Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 16 - Deceit

This is basically the same story (with a focus on the anime rather than the manga) as the real thing but with the focus on a character I added in.

Remember this focuses on my OC, you need to know the original story to fully understand this.

Chapter 16 - Deceit

Chapter 16 - Deceit
“Mr. Matsui,” he began, “I'm not sure how important this is, but I was wondering if you would be at all interested in a theory I have been developing regarding the Kira case.”

“Well of course, any new ideas are always welcome.”

“Well, I'm sure that the police have already figured this out, but the fact that there have been two weeks without any reports of criminals dieing makes me think that he was trying to accomplish something. If the team investigating Kira took anybody into custody right before the killings stopped, then its possible that he or she arranged to have Kira's power transferred to someone else.” He stopped for a minute. He could see that Matsuda, hanging on every word now. “But, I guess that sounds a little ridiculous, huh?” Zach finished, scratching the back of his head.

“N-no! Not at all! It's a very interesting theory. I'll make sure that L hears about it.” Matsuda said eagerly.

A surge of excitement shot through Zach's body. “Does that mean you're actually working with L?” he asked.

“Oh, um...” Matsuda paused. He had clearly not meant to let Zach learn of his connection with L. “Yes, I'm a member of the Kira Task Force. Please, you must keep that a secret. You can understand why the people trying to catch Kira can't go around telling people.”

"I can't believe my luck," Zach thought, "I thought that I'd just get some rookie looking into the tip I had that officer report, but they actually sent a member of the Task Force! But I can't let my excitement take control right now. I have to stay focused" He took a moment to regain his composure. “You have my word. But, could I ask a favor of you, then?”

“A...favor?” Matsuda asked, surprised. “Um, sure, why not?”

“I believe that my theory will carry more weight if L believes it came from a reliable source. I would hate for Kira to get away because I was determined to take credit for an idea.”

“Hehehe,” Rek cackled. He was obviously amused by Zach's feigned innocence. “Listen to you. Playing at both sides to make sure you're covered either way, huh?”

“So you want me to tell L that it was my idea?” Matsuda inquired.

“Yes. Of course, if you're uncomfortable with it, I under-”

“No, you're right,” Matsuda interrupted. “L will be much more likely to look into your theory if he believes it came from within the Task Force.”

He stopped as his cell phone rang. Zach watched Matsuda's face as he listened to whoever it was that had called. He seemed very surprised and excited. What was going on?

“I'm sorry, but I have to go,” he said suddenly as he hung up the phone.

“Oh, okay,” Zach said, taken aback. Without another word Matsuda ran to his car and left. “I wonder what that was about.”

Matsuda burst into a hotel room. In addition to the other Task Force members already there, L sat in front of a moniter.

“What's going on?” he asked. “I just heard, two weeks worth of criminals were just murdered all at once, it happened yesterday!”

“Yeah, Kira is back” commented another member of the investigation.

“So did you guys already tell the chief?” Matsuda asked.

“No, not yet.”

Matsuda ran to the screen L had been watching and picked up one of the microphones in front of it. “Guess what chief!” he shouted, “Kira's started killing again!”

“What?” Chief Yagami asked, stunned.

“It looks like Kira was only resting,” Matsuda explained, “But now he's started punishing criminals again!”

“Is that true, Matsuda?” the chief asked. “Then, that means...my son...I shouldn't he happy that people have been killed, but...at least Light's name will finally be cleared. Wait, knowing Ryuzaki, this won't be enough to clear him.”

Every present member of the Task Force immediately turned there gazes to L, waiting for his judgement. L looked around, taken aback by the sudden onset of everyone's attention.

“Well,” L mumbled, “he's in the grey.”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

KelekiahGaladrian on June 9, 2010, 1:53:50 AM

KelekiahGaladrian on
KelekiahGaladrianYay for Zach's awesome theories and Matsuda's enthusiasm. ^^ Matsuda is HILARIOUS. I LOVE him.

Oh, and love L, too. L's AWESOME.

I love this chapter, too. It's EPIC.