Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Ready

In a world where how magically educated you are is everything, nothing's better than graduating from Academy Hex. For two student teams, there’s only one test left to achieve that. The problem is, that test is surviving in the human world!

Chapter 3 - Ready

Chapter 3 - Ready
Chapter 3: Ready


“It’s time, Sir,” said a voice from the door.

Carmos nodded at his servant. “Get the teams assembled – leaders at the front.”

“Um . . . Sir . . . .” the servant said hesitantly.

Carmos nodded for him to continue.

He cleared his throat and finished somewhat sheepishly, “Team Leader One isn’t here, Sir.”

“Darkon Andros . . . .” Carmos murmured. He fingered one of the files laid out on the table before him. Darkon did not have a good record for timeliness. “Well, I won’t be ready for another few minutes. He and his team will only be disqualified if I don’t see him when I greet the students.”

The servant smiled and bowed respectfully before exiting the room.

Carmos looked down at the file his hand rested on. The inside cover had Darkon’s name written on it in brush calligraphy – the penmanship an untidy scrawl that showed frustration and awkwardness in the writer. Carmos smiled; he believed the writer had been a seven-year old boy, new to the academy and insistent that he write his own name in the “professional” script instead of the simple print the other students used.

With a sigh, Carmos closed the file of academic and physical progress. This was Darkon’s last opportunity to graduate – students were only allowed the chance twice – and Carmos hoped that being a team leader this time around might prove the difference the teen needed to succeed. It would be a shame to lose a student with that much promise.

In fact, now that he thought about it, it was going to be a shame this year no matter which team won. Darkon’s and Ferran’s teams both consisted of some of the finest students he’d ever taught. It was unfortunate that they were all in the same level.

He gathered up all the student files into a straight pile and pulled open one of the drawers in his desk. The inside was packed with containers and bottles of various sizes – none bigger than three inches. He selected one and twisted off the cap. He dipped a calligraphy brush into the clear ink and painted three symbols down the front of the first folder on the stack. The ink disappeared immediately and the area around the folders shimmered. Carmos nodded, satisfied with his work. It was a complex hex he used to ensure no one else had access to confidential records.

After replacing the ink and brush in his drawer he crossed the room and picked up a small chest. Tucking it under his arm, he strode out of the room to the hall where his students were waiting.
___________________________________________________

Pong was a great diver and they shot towards the ground like an arrow. However, Darkon wasn’t sure this was a good thing as the wind grabbed at him, trying to tear him off the fairy’s back.

“Move your arms in more,” Pong grunted, “you’re trapping the top of my wings!”

Darkon sheepishly complied, allowing Pong to extend his wings again. He did it too quickly though. They lurched as he caught air and the fairy wind-milled his arms, caught by surprise.

Unfortunately, Darkon had loosened his grip when Pong had stopped the dive and now the sudden movement dislodged his arms. With a startled cry he fell backwards through the air.

Pong twisted, turning to come after him, but before he could do anything Darkon hit the top branches of a tree. Small branches scratched his bare legs and snapped under his weight. Leaves confused his vision and he reached out blindly, trying to grab something to stop his fall. Then one of the sturdy branches slammed into his upper back, across his shoulder blades. He gasped in pain.

“Darkon!” he heard Pong shout.

Darkon managed to catch a branch and look down at the ground. He couldn’t tell how far down it was. He dropped to one more branch and then allowed himself to fall the rest of the way. He landed smoothly and dropped to his hands and knees so his ankles wouldn’t take too much weight. His shoulders and back ached fiercely and he grimaced.

“Oi! You okay?!” Pong demanded, landing next to him. His figure flickered slightly, indicating the hex was wearing off.

“Peachy,” Darkon grunted, feeling his back where he had been hit. Nothing permanent. That was good.

He jumped to his feet and raced towards the curtain leading from the courtyard to the inner hall.

“WHAT THE HECK?!”

“Come on Pong!”

He darted into the hall, stumbling a few times due to the bandages he wore in place of socks slipping on the smooth tile. Perhaps shoes would have been a good idea after all. But it was too late for that now.

The teams were gathered at the front of the room and Master Carmos was just entering. Darkon cursed his luck. He put on a final burst of speed anyway and jerked to a stop next to Ferran. The second team leader snickered at him, no doubt positive that he would be disqualified. Darkon crossed his fingers inside the long sleeves of his robe, hoping Carmos was in a forgiving mood.

The Academy Master came to a stop before them and smiled.

“Good to see you on time for once, Darkon,” Carmos said. “Although I must say, you’re a mess.”

Darkon grinned in relief and straightened his robe.

Ferran’s jaw dropped visibly. “But Master Carmos, he was late!”

Carmos raised an eyebrow.

“Was he?” he said. “When I looked around he was standing right here where he should be.”

Ferran floundered for something to say while Darkon’s grin turned smug.

“Although . . . .” Carmos said thoughtfully, looking around. “There does seem to be a member of your team missing.”

Darkon turned to look at his team in surprise. Korinne was standing just behind him, on her right stood Hex, and on her left was Jair – the only person who looked like he knew what was going on. Darkon raised an eyebrow at him and Jair silently pointed at his shoulder.

“Oh, are you all looking for me?” a once-again-normal-sized Pong asked suddenly, popping up from underneath the neck of Darkon’s robe.

Darkon had to force himself not to yelp, but he couldn’t help jumping. “When did you get there?!”

“You’re so unobservant!” Pong chuckled, hopping off his shoulder so he was hovering in the air. He faced Carmos and bowed respectfully. “Pong: Team One Member One ready for assignment, Master.”

Carmos smiled at him and turned to face Ferran. “Is Team Two Member One present?”

As Ferran nodded, Pong leaned in next to Darkon’s ear and quickly hissed. “I was making sure you didn’t get injured from that impact earlier, idiot!”

Darkon smiled at his concern but didn’t reply as another fairy flew forward and bowed to Master Carmos.

“Cobalt: Team Two Member One ready for assignment, Master,” the fairy said.

Darkon studied him interestedly. Fairies always stayed very close to their masters so this was only the second time he had seen Cobalt up close.

The fairy was dressed entirely in blue and Darkon smiled at the play on his name. Even if he served Ferran at least he had a sense of humor. He had his wild blonde hair tied back loosely with a cord and there was a bored look in his dark eyes. His shirt looked as if it had once been long-sleeved but had been hacked off at his shoulders. Loose pants hung half-way down his calves and he was barefooted like Pong.

Cobalt must have felt his gaze because he turned to meet his eyes. Darkon waited for him to say something but he didn’t.

Carmos broke the silence instead by saying, “Okay, remaining team members, count off if you’re ready.”

“Hex: Team One Member Two ready for assignment, Master,” Hex said, starting it off.

“Laster: Team Two Member Two ready for assignment, Master.”

“Jair: Team One Member Three ready for assignment, Master.”

“Alos: Team Two Member Three ready for assignment, Master.”

“Korinne: Team One Member Four ready for assignment, Master.”

“Shina: Team Two Member Four ready for assignment, Master.”

Carmos nodded. “Team Leaders, your teams are ready for assignment. What is your say?”

“Darkon Andros: Team Leader One, as my team is ready for assignment, so am I,” Darkon said immediately.

“Ferran Conner: Team Leader Two, as my team is ready for assignment, so am I,” Ferran said.

Carmos smiled. “Teams, your assignment is number five: The Human World.”

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

KelekiahGaladrian on November 16, 2008, 11:42:21 AM

KelekiahGaladrian on
KelekiahGaladrianI HAVE SIGNED IN TO COMMENT ON THIS LOVERLY CHAPTER!!!!

Carmos. Interesting name. I like it. *thumbs up*

Laster, Alos, and Shina are also interesting names. Original. I luvs them. *another thumbs up*

*stops self from glomping Darkon, crying* That sounded SO painful!!! (If I glomp him, I will probably kill his back, so I won't XP) POOR DAR-KUN!!!!!!!!! *blushing while crying*

Ravin: While my hikari is off crying, I guess I'll finish this for her.... She's happy Darkon made it on time and she laughs at Ferran because she can.

Ravin: The term "The Human World" makes her blush *mutters* for obvious reasons....

*from crying position in the corner, blushes maroon*

Ravin: *rolls eyes at me* Overall, she loves the chapter and the new summary. *gives you a half hearted thumbs up*

*from corner* LUVS IT WULF-CHAN!!!!!!!!!

YoriXYamiForever on November 16, 2008, 11:59:49 AM

YoriXYamiForever on
YoriXYamiForeverThanks, I love the names too hehe.

Yes I felt sooo bad for Darkon while I was writing that part! T_T

And I laugh at Ferran too ^^ He just wanted things to be easy for him - but too bad!!!

KelekiahGaladrian on November 16, 2008, 12:02:09 PM

KelekiahGaladrian on
KelekiahGaladrianI would hope you do since, DUH, they're your characters XP

*laughing at Ferran* YOU POOR PATHETIC SOUL!!!!!!!!!

Ravin: *blinks* That sounds WAY too sadistic for her.....

*blushes maroon and starts crying again* POOR DAR-KUN!!!!!!!!! T///T

DeathNoteSurvivor on November 16, 2008, 11:53:09 AM

DeathNoteSurvivor on
DeathNoteSurvivornice Yori^^ i love all the creative names! and i could have sworn i commented on the last chapter o0 at any rate, i love how its coming, keep it up!^^

YoriXYamiForever on November 16, 2008, 11:58:08 AM

YoriXYamiForever on
YoriXYamiForeverlol, thanks!!! ^^ I like the names too, took me a while to think up the right ones XD