Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 29 - Gratitude

A forbidden love. Teacher and student. Kakashi Hatake, so aloof and coldhearted, falls for the young Sakura Haruno. She has a dangerous choice to make.

My OC is Sakura''s childhood friend and sole confidant.

Chapter 29 - Gratitude

Chapter 29 - Gratitude
Once Sakura had her towel situated well enough, she opened the door and stuck her head out, nearly headbutting Kakashi in the back.

“Oh, uh, sorry,” she stammered, his sudden proximity catching her off-guard. He didn’t respond, but followed her into the bathroom and offered her his hands. She took them gratefully, stepping into the bath. She got about halfway down when the room started spinning around her, and she began to fall. Kakashi’s arm snaked around her waist, steadying her as she lowered into the water.
“You’re going to feel really dizzy for a few minutes, so just lay your head back and close your eyes,” Kakashi suggested as he wiped his arm on a spare towel. She complied, sliding down into the water until her head rested on the lip of the tub. He made to leave, but her soft, pleading voice stopped him.

“You’ll stay, right?” Her voice shook, though whether it was from the dizziness or something else, he couldn’t say.

“If… that’s what you want,” he replied in an expressionless voice.

“It is,” was her response. Without another word, he sat down and rested his back against the tup, silver hair mingling with pink.

After a few minutes of silence, Sakura murmured sleepily, “Kaka-sensei?”

“Mm?” A one-word response was all he had energy to muster; his eyes were also closed, and he hovered on the border of unconsciousness.

“You smell nice,” she finished as she tapered into a surprisingly peaceful slumber.

Kakashi was glad, again, that he wore a mask. This girl seemed to be able to make his pale cheeks warm in a way that no one ever could. Something about her made his heart flutter, made him feel like a school-boy again.

--

The deep, even breathing of someone in her ear brought Hisako gently to consciousness. She sat up slowly, stretching in a way that could only be described as feline. She froze, arms high over her head, when she saw exactly where she was sitting. With an indignant squeak, she slid off Tenzo’s lap and fell to the floor with a thud. She winced, rubbing her injured backside and trying to comfort her injured pride when Tenzo groaned and stirred, blinking blearily. She froze again, looking sheepishly up at her guardian.

“What happened?” He asked, rubbing his eyes as a huge yawn overtook him. Hisako blushed and looked away, an embarrassed pout claiming her mouth.

“I… uh… I was surprised, is all,” she mumbled, resisting the urge to stick out her tongue at him when he gave a soft chuckle.

“Well, let’s get you some clothes, shall we?” He slapped his hands on his knees and stood up, offering her a hand. She took it, her heart fluttering when his warm fingers closed over her wrist. He pulled her up, and she had to stifle a startled gasp when her nose actually touched his upper chest. That deep, earthy smell mixed with the darker, masculine scent filled Hisako’s nostrils, leaving her dazed. She looked up at him uncertainly, the shallowest, shakiest of breaths expanding her lungs.

Their eyes locked, and Tenzo’s expression was inscrutable, his dark eyes offering no insight to Hisako as to what he was feeling. Now that she was so close, she noticed that Tenzo’s eyes were actually a deep, rich, warm brown,, and the intensity of his gaze unleashed hordes of butterflies in her stomach. He leaned down slightly, putting their faces just inches apart, and Hisako’s head spun at the taste of his breath on her tongue. She had no idea what to do.

I know that look… But I can’t, not after what just happened to her. It would be like taking advantage of her. She’s emotionally compromised right now. I have to be strong for her, support her. I can’t be thinking of kissing her silly.

Tenzo cleared his throat and took a step back, putting just enough distance between them for Hisako to think, but not enough that her feelings were hurt. Her head began to clear, and an embarrassed flush crept across her cheeks, the accompanying shy smile almost breaking Tenzo’s resolve.

So damn cute.

“All I have are t-shirts and an old pair of pajama pants… But they’d be huge on you. I could run to the store… Unless you want me to take you home?”

She only hesitated a moment before answering, “No, but I don’t want you to pay for something for me… I have some extra clothes… I was camping out in this meadow…” She flushed, embarrassed, expecting questions to be asked. When none came, she continued. “I brought some spare clothes with me, so they’d be in the tent. I could go with you to get them… Are you really sure I can stay here? I don’t want to put you out.”

“No, no, it’s no trouble at all,” he dismissed with a wave of his hand. “And no need, you can wait here and make yourself comfortable. There’s food in the fridge, and munchies in the cabinet above the sink. I think there’s some beer in the fridge, too, if you’re into that. Honestly, just help yourself. What’s that saying? ‘Mi casa es su casa?’ ‘My house is your house.’ I’ll be back before you have time to miss me,” he finished with a wink as he headed out the door.

As soon as the door shut, Hisako sank back onto the couch, dazed. She was sure, just for a moment, he was going to kiss her. Then she gave a derisive snort, and shook her head sadly. What a silly notion. Who would want to kiss her? Who would find her desirable enough to kiss? Her, a nobody gennin. Someone like her couldn’t possibly appeal to someone like Tenzo. It was silly, and pointless to even consider the notion.

“I forgot to say thank you… Again.”

The man had rescued her from… she shuddered, quickly ending that train of thought. Still, he rescued her, he offered her his house, his food, his… beer. Hisako gave a soft giggle at that. She never really pegged Tenzo for the drinking type. She stood up, suddenly, determined. The kitchen was soon a flurry of fridge-doors, knives, and cooking food as Hisako set to work, resolute on giving her savior some form of her gratitude. No one had ever been this kind to her, and she wanted to show him somehow just how much it meant to her.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

andr28a on March 17, 2011, 12:06:07 PM

andr28a on
andr28aAahh. Blosiming love in it's purest form. SO sweet.

nextguardian on March 10, 2011, 2:33:55 PM

nextguardian on
nextguardianThis chapter is downright sweet. Love the deep introspection into the emotions flying around here. Very charming chapter in that way.