Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 20 - Supreme Sacrifice

A dark version of the freedom fighter days. contains mild language and mildly risque scenes

Chapter 20 - Supreme Sacrifice

Chapter 20 - Supreme Sacrifice
Linda-Su slept through the night. Ekyt nodded off once or twice, but for the most part stayed awake. Linda stayed on his lap. She seemed so vulnerable, but at the same time, deadly. Ekyt pulled his coat around in a way that it covered her. It had been a great night. Linda’s simple show of affection, falling asleep cuddled on his lap, made him count his blessings. Blessing he would defend.

Knuckles was summoned to Haven by the brotherhood. Thunderhawk, Sabre, Spectre, and the real Tobor (Sabre’s son, he was replaced by an imposter in the comics –NG) sat at a brushed glass and steel table. Knuckles sat at the head of the table. “Knuckles…the time has come for you to serve us.” Knuckles cast them a weary eye. “And by that you mean.” Thunderhawk smiled and began to speak.

Kragok led his group of echidnas to the chaos chamber. The implant on Linda-Su led them right to her. “Are you sure you have the right one?” Kragok questioned the blood-red echidna. “Positive, lord Kragok. As Master Enerjak stated, the girl is the one we want. Linda-Su of the house of Dmitri.” “Good. OPEN THE CAVERNS!” Kragok shouted.

Ekyt heard the shout. “Linda, wake up.” he said urgently. She snapped awake. “They found us.” Ekyt nodded. “No matter what happens, stay behind me, and stay hidden.” He said. The door blasted open.

The Dark Legionnaires saw Ekyt studying one of the emeralds. “Can I help you?” he asked them. “Take us to the echidna that’s hiding here!” Kragok demanded. Ekyt put on a mask of confusion. “I’m the only one here. These gems are fascinating. Have you noticed.” A knife slit Ekyt’s shirt. His white guardian band was revealed. “Good work guardian. Cunning is built into your type isn’t it.” Ekyt agreed. “Yeah. Cunning.” His hand flashed out and narrowly missed Kragok, who dodged backward. “Get Him!” he yelled. The horde of echidnas rushed forward. Ekyt fought them as best he could, with knees, elbows, fists, feet, and even threw one into the cave wall. An emerald fell loose and clattered to the floor. He picked it up. The surge of power he felt was incredible. He threw echidna after echidna back. One managed to get him with a taser, 50000 volts ran through Ekyt’s body. The emerald he was holding exploded, raining small shards down on him. But it had protected him. He kicked the taser away and threw the offending echidna into a series of others. But the goons piled on, finally forcing Ekyt to the ground.

Linda-Su couldn’t take anymore. She burst from her hiding place, pulling a knife from it’s sheath in her boot. With practiced ease, she sliced the enemies, nowhere fatal. But her heart jumped in her throat when Staph confronted her. “Hello Linda.” He said, smiling. Behind his back he held a rifle that would finish her off. Ekyt stood up silently and kicked at the echidna, who brought the rifle down across his leg. Ekyt yelped in pain and twisted his ankle as he went down. Linda brought the butt-end of her knife across the echidnas skull three times.

“I can’t do that.” Knuckles said. Sabre lowered his eyes. “I know how you feel. I don’t like it anymore than you do. No matter what Thunderhawk says. But it must be done if he is ever to come back.” Knuckles banged his fist on the table. “That’s ridiculous!” “Knuckles, it’s the only way to save your father. The balance of the population is very fragile.” Knuckles sat down, defeated. “Fine.”

Ekyt leaned against the wall, bleeding and burned from the beating. Linda-Su was mostly unharmed. “We’ve got to get out of here.” She said. BAMPF! Archimedes, a fire-ant who was an advisor to the guardians appeared. “Ekyt, you’re needed in Haven.” He said somberly. “Can you get us there Arch? I’m kind of in pain, and we need a quick exit.” “Sure thing.” Archimedes said. BAMPF!

Another BAMPF! And Ekyt was in front of the Brotherhood and Knuckles. Linda-Su was with Archimedes. She was safely hidden, so Ekyt was satisfied. “You need to see me?” Ekyt asked with a small bow. Thunderhawk’s unpleasant voice greeted him. “Yes, you see, we…” “Oh, knock it off Thunderhawk. Sabre pushed the older guardian aside. “Ekyt, we did some research. Locke can be restored. But at a sacrifice. And it’s one only you can make.” Sabre was trying to remain stoic, but Ekyt’s expert eye saw emotion in his. “In echidna history, the guardian’s have all been of the distinct lineage of the House of Dmirti. Though that name shames us (Dmitri became Enerjak, an incredibly tough villain. –NG), we really have no choice.” Ekyt felt puzzled, and it must have shown, because Sabre finished with “The Brotherhood hereby relieves you of all guardian duties.”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Shadowthe_hedgehog on February 15, 2007, 9:48:44 AM

Shadowthe_hedgehog on
Shadowthe_hedgehogOOh, poor Ekyt
nice job NG