Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 24 - Day 2

A forbidden love. Teacher and student. Kakashi Hatake, so aloof and coldhearted, falls for the young Sakura Haruno. She has a dangerous choice to make.

My OC is Sakura''s childhood friend and sole confidant.

Chapter 24 - Day 2

Chapter 24 - Day 2
NOTE: Yes, I am trying to make my chapters longer. It’s kind of frustrating, because I just want to be like, “Okay this is enough. *post*” But I’m workin’ on it! Anyway, enjoy!

--

Bright and early, Sakura showed up at the usual spot to wait for Team 7. She wasn’t even sure why- force of habit, probably. She was willing to put money on the fact that Kakashi wouldn’t show… again. The pink-haired kunoichi folded her arms over her chest and stared angrily at the fence across from her. She slipped into her thoughts, mulling over the past few days.

She never did find out what caused Kakashi’s injuries- the one’s she’d had to treat. It had been such a relief to her then that Hisako was a quick study, and an even better teacher. Her friend had attempted the path of a medic ninja for a little while- her unreal chakra control was well-suited to the task, and she picked up the basics of healing jutsu in no time. When it went on to poisons and more intricate and complex procedures, though, she dropped out, saying that the path of a typical shinobi was more to her liking than being a medic-nin. She did, however, teach Sakura the basics, which she practiced on her until she far surpassed her teacher. Her drive not to be a burden pushed her to excel at this one thing- and excel she did. Far beyond Hisako, and even better than a lot of the medic-nins in the village. That was why Ryouko called on her of all people for help- that and she would understand and respect Kakashi’s wish for privacy.

She thought about her visit to Hisako’s house. That man was obviously not her friend’s father, and Sakura never knew Hisako’s mother was… that way. She’d always looked up to Hisako, and she figured that her friend’s admirable qualities were inherited from her mother; that was clearly not the case. Sakura had been distressed when she learned this, because it made her realize how little Hisako talked about herself. She always listened to Sakura’s problems and Sakura’s gossip and Sakura’s good news- but the roles never really reversed.

Starting today, Sakura vowed, that will change. I want to be there for Hisako like she always is for me.

A familiar set of footsteps brought her back to reality, and she looked up with only a slightly forced smile.

“Good morning, Sasuke-kun!”

“Yo,” Sasuke replied disinterestedly. “Naruto not here yet?”

“No, not yet,” she sighed heavily, her mind on another member of their team who hadn’t arrived yet, either. Sasuke threw her a shrewd glance. I highly doubt she’s thinking of Naruto with longing like that in her voice. But it doesn’t make sense that she’d think of Kakashi-sensei like that, either. What the heck is her problem?

Not too long after, Sasuke and Sakura heard the cry of their number-one knucklehead teammate.

“Sasuke! Sakura-chaaaan!” Naruto was running full-tilt at the pair, looking more frazzled than usual. “I’m late, I’m sorry. I kinda… overslept.” A sheepish grin played across his face at the obvious disdain of his teammates.

“Jeez, Naruto, is there anything you can do right?” Sakura snipped, glaring at the poor unwitting boy.

“Hey, Sakura-chan, I-“ A look of hurt flashed across his face before he recovered himself, allowing a sheepish, yet defiant look to settle in its place. “Yeah, maybe one day.”

Immediately, regret touched her eyes, and Sakura hoped Naruto saw it there, because she was too proud to admit it aloud. Instead, she stated the obvious, yet annoying fact: “Kakashi-sensei is late. Again.”

“Not yet, Sakura,” Sasuke corrected. “It’ll be another hour before he’s late by his standards.”

“That’s true,” she admitted with a defeated sigh. They settled in to wait it out.

--

Hisako’s partner was Neji again today. They stood about twenty feet apart, regarding each other carefully. At each movement of one, the other responded accordingly. There was no way Hisako was going to take any chances with a Gentle Fist user. Neji’s thoughts were along the same line; she managed to land a hit on him the last time they fought- he wasn’t going to allow that to happen again. His pride had been injured, and it demanded retribution.

Hisako picked right up on the extra intensity coming from the Hyuuga boy, and unconsciously tensed up under his stare. Things would not go as last time, of this she was certain.

“Are you ready to begin?” Hisako called to her partner.

“Bring it,” he replied tersely. “I won’t be holding back today.”

“Tch.” Who asked you to hold back in the first place? “All right, let’s go!”

--

Tenzo got back late the night before. He almost didn’t bother to change out of his uniform before collapsing on his bed, but he knew he’d get yelled at for it somehow.

He woke up about four hours later, feeling like death warmed over. He staggered to the bathroom, stripped, turned on the warm water and stood there in the shower for several long minutes with his eyes closed, letting the water warm him and flush the tiredness from his body. After about fifteen minutes of this, he felt recovered enough to shut off the water and pad back into his bedroom, donning his navy-longsleeved shirt, navy pants and green vest, saving his hitai ate for last. After popping into the kitchen to grab a banana from the fridge, Tenzo was as ready as he’d ever be. He headed for those training grounds with a slight bounce in his step; he could feel it- today was the day he’d see a certain gennin.

--

Hisako and Neji were hardly anything but blurs to the unskilled eye. They darted in an out of their opponent’s range, testing for an opening, occasionally parrying an attack. The moment they sensed that man’s presence, they split apart wordlessly and locked eyes. It was the same man from last time, that same strong, safe presence that put Hisako at ease. But in all fairness, he looked like hell, she thought as she snuck a glance at him. He had deep bags under his eyes that showed tremendous lack of sleep, and even his posture was a little more slouched than last time. He had clearly had a late night.

Neji’s tension had increased tenfold with the appearance of the man who claimed not to be from ANBU. He had to prove his worth. At Hisako’s distraction, he snorted, and called out clearly, “Your opponent is me! It wouldn’t do to get distracted,” as he rushed at her.

She dodged just in time and replied in a pleasant tone, “You would know, Neji-kun, right?” Then she remembered Lee’s warning- Don’t antagonize Neji! He gets very defensive, and becomes stronger. You’d be in for a tough fight. Oops.

The Hyuuga boy in question let out a derisive, angry grunt and aimed a solid punch at her stomach, and when she dodged, swept his leg under her feet, causing her to lose her footing. She fell backwards, but a hand shot out and she propelled herself up and away from the angry boy. Hisako circled around him for a moment, and then ran back toward him.

--

What’s with these guys? This fight is a lot more intense than the last one.

Tenzo looked on with awe, caught up in the girl’s intense expressions, her different stances, the graceful way her body shifted to react to her opponent’s attacks and back to offense, launching attacks of her own. He could watch her spar all day, he decided, but that might come off as a bit creepy. As it was, he watched them for a good hour, and when they looked like they were about to stop for a short break, he disappeared with a body flicker jutsu. No need overstaying his welcome.

--

Of course, Kakashi never showed. Sakura was pretty pissed. Of course. Instead of making a scene like yesterday, she quietly slipped away in the middle of one of Sasuke’s and Naruto’s arguments, wandering the village aimlessly. If this kept up much longer, she’d go insane. Not to mention, Kakashi would get in trouble for shirking his duties. She ground her teeth together. If she didn’t see him soon, she’d lose what little was left of her wits at this point.

--

Chapter 25: http://www.fanart-central.net/chapter-100941.html

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

andr28a on February 11, 2011, 4:29:18 AM

andr28a on
andr28aYes Hisako needs a friend to be there for her. With the way her mother is... well its self explanitory. That reminds me. Who and where on earth is Hisako's dad?

nextguardian on February 10, 2011, 12:31:13 PM

nextguardian on
nextguardianLots of emotion going around in this chapter. Man, the frustration on the involved parties is practially bleeding through onto my screen.
Classic work, as usual :)