Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 74 - Making a Fool of History

A Sonic X fanfic. Features fan chars at times, and is my second-longest running series!

Chapter 74 - Making a Fool of History

Chapter 74 - Making a Fool of History
Linda shot again, piercing the target through the forehead. “Take it easy Linda.” Her supervisor, Carl, was telling her. “You’re doing a great job. But…is something wrong?” Linda shot again, her finger yanking the trigger, rather than pulling it. “Carl, it’s been great here, but is it all right if I go it alone? I don’t want a squad. I need some time to myself.” Carl shook his head. “I can’t do that.” Linda pulled off her badge. “Okay, I quit then.” She stomped off, furious with everyone and everything.

“The chaos emerald can handle the master emerald’s job.” Knuckles was telling Ekyt. He wasn’t angry, now that he knew the full story. “Knux, do you know what Linda got upset about? I did what I had to do.” Knuckles flinched, which Ekyt picked up on. Knuckles didn’t bother to lie. “Well, when her and I were together, she told me about her memories of the Floating Island. She was born here, when the Island was on it’s last legs as a tribe. When she returned, nothing was like she remembered it. Except the Master Emerald. So, I guess she thinks you destroyed the last link to her past, whether you had a choice or not.” Ekyt cursed to himself. “I guess I didn’t have a choice. But still…Knux, how much more is the world going to ask of me?” Knuckles was surprised by Ekyt’s sudden willingness to talk. “What do you mean?” Knuckles asked carefully. “I mean, I’m always fighting myself. In my mind, one half of me wants to throw in the towel and give in to the anxieties that I have to suffer every day. The other half wants to be a hero. It’s never an easy choice. But I make the only one I can. And then there’s the fact that if everyone in the Station Square Jail were free, they would come after me. And you know, I wonder if I belong here… I know I would never have made it where you come from. Heck, I’m not making it here. But I can’t leave either. Like you guard the Master- Chaos Emerald, I feel like I guard the city. But I’m not necessary, and I know it. The city did fine before I got here, and would probably continue if I left.” Knuckles really had no idea what to say.

“Gimme your money!” Some toothless thug was threatening Linda. “You picked the wrong day bozo. Take a hike before I have to hurt you.” The thug chuckled. “Oh, you slay me! I’d like to see you try!” “Tut-tut, where are your manners?” Ekyt swung off the fire escape and onto the thug. “Threatening a lady? I should tell your mother! And as I recall, she’s in jail. Time for a family reunion.” Ekyt threw the man into the police station, dragging him to a cell which one officer held open. “Thanks Rob. See you tomorrow.” Ekyt said in a falsely chipper voice, tossing the thug inside. “Aye, keep ‘em coming.” Ekyt nodded with a false smile. He walked back outside, to find Linda…staring at him. Oh boy. The look she was giving him was usually reserved for criminals. “Look, I get what happened Linda. You know I wouldn’t intentionally hurt you. I had no choice. I hope you can understand that.” Ekyt said. “The last link to the life I once knew…and probably my only hope to get home. You destroyed it.” “If I didn’t you wouldn’t have a home to go to! If you hate me, I deserve it. I’ll always feel guilty.” Linda didn’t answer. It was dark now, and the rain and streetlights made the meeting look like a 1920’s film. Ekyt bowed his head and dropped something at her feet before walking off.

“Hmm?” Ray looked up, expecting see the rowdy bunch that usually inhabited his bar come in through the door. “Only a crazy person would come out in this weather.” Ray said with a grin. “You got that right.” Ekyt said flatly. Ray immediately dispensed with the jokes. “Hey, you alright?” Ekyt sucked his breath in. “Well, my girlfriend just broke up with me, I can’t go home (He kind of lives nowhere. If he stayed in one place, the criminals he busted would find him –NG)… So, yeah, no worse than usual.” Ekyt said, eyebrow’s raised. “You know, usually when the depressed guys come in here, they want alcohol. Drinkin’ age here is eighteen, yet I’ve never seen you touch the stuff.” Ray said with a small smile. “I grew up with stories of two grandfather’s dying because of the way they drank. I swore I wouldn’t touch the stuff. Nothing personal.” Ekyt explained. “Between you and me, I stopped drinking after the liver transplant.” Ray chuckles. “A bartender and his biggest customer, and neither one will drink a drop. That’s gotta be a first.” Ekyt laughed once, then turned as the door opened again…

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Shadowthe_hedgehog on March 18, 2007, 1:46:09 PM

Shadowthe_hedgehog on
Shadowthe_hedgehogSweet! poor Ekyt, I hope Linda doesn't stay mad at him. Nice chapter

ShyWanderer043 on March 16, 2007, 3:21:55 PM

ShyWanderer043 on
ShyWanderer043jeez this is just terrible, you gotta do something to make things better for Ekyt, isn't that right klein
 
Klein: *nods* i would hate for Ekyt to become even more depressed....

nextguardian on March 17, 2007, 4:07:59 PM

nextguardian on
nextguardianPoor Ekyt. I've been depressed myself, and since he's a reflection of me, he suffers, lol.

Flashthehedgehog on March 16, 2007, 4:26:13 AM

Flashthehedgehog on
FlashthehedgehogWonderful chapter. I feel sorry for Eykt for losing Linda (Duh!)