Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Friendship and Recovery

A forbidden love. Teacher and student. Kakashi Hatake, so aloof and coldhearted, falls for the young Sakura Haruno. She has a dangerous choice to make.

My OC is Sakura''s childhood friend and sole confidant.

Chapter 5 - Friendship and Recovery

Chapter 5 - Friendship and Recovery
Kakashi woke to a cool cloth resting on his forehead. He slowly opened one eye, the dark room very slowly coming into focus. The coherent part of his mind wondered who was treating him. The sane part was silently begging, “Please don’t let it be Sakura, oh, god, please don’t let it be Sakura.” The other part, the larger part, was praying to the stars it was. He tried to raise one hand to his face in an attempt to rub the exhaustion from his eyes, but he couldn’t even lift a finger. Both of his arms were trembling from the effort as he tried to lift them, but they would not obey. They remained motionless at his side. He sighed audibly and gave up.

“Ah, you’re finally awake!” A calm, yet pleased male voice drifted to Kakashi from the corner of the room. “You’ve been unconscious for three days,” the voice continued.

“Who…” Kakashi voiced hoarsely. Then his eyes widened in recognition as the man knelt over him to change the rag on his head. “Ryouko! How did you… How did I…?”

“You destroyed half the forest with your little tantrum, man. I’m surprised everybody in the entire village didn’t come to investigate. The impact cloud could be seen from the Hokage’s window.” Curiosity was plain in Ryouko’s voice as he gently chastised Kakashi.

“I…” Kakashi’s voice cracked and he began to cough. Ryouko quickly came over with a glass of water and helped Kakashi sit up to drink it. He downed the whole thing. The cup was set aside and Ryouko gently laid Kakashi back down onto the bed. He tried again. “Did you… tell anyone? What did you say to the Hokage?”

“I told the Hokage as little as I could get away with – that you had been injured but that you were in my care. He knows you well enough to know you’d want privacy. Although, I’m sure he’ll want an explanation from you once you’ve recovered. And no, the Hokage was the only person I told.” Questions were burning in Ryouko’s eyes, but he wouldn’t ask until Kakashi was ready to talk.

Ryouko’s such a good friend. I’ve taken him for granted. This kid is one of the most loyal people in Konoha. I think he understands more than he’s letting on, though.

“Thank you, Ryouko. You’re a true friend. I know you want to know, but I haven’t entirely worked it out for myself.” Kakashi spoke to the ceiling, then sighed. “Once I sort through it all, you would be my first choice to come talk to.”

“Well, Kakashi-sama, when you’re ready… I’m here for you. I’m always here.” Ryouko was surprised at Kakashi’s naked honesty. He had no idea Kakashi felt that way. It was then that he realized something major had happened inside Kakashi- he had been stripped of his defense. Ryouko’s hand went to his chin; he was deep in thought. “Kakashi-sama… Do you need… some time off? You know, to get away from everything? Just until you’re…” He trailed off, unsure how to say “mentally stable” without being offensive.

Kakashi was shocked to say the least. He had just been handed a Ryouko version of “crash here, bro.” He needed to recuperate, but Sasuke’s, Naruto’s, and… Sakura’s… training was more important than anything, especially himself. He couldn’t afford to be selfish. He steeled himself, then slowly began to try to lift himself from the bed. Agony. Agony. Agony ripped through every muscle in his body, and he cried out in pain, collapsing back on the bed.

“Kakashi-sama! Please, be more careful. You nearly died! It will take more than just three days to heal the damage that’s been done, and to restore all your chakra. I’m no Sakura, but I’ll do my best,” Ryouko promised. He frowned as Kakashi’s pulse skyrocketed at the mention of Sakura’s name. He wondered… His heart gave a painful squeeze as a thousand different scenarios popped into his head. The girl he loved in the arms of another man. And not just any man. In the arms of Kakashi-sama, the well-respected high-ranked member of the Leaf Village. Ryouko smiled sadly. Well, of course. Who’d take a second look at him, when in the shadow of someone like Kakashi? Well, my time was long past. I never had the courage to say anything to her. I can’t blame him, it’s my own fault. Besides, Kakashi will keep her safe. He’ll protect her. If anyone deserves someone like him, it’s Sakura. Same for Kakashi. He deserves to be happy. Well, the least he could do was try to ease Kakashi’s suffering as much as possible while he recovers.

Ryouko walked over to Kakashi and laid his hands on the man’s bare chest. He built up chakra in his hands and sent a generous amount through him to Kakashi’s ailing body, kick-starting his recovery and practically halfing the time. He collapsed into the chair, panting. Kakashi gasped, shocked at what Ryouko just did. He knew the kid was selfless, but this was ridiculous. He just gave Kakashi a third of his chakra.

“Ryouko…” Kakashi sighed and looked over at him. He was fast asleep. Kakashi allowed himself to drift into oblivion, knowing that his recovery was being overseen by a truly one-of-a-kind friend.

--

Chapter 6: http://www.fanart-central.net/chapter-100521.html

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

aly_kat_199218 on June 2, 2011, 5:30:15 AM

aly_kat_199218 on
aly_kat_199218wow.. umm wooooooowwww.... Idk what else to say yup...lol good very good.

nextguardian on January 4, 2011, 1:12:58 PM

nextguardian on
nextguardianYou nailed Ryouko's personality, absolutely dead-on. I like the range of emotions this chapter has. Another really well done chapter.
And thanks for including Ryouko! :)

YunieXTidus on January 4, 2011, 1:20:02 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusI'm so glad! It seemed like something Ryouko would do. Also, I'm hoping to have him be a key part of this story. Kakashi's new best friend and go-to guy, maybe? I'm loving writing this story.