Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 15 - Alone

This is basically the same story (with a focus on the anime rather than the manga) as the real thing but with the focus on a character I added in.

Remember this focuses on my OC, you need to know the original story to fully understand this.

Chapter 15 - Alone

Chapter 15 - Alone
“Zaaaach,” Rek whined in boredom, “What are we just sitting around here for?”

“I told you, Rek, I'm expecting a visit.”

“What's so important about this guy anyway?”

“What's [important] about this is that it determines every move I make from this point on.”

Rek rolled his eyes and floated away. He had clearly lost interest. Zach returned his attention to the television, which had a banner of recent event rolling across the bottom of the screen. For several minutes he sat in silence, waiting. His focus was completely on the screen; it was as if the surrounding world didn't exist. He began to worry that his experiment was a failure.

“There!” he shouted, pointing to the caption at the bottom. His outburst had rekindled Rek's curiousity.

“What is it?” Rek asked as he moved to view the screen himself. “Bank thief fatally shoots five police officers; thief killed by stray bullet,” he read. “That you're fault?”

“That's right. Well, three of them, anyway. Unfortunately, one of the setbacks of the Death Note is that you can't force someone to kill another person. Or rather, you can't make them kill a specific person. However, that doesn't mean it's impossible to make one person kill someone you also want to die.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” asked a clearly confused Rek. Zach opened the Death Note and turned to a recent page, showing it to Rek.

“The first two entries are each one of the police officers that were shot, the first of which was the commanding officer in that area.” He cleared his throat as he prepared to read the entries. “'Shinji Inuzuka – accidental death: On June 14th, at 12:35 p.m., he corners a thief attempting to rob a local bank. He orders four police officers to follow him into the bank, where he is fatally shot.'” Zach paused to give Rek a minute to take in the information before continuing, “'Hachiro Kishimoto – accidental death: On June 13th, he reports a Kira sighting in Room 127 at the Yokoshira Hotel to the Kira Investigation team of the NPA. The next day, on June 14th, at 12:37 p.m., receives an order from a commanding officer to enter a local bank, where he is fatally shot.' And finally, I made an entry for the thief, some American who tried to escape a conviction by coming to Japan. 'Franklin Waller – accidental death: On June 14th, at 12:00 p.m., he enters a bank and pulls out a loaded gun. He demands that everyone in the bank leave immediately and proceeds to empty the registers. At 12:38 p.m., five police officers enter the bank. He begins to shoot wildly. Killed by a ricocheted bullet from his own gun.'” Zach looked up to see Rek's reaction.

“Seems like you had a lot of luck,” Rek commented.

“Not really,” Zach corrected, “I specified that Inuzuka and Kishimoto would be killed by a gunshot, and that Waller would shoot his gun. Since I made Waller evacuate the building, I made sure he only had the police as targets. There was no other way it could have ended.”

“But why'd you have that one guy report that there was a Kira sighting here? Won't the police have to inspect this place now?” Rek asked.

“I'm counting on it. I've already hidden the Death Note for now, and since this entire block is predominantly college students, they'll probably send someone younger and less experienced.”

Zach stopped suddenly. There was a knock at the door.

“Sounds like he's here,” Rek laughed.

Zach walked over and opened the door to see a dark haired man dressed in a suit.

“Hello,” the man said, somewhat nervously. “My name is Taro Matsui, I'm a member of the NPA. We received an anonymous tip that there may have been some Kira-related activity occurring here. I'm sure it's nothing, but we've made it a policy to check into any report regarding the identity of Kira.”

“Of course,” Zach replied understandingly. “You're welcome to look around, but I'm afraid you won't find anything to do with Kira here.”

“Right,” Matsuda nodded, stepping into the room. He seemed hesitant, as if he didn't know what to do next.

This guy is clueless,” Zach thought.

“Excuse me, officer, but what can I do to help?” he began.

“Uh, please, call me Matsui,” he corrected nervously, “The tip we received said that Kira was spotted here on the 12th around 10:00 in the morning. Were you here at that time?”

“I was. I didn't leave for class until 10:30.”

“And was there anyone with you at the time?” Matsuda continued, examining the desk in the corner.

“In a manner of speaking,” Rek laughed. Zach shot him a displeased look. He knew this man could not see nor hear Rek, but he still felt uneasy about it.

“No, I was alone” Zach answered.

“In that case,” Matsuda said, “I'm going to need you to come to the station so we can put you on record.”

Perfect.” Zach though with a grin. “Wait, you mean just like that you're accusing me of being Kira?”

“No, no, no, it's not like that at all. It's just that with the magnitude of this case, we have to make sure to keep a record of anyone claiming to be Kira or be connected to him in some way.” Matsuda explained, still inspecting the room.

“Oh, I see,” Zach replied in false ignorance. “Of course I'll come with you.”

As they left the hotel, Zach found himself struggling to keep himself from laughing.

Looks like I over-prepared,” he thought. “I could have just as easily kept the notebook on my person, he never even bothered to check my clothing.”

“Mr. Matsui,” he asked, “have the police actually arrested anyone on the grounds of being Kira?”

Matsuda looked at him strangely for a moment. “Um, I'm afraid I can't share that kind of information.”

That's a yes. So, Light has definitely been detained by L.

The car ride to the police station was completely silent. On occasion, Zach wondered if he should say what he was thinking, but decided to wait. This was something that needed to be said after they had gotten to the station. Finally, Matsuda came to a stop. Zach looked out the window to see that they had arrived. They walked in together and Matsuda took him to a room past the front desk, where Zach provided the information for his file.

“Well,” Matsuda said after they had finished, “that should be it for now. Would you like a ride back to your hotel?”

“No, that's okay. I can walk back.” Zach began to leave, but something was stopping him. He couldn't let this opportunity pass by.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

KelekiahGaladrian on June 9, 2010, 1:52:05 AM

KelekiahGaladrian on
KelekiahGaladrian*laughs* Dude, you are a GENIUS. I don't think I'd be able to work something like that for killing people that way. Zach is AWESOME.

And I love the way he talks to Rek, again. That's just funny.

MATSUDA!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE MATSUDA!!!!! And I love how you worked the scene with him. That's just great ^^