Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Editorial on Editorials

Sometines, ranting just doesn't cut it when expressing your opinion. That's where these editorials come in. I guess you can read it if you're bored or something.

Chapter 1 - Editorial on Editorials

Chapter 1 - Editorial on Editorials
Newspapers used to be a reliable source of information. You could pick up a paper and get the facts about current events. The editorials expressed the simple opinions of those writing them. Not, if you open the daily Post, you are bombarded with articles about radical events with more fiction than face and editorials which try to convince you to think the way the authors do. Recently, a teacher criticized an editorial I did for a writing assignment as having “too many opinions, not enough facts.” When I looked in a real newspaper to see how I should be writing, I was pounded with pieces that were much worse than mine! The only facts I could see were the ones that told the reader what the editorial, or should I say opinional, was about.

Every day at school, I do my best to keep my handwriting neat, spelling correct, and grammar readable. Yet, glancing through the paper, I saw more spelling and grammar errors than there are days in a week. It’s ironic that those people who protest what the education system is teaching our kids write worse than an eighth-grader. In fact, the most intelligent words in the “Perspective” section were short comments sent in by readers. We should be worried about the education of those writers, in my opinion.

One-quarter of the issues discussed had something to do with the environment. I saw complaints about conservationists speeding in their SUV’s, budget cuts for the National Forest Service, and comments about climate changes. I’ll admit that the fact that Colorado is currently digging itself out of the snow while Washington D.C. has cherry blossoms blooming is mildly disturbing. However, there is one way to save the forests that no one seems to have seen: stop printing the complaints and put the spared tree toward fixing the problem, not wasting a forest whining about it.



Author's note:Yeah, I had to do this for school. It was a redo of the editorial mentioned in the first paragraph. My mom liked it, so I decided to put it up. Did I mention my mom is my teacher? Homeschooling rocks.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment