Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 17 - Outcome

This is basically the same story (with a focus on the anime rather than the manga) as the real thing but with the focus on a character I added in.

Remember this focuses on my OC, you need to know the original story to fully understand this.

Chapter 17 - Outcome

Chapter 17 - Outcome
“It's been over a month since that police guy was here,” Rek groaned, “and all you've done since then is go to class, come home, do schoolwork, and spend an hour or two writing in the Death Note. I thought you had some kind of big plan to be working on.”

“Be patient, Rek,” Zach said calmly, his attention never shifting from the schoolwork he had been doing. “I do have a plan, but I also have to keep my grades up. Remember, if my parents find out that I'm not doing well in school, there's a strong chance that they'll make me go back to America. Besides, I can't use the notebook too much right now, I have to let the Task Force find the new Kira.”

“Why do you want them to find this other guy so badly?” Rek growled, “If they catch him, won't they get a hold of the notebook?”

“I'm counting on it,” Zach replied, moving on to another class' work. “By now, it's highly likely that L has released Light from custody, since the new Kira and I have been punishing criminals while he's had no contact with the outside world.”

“I get it,” Rek laughed, “Light Yagami helps find whoever Rem ended up giving the notebook to, and when the police arrest him, they'll take the notebook. Then, Light can touch it and regain all his memories of being Kira.”

“Right,” Zach said, “There might be hope for you Shinigami yet.”

Rek responded with a baffled look. “But if the police find out about the notebooks, won't that be a problem?”

“Not necessarily,” Zach answered, finally abandoning his attempt to finish his schoolwork. “They wouldn't know that there are other Death Notes in the human world. With any luck, Light can keep them from touching the notebook and they won't even be able to see Rem.” He stopped and thought for a moment. “However, with Light being a suspect I doubt they would entrust the notebook to him. The question is,” he continued, “what will Light do once he regains his memories?”

“Eh, all I know is that right now, you're about as interesting as a stick. Why can't you actually do something with the Death Note?”

“I am using the Death Note, Rek. But I have to keep my activity to a minimum, and I still have a few more experiments to finish.”

“What?” Rek asked incredulously, “you mean to tell me you're still playing around with that Death Note? I gave it to you so that you could do something interesting with it.”

“Trust me, Rek. You might be bored now, but the end result should be very interesting.”

“If you say so. I just don't get what the point of these experiments is,” Rek complained.

Zach merely grinned and leaned back in his chair, staring at the ceiling.

“Rek,” he asked, “Have you ever given a human a Death Note before?”

“No,” he said simply.

“But you've seen other humans who have gotten a Death Note in the past, right?”

“That's right,” Rek replied, “It's not often that a Shinigami drops a notebook into the human world, so when it happens a lot of Shinigami tend to watch that human until they're done using the notebook. I still can't believe three different notebooks ended up here at the same time.”

“Well, it's a good thing that they did,” Zach said thoughtfully, “because Kira couldn't survive a single person. But together, there's a very real chance that this world will have a new God watching over it very soon.”

“Hehehehe. Confident, are we?”

There was a sudden ringing noise. Zach reached into his pocket and took out his phone. His face took on an expression of mixed anxiety and excitement.

“It's...my mother,” he told Rek, answering the phone. “Hello?”

“Hello, Zach,” came his mother's voice. “I've got some bad news.”

“What's wrong, Mom?”

“You remember the Bensons, right?”

“Of course. They live in the house at the end of the street. Didn't their son get hospitalized a few months ago?”

“Yes. I'm afraid he finally took a turn for the worst. He died last night.”

“That's terrible,” Zach said, his voice remaining steady.

“There's more,” his mother continued, holding back a sob. “His parents were found dead this morning. They think it was caused by grief over the loss of their son.”

“I'm sorry to hear that,” Zach said. He seemed to genuinely mean it. “Mom, I...I'll call you back later.”

“I understand,” she said. Zach hung up the phone without another word. He dropped it to the floor as he slumped back into his chair. For several moments he stared at the floor, completely silent.

“What's your problem?” Rek finally asked.

As Zach sat motionless, something began to overcome his disbelief. His heart started racing faster and faster. He could feel the pressure building inside his chest. A small grin broke the stillness of his ghostly expression.

“It worked,” he whispered. All at once his emotions burst to the surface as he broke out laughing. “Hahahaha! I did it! It all went according to plan! As long as Light is successful in his plan, everything will turn out perfectly!”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

KelekiahGaladrian on June 9, 2010, 1:55:24 AM

KelekiahGaladrian on
KelekiahGaladrianOoh, another long chapter. I like long chapters ^^

Zach sounded a little creepy with his laugh right there at the end, but that's cool. I like creepy when it comes to this kind of stuff :P

Again, the way Zach talks to Rek and Rek's complaining make me laugh. Absolutely beautiful ^^