Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 76 - Hospital Visit

A Sonic X fanfic. Features fan chars at times, and is my second-longest running series!

Chapter 76 - Hospital Visit

Chapter 76 - Hospital Visit
Ekyt needed a distraction. But he also needed to help people. He went to the hospital. He got rid of the mask, and asked who needed a visitor. “Well, we have a boy, about ten years old, he had a stroke. I don’t know if he’ll ever walk again. His Mother died giving birth, and his father just skipped town. The poor kid. He’s got blonde hair, cut short, green eyes, and an inquisitive look.” Ekyt thanked the nurse and walked to the room.

Greg Hillman sat in his hospital bed. He barely spoke beyond thanking the nurses for bringing food. A knock came at the door. “Come in.” He said quietly, expecting the nurse to bring dinner. Instead, a guy- Greg couldn’t tell the age- wearing a trench coat walked in. “You’re Greg? I’m Ekyt. Nice to meet you.” “Who are you?” Greg asked with childhood innocence. “Good question. I’m just someone who came to visit. I don’t know what that means to you, but” “I never get visitors. How come you came?” Greg asked. “Are you coming to take me away?” Ekyt smiled. “No. I’m just…well, I could be a friend. You got a bad hand dealt to you.” Greg rolled his eyes. “Tell me about it. I’d shake your hand, but I can’t move my left leg.” “It’s okay. I heard your story. You’re a tough kid.” “Thanks. But I have no choice. Either I’m tough, or I’m dead.” Ekyt cast him a sad glance. “You think the same way I do. I’ll tell you a secret- well, not much of one anymore, I guess- I’m the vigilante that…”

“His frustration must have hit the boiling point. Although, if I know him, he was only doing what was necessary.” Linda was thinking out loud. Flash (Flashthehedgehog) and Tiffany (Shadowthe_hedgehog) agreed. Ray piped up. “You know, something really got to him. I don’t know what. But he mentioned something about the hospital to me.”

“…That was you? I saw that on TV! I can’t believe all those guys attacked you!” “It happens a lot. I don’t get thrills from doing it.” Greg sat up, a little more alert. “Hey, what’s the matter with your leg?” he pointed at Ekyt’s leg. “In a fight, you get hurt. One goon hit me in the leg. That’s why I’ve got a cane. It’s great for self defense though.” Greg let his face drop. “They don’t think I’ll walk again, do they?” Ekyt was going to lie, but stopped. “How did you know?” “They baby me. And they talked about finding me a foster home. I don’t want to go. But it’s selfish to stay here.” Greg cried a little while he spoke. “I have no one. But they don’t take me seriously! If I tell them I want to walk, they smile and tell me how “brave” I am. I hate that! I know they’re just being nice. But I can do it!” Ekyt gave him a rare smile. He looked around the glass room. It was nice, as hospital rooms went, but who would want to live here?

Linda looked through the glass. She was surprised to see Ekyt talking to the patient. Even amid her hatred, she could admire him for trying to help someone else. Flash and Tiffany exchanged glances; they knew she was still in love with him.

“Is being a vigilante cool?” Greg asked, sitting up against the headboard. “Kind of. I can’t go visit my parents, I’d put them in danger. I can’t go out in public without looking over my shoulder. And most people see me and run the opposite direction.” “That sucks!” Greg exclaimed. “I used to have a girlfriend, but that…didn’t work. But you know, there’s one positive that makes it all worth while.” “What’s that?” “The satisfaction I get from helping people.

“I believe you.” Ekyt said. “You’ll be walking again.” Greg looked up at him, his ten-year-old eyes radiating curiosity. “Why do you think so? You’re not a doctor.” “One tough guy to another, you can handle it. I’ve got to go.” “Will you be back?” Ekyt stopped, his hand on the door. “If you like.” “Sure!” “Then I’ll be back…wait.” Ekyt looked around. His cane was collapsible. He folded it up, and handed it to the kid in the hospital bed. “To help you walk. See you later.” Greg looked at the cane fondly while Ekyt limped from the room. As soon as he was out of site, he let his shoulders slump. This was hard.

Linda walked up to him. “That was nice of you.” She said quietly. “Thanks.” After what seemed like a staring contest, Ekyt limped away. Both of them were tossing their feelings around. Difficult to say the least.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Shadowthe_hedgehog on March 26, 2007, 9:21:09 AM

Shadowthe_hedgehog on
Shadowthe_hedgehogAwesome! Great job
Ekyt's so nice!