Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 14 - Unfolding

This is basically the same story (with a focus on the anime rather than the manga) as the real thing but with the focus on a character I added in.

Remember this focuses on my OC, you need to know the original story to fully understand this.

Chapter 14 - Unfolding

Chapter 14 - Unfolding
“It's been two weeks since Light asked L to confine him,” Zach thought aloud. “Seeing as I haven't heard anything further from him, and since I haven't heard of any criminals being killed, I assume L complied.”

“So this guy really asked to be thrown in jail?” Rek cackled. “If ya ask me, the pressure's startin' to get to him.”

“It's entirely possible,” Zach responded, “But I'm inclined to believe Light knows what he's doing. After all, he's gotten this far, hasn't he? And as long as I do my part, everything should work out fine.”

Rek let out a harsh laugh. “So you're just gonna keep sitting back and doing whatever this guy says, huh?”

“Like I told Light when we first met, we're working toward the same goal. If he's willing to take the lead, and by that I mean the responsibility, I'm not going to complain.”

With that, Zach walked over to the desk and took out his Death Note. He opened it to the first blank page and turned on the television. As he began writing, Rek slowly made his way over and looked over Zach's shoulder.

“Huh? What's the point in using it like that?” he asked confusedly.

“You'll see, Rek,” Zach answered mysteriously, “I'm not quite done testing the limits of the Death Note, and as long as I'm using it to progress Light's plan, I might as well continue with mine as well.”

“What d'you mean, 'limits'?” Rek spat, “It's pretty straight forward: write a name and kill 'em.”

“Yes, but there's more to it than that. From what I've tested so far, I can control a victim's actions leading up to his or her death. However, if the actions I specify are physically impossible, or if I try to make them do something they would never do of their own free will, the default of a heart attack will take effect.”

“But you had a few criminals commit suicide, you telling me they just happened to want to do that?” Rek retorted.

“You're not listening. It only needs to be possible for them to carry out my instructions. Since almost any human can potentially decide to kill themselves, writing 'suicide' as a cause of death will usually work. Furthermore, I can't write anyone's name in the Death Note without killing them.”

“Please tell me there's more to that thought,” Rek said sarcastically.

“That means,” Zach continued, overlooked Rek's remark, “that it's much more difficult to control someone if I need to keep them alive.”

“But I thought you said you could control them before they die. Can't you just specify that they die much later?”
“Are you just determined to prove you know less about the Death Notes than a human?” Zach asked smugly. “According to my experiments, I can only control people for up to twenty-three days before they die. If I write that they die more than twenty-three days after I begin controlling them, then not only will they automatically die of a heart attack on the specified day of death, but they won't perform any of the actions I write. Fortunately, I think I've found a way around that.”

“Is that right?” Rek said curiously.

“Yeah, but I won't be sure until tomorrow,” Zach concluded, shutting the Death Note.

“Really? How will you know?”

“Didn't you see what I wrote in the Death Note? If all goes as I planned, I should receive an 'accidental' visit from a Mr. -”

“Hey,” came a raspy voice from behind them. Zach and Rek turned around to see Ryuk entering the room through a wall.

“Ryuk, what are you doing here?” Rek demanded.

“Don't you remember?” Ryuk spat back, “I'm supposed to tell you when Light gave up ownership of the notebook.”

“And I take it he did?” Zach asked.

“Yeah, about a week ago. I sorta forgot to tell you then,” Ryuk admitted.

“Well, thanks for telling me now, at any rate,” Zach said. “I don't think anything I've done in the past week will stand out. Thanks, Ryuk.”

“Eh, no problem. Hey, you got any apples?” he asked greedily.

“I live in a hotel, Ryuk.”

“So I guess that's a no?”

“That reminds me,” Rek interjected, “how can you afford to stay at this place?”

“When I applied to To-Oh University I also was granted a full scholarship, so my parents had no problem paying for the room,” Zach explained.

“As interesting as all this is,” Ryuk interrupted, “I'm gonna go look for some apples.” As he turned to leave, Zach stood up.

“Ryuk,” he said, “tell me one thing before you leave. Do you know if Rem has found a new owner for Misa's Death Note?”

“No idea. But knowing Rem, I'd say she's found someone by now.”

“Thanks, Ryuk,” Zach said.

“Sure. See ya,” he said with one final wave as he left.

“Why does it matter if someone else has Rem's notebook yet?” Rek asked.

“Like I said before, Rek...you'll just have to wait and see.”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

KelekiahGaladrian on June 9, 2010, 1:50:31 AM

KelekiahGaladrian on
KelekiahGaladrianWow. The chapters are getting longer! Hehe!!

I love how Zach talks to Rek. It makes me laugh ^^

And yay for Ryuk!!

I really like the way the story is "unfolding" ^^ I like that word. It's a nice word ^^