Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 18 - Compromise

This is basically the same story (with a focus on the anime rather than the manga) as the real thing but with the focus on a character I added in.

Remember this focuses on my OC, you need to know the original story to fully understand this.

Chapter 18 - Compromise

Chapter 18 - Compromise
The only sound that could be heard was Zach's breathing as he took in the magnitude of the moment.

“What's the big deal?” Rek asked. “So you used the Death Note to kill some family from your old neighborhood, so what?”

“They're son has been in and out of juvenile detention centers for years. He needed to be punished. The parents' deaths were an unfortunate necessity. Besides, it's not the deaths themselves, Rek,” Zach said with a self-satisfied smile. “It's what they prove.”

“Eh? What's that?”

“Two things. First, that I don't need to specify an actual date. Secondly, it proves that as long as a disease has the potential to be fatal, it can be used to kill a person at a time outside my control.”

Rek scratched his head. “And what's the point in that?”

“You know, Rek,” Zach thought aloud, “for someone who doesn't like questions, you sure ask a lot of them. The point is that the Task Force is examining every death caused by Kira. They are also operating under the assumption that there is some significance in every case. Killing someone through natural disease results in a completely insignificant date. But I doubt that they'll even find out about these deaths. After all, it was just some small American family; the Kira they're familiar with would have no reason to kill people like that.”

There was a sudden, loud thud coming from outside the room. Zach's heart skipped a beat. Without a word he rushed to the door and threw it open. The hall was empty, except for a single maid's cart sitting outside the door of the next room over.

Zach turned around and shut the door behind him.

Damn it!” he thought. “Was there someone out there listening? Even if there was, I have no way of knowing who they are. I don't even have a name to work with! This isn't good, I'm going to have to act fast.

“What's with you?” Rek growled, watching Zach panic. “It was just something falling over in the hall.” Zach looked up for a moment, remaining completely silent.

He...could be right,” Zach thought as he mind raced. “But...if someone did hear us...

“Hellooo? Zach?” Rek asked as he waved his hand in front of Zach's face. Zach threw up an arm and knocked Rek's hand aside.

“This is serious,” Zach said sternly, “We have to determine if anyone heard something significant.”

“And how are you going to do that?” Rek asked, clearly amused.

“Rek, I need you to look in all the rooms along this hall. I looked outside as soon as we heard that noise, so if there was someone out there, they must have gone into one of these rooms. There's a good chance that it was the maid outside who heard something, which means she's most likely in the next room over.”

Rek stared back at him in silence. “Look, this is your problem, not mine,” he said at last.

Damn Shinigami, he's useless.” In a panicked rush, Zach ran over to the wall and put his ear to it. Although it was muffled, he could still hear a voice. Zach listened intently, barely able to hear over the pounding of his own heart. Suddenly his face went white.

“She called the police,” Zach told Rek.

“So what?” Rek asked, reclining in midair. “They wear name tags, don't they? Just write his name in the Death Note.”

“You're right,” Zach said, relieved. His breathing slowed down and returned to normal. “Who'd have thought you'd have a good idea?”

“Huh?” Rek responded in surprise.

“Which means I just have to find out that maid's name. But just in case...” he trailed off as he picked up the Death Note. “I have to find somewhere to hide this for the time being.”

After several minutes of searching for a spot to stow his notebook, he finally decided on a small gap between the bed and the wall.

“It's not the safest place in the world, but if the police officer they send decides to look around I'll have time to write his name on the piece of the Death Note I have with me.” There was a knock on the door. “Looks like it's time.”

Zach opened the door, his mind completely focused on his plan. Just as he had expected, there was an officer standing in front of him.

“Can I help you?” Zach asked.

“I need you to come with me, sir,” the man said simply.

“Oh? Uh, okay,” Zach replied with a feigned innocence. “Damn it, I thought I would have a chance to write his name down. I already had to create a file for myself at the police station so I could make contact with the Task Force. If they think that a second person called in claiming that I'm Kira, they'll have more than enough reason to suspect me. I have to be quick about this.[/i]” He looked closely at the man's name tag. “Haru Kobayashi, is it? Now I just have to remember his name and kill him as soon as I get an opportunity.

After arriving at the police station, Zach was directed to a small holding cell. As he looked around, he noticed that there was only one other cell was occupied. The officer who had brought him in was facing away from him; it looked like he was entering something into the computer. “Now's my chance,” Zach thought. He removed the piece of the Death Note from the hidden pocket in his jacket, as well as a small clothespin. He opened the clothespin and pressed the needle end into the tip of his finger, coating the needle tip with his blood. Zach proceeded to carefully write the entry for the police officer.

Haru Kobayashi – suicide: at 1:35 p.m., on July 25, after releasing two people from their cells in the immediate vicinity, he deletes all records of their existence in the police database. Afterwards, he returns home and hangs himself.” Zach looked up at a clock on the wall. There was only one more minute to go. Zach counted every second until the anticipation was almost too much to bare. “10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2...

Zach felt his stomach turn over. “What the hell?! Nothing happened!” Rek began cackling uncontrollably. “It's a fake name...” Zach realized. “It makes sense, they know that Kira needs at least a name to kill. Damn! I have to kill him soon, and I've only got enough room on the piece of the Death Note I brought to try one more time. But...there's no way for me to find out his real name without revealing I know he used an alias!” His stomach lurched again as he realized his only way out.

“Rek,” he whispered solemnly, “let's make a deal.”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

KelekiahGaladrian on June 9, 2010, 2:00:09 AM

KelekiahGaladrian on
KelekiahGaladrianOoh, more long chapters, hehe!

Oh dear, Zach was discovered kinda by some random maid!

Wow, Rek is pretty useless.

CLIFFIE!! NO!! *falls over* That's so mean TT_TT

I wonder what this deal is. . . .