Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - Pass Interference

Kagome is bored with her typical high school life. When a cute stranger comes through her family's well and she tries to pass him off as an 'exchange student' at her school, their lives will never be the same. Look for all your favorite characters

Chapter 11 - Pass Interference

Chapter 11 - Pass Interference


AN: Hey guys and gals, I will try, try, try to update again before holiday madness kicks in. I'm backpacking in SE Asia from Dec 23 - Jan 9, so there will NOT be updates during that time.



I do not the characters.



Chapter 11: Pass Interference



Hmm….I wonder what he's thinking about asking for. I can think of a few things…



We are not having this conversation.



Would it be so bad if asked for say a---



Stop it right there!



Kagome stopped her very overactive imagination, “Maybe you should just join another team.”



“You don't want me around?”



“Do you always have to assume the worst?”



“Keh.”



“I just think maybe a contact sport might be more up your alley. You obviously have a lot of pent up frustration…” Kagome smirked, then mentally chastised herself for sounding so much like Kikyo.



Inuyasha wasn't exactly sure what she was implying, but noticed her scent had spiked. He said, “Who will protect you?”



Kagome grabbed Inuyasha's chin and pointed it in the direction of the football practice fields, “See over there. That's where the football team practices. You'll be in sight of me most afternoons. Also, you can keep an eye on…him.”



Inuyasha didn't have to question who “he” was. What he was questioning was Kagome's delicate hands on his face. This world on the other side of the well had been the start of a number of firsts for the hanyou.



As Inuyasha and Kagome looked across the field, Kagome saw Kouga trotting out to the practice field, appreciatively taking in the sight of Kouga in his mesh jersey and practice shorts. Kouga looked up and waved over at Kagome.



Kagome blushed and waved back.



Inuyasha looked over at his raven haired companion and motioned to her cheeks, “What's all that about?”



Kagome blushed even more, “Nothing.”



Inuyasha looked across at Kouga and back to Kagome, then puffed out his chest, “I can play this football too.”



Kagome looked at him doubtfully, but considering how easily she could imagine Inuyasha jumping over the long jump pit she said, “Let's go. I'm going to give you a crash course in American football.”



The pair walked over the bleachers and sat down to watch the St. Joe's team practice. Kagome knew a fair amount about the sport and Inuyasha was a quick study, and they discussed what position he might be best at. Inuyasha tried not to stare at Kagome at she talked excitedly about the game. She had an inner light and optimistic outlook for almost everything.



“So that's football, well, American football at least. Any questions?”



“So if I play on the same team as Naraku, then I can't do anything to hurt him?”



Kagome lowered her voice, “I'm afraid not.”



“I'll see if I can't figure out a way around that,” Inuyasha's gold eyes flashed angrily.



“You know what I mean. Also, we should see about putting that fang of yours on a string so you don't accidentally get it knocked from you and reveal your ears.”



“Keh.”



Inuyasha got an invitation to participate when a practice ball came careening their way. With the dexterity of a jungle cat, Inuyasha easily grabbed it out of the air.



He looked over at Kagome. She rolled her eyes, but smiled at him, “Go ahead.”



As Inuyasha picked up the ball and tossed it around in his hands to get used to the weight, he briefly remembered his beautiful mother, who had once looked upon him with the same radiant smile Kagome had just given him. Inuyasha's memories of his mother were the shining, golden moments he clutched to.



That smile she gave was just for me.



Maybe this wench is different.



Inuyasha was nearing the other players and went up to the man who Kagome had named “Coach Lambert.”



“You new to St. Joe's, son?”



I'm not this guy's son. “Yes.”



“That was a nice catch. You play ball?” The coach tossed the football in the air.



“Yes?”



Kagome had told him to answer all the questions with some sort of positive answer.



“Well, one of our receivers is out of practice today at detention, so why don't you fill in.”



Inuyasha didn't say anything, but went over to where some of the players were throwing and catching the ball. He noticed that Kouga was one of them.



Coach Lambert came up and started yelling instructions to the drill, “Alright, Inuyasha, I want you as receiver and Kouga you cover him on cornerback. Let's see if you can really catch.”



Inuyasha looked across the field and was glad to see the menacing Naraku wasn't going to be playing with his squad. All of the sudden the play began, Inuyasha ran the pattern that had been described and waited for the ball to come his way. He didn't count on Kouga being all over him. If that wasn't enough, Kouga had started a stream of irritating comments since the ball had been snapped.



“What were you and Kagome talking about?”



“None of your business.”



“Well, I think you should back off. It's obvious she likes me.”



“What?”



Inuyasha stopped running. The ball flew over his head and Kouga easily caught the ball.



Coach Lambert yelled across the field, “Dammit Inuyasha! You have to catch the ball. I'll give you one more chance.”



Inuyasha and Kouga lined up on the line of scrimmage and Inuyasha waited for the ball to be snapped. His golden eyes took in the field in front of him and he saw Kagome watching from across the field.



“Hike!”



Inuyasha sprinted out and got far ahead of Kouga. He didn't have to watch for the ball, he just sensed it was close and easily caught it and ran all the way down the field to the end zone. He would've kept running if he hadn't seen Kagome waving her arms to stop. She was smiling, so Inuyasha supposed he had done something right.



He turned around and saw the Coach grinning, “Good job. Kouga, where were you?”



Kouga mumbled something.



The Coach had everyone huddle up again, “Well, let's run one more play and then hit the showers.”



The quarterback hiked the ball and Inuyasha started off with the same speed he had during the last play, he was breaking away from Kouga, when a foot got in his way and he tripped and landed in the grass.



Kouga came up with the ball, returning to laugh at Inuyasha, “What happened, man?”



Inuyasha didn't even give Kouga an answer he just leapt out and tackled him. It was awkward for him to fight without his claws, but he managed to get a few good punches in before the fight was broken up by other players.



Coach Lambert looked at the pair of them, “We don't have room for immature hot heads on this team. If you think you can get over yourselves, you can show up at tomorrow's practice. If not, I've got some advice for you. Grow up.”



Kagome had run onto the field. She stood in front of the young men, hands on her hips. Both Inuyasha and Kouga were having a difficult time meeting her intense stare. She muttered, “I'll see you at the car.”



The tone is her voice was frosty and there probably wasn't a person on the field who wanted to trade places with Inuyasha at the moment.



He showered quickly and walked out to meet Kagome. She was waiting with her arms crossed. She didn't say anything as they got in the car.



Inuyasha started, “He tripped me.”



It was all Kagome needed to get really angry, “Inuyasha, hello? Did you think about what you were doing? As a half demon you could've destroyed Kouga and completely blown your cover. You risked everything today. I don't know, maybe that's what you were trying to do…”



Inuyasha felt terrible. Again, coming through the well had brought forth a number of emotions he didn't ever remember feeling before. However, his pride was a great thing and he certainly wasn't going to apologize. After all, he was the one who was tripped.



They drove home in silence.



Kagome sighed as she was getting ready for bed that evening.



Maybe you're expecting too much out of him. He's from a completely different world!



I know.



Well, cut him some slack. He's trying his best.



Kagome briefly thought about finding the hanyou and apologizing for her earlier outburst, but decided it could wait until morning.



Inuyasha watched Kagome's room from his perch in the tree.



That Kouga is one lucky…



Inuyasha tried to quiet his youkai voice. We have to do things differently here.



Why?



That's just the way things have to be. Adapt and change.



His youkai was quiet. I still think Kouga deserves an @$$ kicking.



I know, but I think we're angry at him for different reasons.



What do mean?



No reason.



As Kagome and Inuyasha climbed in her car the following morning, Kagome tried to ignore the awkwardness that existed. She turned down the radio and looking straight ahead, said, “I'm sorry, Inuyasha.”



“Keh.” Great response.



“I think you should keep playing football.”



“Really?”



“Yeah,” Kagome dug around in her messenger bag, “Here, for your fang.”

Inuyasha took the leather strap from her, intentionally brushing his fingertips against hers. He smiled as a blush crept up her cheeks. Take that Kouga…



As Inuyasha tied the fang around his neck, the ride to school was much more comfortable.



Kagome wasn't surprised to see Kouga at her side on Friday morning.



“Hey Kagome.”



She kept walking, pretending that she hadn't seen him.



“I deserve that. I just wanted to apologize for yesterday. I shouldn't have tripped him.”



Kagome wanted to accept his apology. Think about it Kagome, you have a PRINCE groveling at your feet.



Still…



“To make things right, I was wondering if I could take you out tomorrow night.”



AN: In case I don't get to update, Happy Holidays to all my awesome readers!

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

MartinaM89 on January 6, 2006, 4:51:47 AM

MartinaM89 on
MartinaM89This is sooooo good!!! Keep up the good work! Can't wait for the next chapter:-)