Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Visitors

A forbidden love. Teacher and student. Kakashi Hatake, so aloof and coldhearted, falls for the young Sakura Haruno. She has a dangerous choice to make.

My OC is Sakura''s childhood friend and sole confidant.

Chapter 6 - Visitors

Chapter 6 - Visitors
"Sakura-san, you must promise not to tell anyone. Not even Naruto-kun or Sasuke-kun. I didn't want to get you involved; Kakashi-sama would kill me if he knew I'd called you." Ryouko bit his lip nervously as he looked at Sakura. "I trust you, I just wanted to make absolutely clear, so there's no misunderstanding." His hands were shaking as he ran his fingers through his hair. He was taking his life into his own hands by getting Sakura involved.

"Of course, Ryouko-kun. And what's with the formality? We're friends, aren't we?" Sakura put a reassuring hand on Ryouko's arm. Well, she had meant for it to be reassuring, but it was all Ryouko could do to not jump back from under her touch. He didn't want to hurt her feelings. As it was, he had to close his eyes and count to ten to steady his pulse. When he opened them, he saw question in her eyes, and he smiled gently.

"Of course we are, Sakura...san?" He tried, and at seeing her brow furrow in disapproval, he hastily tried again. "I-I mean, Sakura... chan?" She smiled this time, and Ryouko sighed with relief, blushing. A pet name? I never even imagined I'd be close enough to her to call her that. Sakura-chan. Hah. Sakura clapped her hands together, snapping him out of his thoughts. She had her business face on, and walked over to Kakashi.

"So, what's the injury?" Sakura asked, looking down at her sensei. She'd never seen him like this. He looked so... vulnerable. His layer of defense- hi saloof and distant manner - was stripped away in his sleep. Even through the mask that covered his face, it was obvious he was emotionally distraught. His brow was wrinkled and the skin around his eyes was drawn tight. He had even broken out into a slight sweat, plastering the hair closest to his face to his forehead. Poor Kakashi-sensei... I had no idea something could affect him this way. I guess I always imagined him to be invincible. Her eyes fell to his arms which were bandaged from the tips of his fingers to his elbows.

"Extensive chakra burns on his palms, shrapnel damage on his arms. I took out the debris, but the injury itself remains. I'm not qualified to heal him, and it's imperative that he recover as quickly and completely as possible. So... I called an expert." Ryouko blushed and snuck a sideways glance at Sakura. She looked surprised, but pleased, at his praise.

"All right, let's have a look." She took one of Kakashi's hands in hers and began to gently unwrap the bandage. Kakashi groaned in his sleep and she slowed, trying not to cause him any more pain than necessary. Once the bandage was off, she surveyed the damage carefully. This was terrible. He looked like he'd gotten into a fight with a tree, and lost. That doesn't account for the burns, though. She built up the healing chakra in her hand as she asked Ryouko, "What happened to him?"

"He got into a fight with a tree and lost," Ryouko replied, shaking his head in disapproval. Well, more like the whole forst, but no need to worry her. He watched as she placed her glowing hands over Kakashi's injury. She looked at him, her eyes wide in disbelief, then looked back to Kakashi, her gaze softening and a soft smile creeping onto her face. He turned away, his heart hurting. So there is something between them.

Sakura held up Kakashi's hand again, replacing the bandage and winding it tightly around his injuries. Gently laying his arm down, she moved to the other side of the bed and began the same procedure.

"I knew he hadn't shown up to our training, but I figured he just got held up with another mission, or something to do with the Hokage. Nothing like this." Sakura looked at Ryouko as she worked, asking without words why Kakashi was in this state. Now how, but why.

"I don't know, Sakura-chan. I was walking through the forest when I heard an incredibly loud crash. I went running and found Kakashi-sama unconscious and injured."

"So, he hasn't regained consciousness since he's been here?" She asked, surprised. She held Kakashi's arm again as she rebandaged it. "But that was four days ago!" Kakashi stirred in his sleep as Sakura's voice rose, and she flinched. She tenderly adjusted some of Kakashi's hair, pushing it away from his clammy forehead. "If it's as you say, he should have been very nearly depleted of chakra. But it would take more than four days to accumulate the amount of chakra he has now. Even Kakashi-sensei isn't that powerful. Did you...?" She trailed off, looking at Ryouko with a tender expression. He blushed profusely and looked away.

"I gave him some of my chakra to help speed up his recovery. It was the least I could do for the guy," Ryouko mumbled, shifting from foot to foot uncomfortably. He really didn't like to take credit for things like this. It felt like boasting. He also lied to her - by omission, but still. Her sensei had regained consciousness, but Ryouko knew that what Kakashi said had been in confidence. He couldn't break that trust.

Sakura stared open-mouthed at the man before her. He didn't just give Kakashi "some" of his chakra. He gave him a seriously large amount. She looked back at Kakashi's sleeping face, and gave a small smile. Ryouko really was selfless. Not many would go that far. She walked over to him, reached up, and ruffled his hair. She giggled as he turned beet red.

"You're a really great guy, you know?" She smiled up at him. His heart was pounding so hard, he was afraid it would burst. He took a step closer, closing the distance between them. His body was acting on his own. It wasn't him that put his hand on the side of Sakura's face, and it certainly wasn't him that leaned down until his lips were just centimeters from hers. He felt her sharp intake of breath, and felt his face begin to inch forward of its own accord.

--

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK[/i]

--

The loud noise broke Ryouko from his trance and he jumped back, more flustered than he'd been in a long time. He'd never come that close to kissing anyone before! As he headed for the door he glanced at Sakura. She was frozen, her eyes wide and glazed over with shock. I can't believe I almost kissed her! Where did that courage come from? ANd I know something is going on between her and Kakashi, and yet I... This is not good.

He opened the door with a yank and felt his mouth flop open. He quickly recovered himself enough to stutter, "H..Hokage-sama?!" Sakura snapped out of her trance and gathered her stuff, making a hasty retreat. On her way out the door, she bowed a greeting to the Hokage. He moved aside to let her pass, and she walked quickly in the direction of her house. The Hokage chuckled, seeing her scurrying away and taking in Ryouko's lost and forlorn expression.

"Are you going to invite me in, or shall I stand outside and grow old?" He chuckled at his own lame joke about being old.

"Y-yes, forgive me! Please, come in, Hokage-sama," Ryouko stammered, and he stepped aside to let the man in. "This was an unexpected honor. To what do I owe the pleasure?" He was glad he sounded more calm than he felt- having the Hokage in his own house was seriously throwing him for a loop.

"I came to check on Kakashi. How is our patient?" The Hokage walked over to the bed and looked down at the man resting there. He looked so vulnerable. Something happened to him, he was sure of it.

"He had almost completely depleted his chakra, and he sustained serious chakra burns on his palms, and shrapnel damage to his arms. I gave him some of my chakra, then called Sakura-kun over to heal his wounds. She treated him successfully. Now he just needs rest," Ryouko explained.

"Hmm..." The old man grunted, then asked, "How long until he's fully recovered?"

"Physically, he should be fine in a day or two. Mentally... Sir, something caused him to have... well... a meltdown. I don't know what it was, but it's obvious that whatever it was is still affecting him." Even in his sleep. "If it's not too forward, sir, I'd suggest not putting him on any high-ranking missions until he's dealt with his problem. For right now, he's emotionally compromised."

"Yes, I'm afraid I'd have to agree with you. Kakashi needs to sort this out before returning toa ctive duty. Please let me know if his condition worsens." The Hokage headed for the door. He paused at the doorway, one hand on the knob. "Ryouko... Kakashi doesn't have very many friends, and even less that he can actually confide in. Please, be there for him." And with that, he was gone.

Ryouko sank into the chair at Kakashi's bedside. He had undoubtedly made things awkward between himself and Sakura. Plus, he was treading into another man's territory. Tomorrow morning, he decided, he'd go apologize to Sakura. Kakashi should be awake by the time he got back. He sank into a dreamless sleep, still nervous about what happened with Sakura, and shaken up by the Hokage's surprise visit. His final conscious thoughts drifted to Kakashi, wondering how to help him if the man wasn't ready to confide in him.
Kakashi-sama... What happened to you?

--

Chapter 7: http://www.fanart-central.net/chapter-100542.html

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

aly_kat_199218 on June 2, 2011, 5:48:13 AM

aly_kat_199218 on
aly_kat_199218OK, I love the joke about the tree and the forest. I have to agree where did the courage come from to almost kiss her. I love old man Hokage he makes me smile!!! Its depressing that hes mentally unstable because of this but it is understandable.

andr28a on January 6, 2011, 8:43:28 AM

andr28a on
andr28aI've caught up on reading your fic and I have to say I'm impressed. But I do have to question your timeline a little.

YunieXTidus on January 6, 2011, 9:08:01 AM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusThis story is based before the Third Hokage was killed.

andr28a on January 6, 2011, 9:10:23 AM

andr28a on
andr28aThat I noticed. But Sakura only became interested in medical jutsu after both Sasuke left and Tsunade became Hokage. So I'm a little lost on that point.

YunieXTidus on January 6, 2011, 12:51:01 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusOkay, I hadn't thought of that. Well, it is a fanfic after all. :p Gosh, now I feel bad. XD

I just thought it went well with the storyline.

andr28a on January 6, 2011, 10:24:59 PM

andr28a on
andr28aIt's a good fic. I just pointed out a little opps in tearms of what Sakura is capable of at this point. But you're right it is a fanfic so I'll just shut up about that.

YunieXTidus on January 6, 2011, 10:43:35 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusThanks, and my bad. I wasn't thinking about that.

nextguardian on January 5, 2011, 3:05:34 PM

nextguardian on
nextguardianWow! This fic just gets better and better! Besides the usual compliments, really awesome work with Ryouko. Absolutely dead-on reactions, expressions, and pitiable demeanor :) Love this fic; keep it up!