. Then she stuffed her purse in her backpack and looked around the corner of the building carefully.

The stalker was on the other side of the street; there was no way she could cross without being seen. He wasn’t talking yet though so she still had a bit of time.

Looking around, she spotted somewhere that would give her a good view and moved towards it, staying in the shadows. She passed behind two houses, including Light’s, and crouched behind the shrubbery in the new yard she had come to.

It was a great view; the man was holding his cell phone to the ear not facing her so there was nothing blocking his mouth. Perfect, she thought. It was everything she needed to figure out what he was saying.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

KelekiahGaladrian on December 1, 2008, 12:43:59 PM

KelekiahGaladrian on
KelekiahGaladrianIt's just as wonderful and great as I remember, minus part of the end 'cause you didn't have that written last time I read it ^^ Slightly shorter though (actually, it's half the length of the last chapter if I'm correct XP).

Ooh, sounds like Kiomi can read lips. Awesome (I usually can't XP)! ^^

I luvs it Wulf-chan and I'm excited for more 'cause I haven't read past this part yet. ^^ GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!! ^^