Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 16 - Out of Control

Fast-Forward 25 years. Dictorial King and a masochistic queen. The original group of Freedom Fighers are still around, but now their kids take the more active rolls, trying to save Mobius from the clutches of the Evil king. 'Takin "Future" fan chars

Chapter 16 - Out of Control

Chapter 16 - Out of Control
Note: bold is Ekyt thinking- NG



In the early days of the war, I was vital. A leader. I look at myself now and shudder. Ive become a shell of my self, the person I once knew. With the current leadership deciding to trust me less and less, and with the all the problems in the world& I cant help but wonder. Where has my vitality gone? What happened to the Ekyt of old? The one who would fight for anyone, anytime? I realize he is gone; dead and buried.



Ekyt looks out across the horizon of the battlefield, depressed by the carnage.

Sonic and Sally belong leading us. Knuckles belongs in Haven. I belong on the battlefield. A nameless pawn in a senseless war. A war that may not be winnable. A war that is a loss for both sides.



Ekyt shifted his position, and shakes his head as more lives are lost.

In a way, I feel selfish. Sitting here, brooding, while others are risking their lives. They know the importance of the war, and are willing to do whatever it takes to win it.



Ekyt got up, running a hand through his graying hair. Five oclock shadow had started grow on his still young-looking face. He moved with an unconcerned grace, like a cheetah stalking its prey. Silently, he climbed down into a shelter, looking at all the faces of those injured. Dying. No help for them. A few saluted him, recognizing him as a guardian. Not that it mattered anymore. There wasnt much to guard these days. Regardless, he had an obligation, and, depressed or not, he was going to fulfill that obligation.

In the chaos chamber, the two eager girls waited. Paula-Su, age fifteen, Ekyts daughter, questioned Lara-Su, also fifteen, Knuckles daughter, about Haven. Whats it like? she said enthusiastically. Monitors, weapons, countless rooms. The place rocks! she said grinning. Ekyt walked in silently. Well get to work in just a minute. Ekyt said vaguely. Lara nudged Paula. Hey, whats with your dad? Paula shrugged. Im not sure. Hes depressed about something. Maybe its a human thing. Lara grunted.

Ekyt looked up at the monitors. He and Knuckles had been friends for years. Now, Ekyts personal depression seemed to create a rift between them. Knuckles appeared on the monitors. Update? he said simply, his voice cold. Ekyt nodded, then proceeded. Both are developing chaos powers to rival Shadow. Knuckles smiled. That is good news. Ekyt nodded. Well, back to work. Knuckles said. Wait. Ekyt bowed his head. I need to apologize. Knuckles understood, and waved it off. These are hard times. Youre entitled to be upset. Haven out.

Paula and Lara looked at each other. Heya teach! Lara called out. Ekyt turned to face her. You and my old man thinkin clearly? Ekyt rolled his eyes. No. But things are a little better. Now, where were we?

Linda-Su met with Sally and Julie-Su. It seems you have it in for my husband. Linda said quietly. Sally nodded. I see where you might think that way. And I cant blame you. But the circumstances were dire, and I acted in the best manner possible. Each female represented a different section of the resistance. Linda-Su represented the normal soldiers, Julie-Su represented the floating island, and Sally represented Mobius. They all deferred to Sally. Normally. You see, the trouble is jailing him when hes helping the cause. Not a good thing. Linda said coldly. Julie-Su nodded in silent agreement. Hes one of ours. Consult us in controlling him next time. Sally raised an eyebrow. I know I always have to be the dog here, but someone has to be in control. And right now, the best person for that is me. No one wants this war to go on, but weve got to put personal feelings aside. Linda-Su had heard enough. Respect is something earned. She said to all of them. They all got the message.

With a yell of effort, the two girls attacked Ekyt. He defended himself, pulling his punches as the two attacked relentlessly. At the ten minute mark, they stopped, exhausted. Ekyt closed his eyes. Paula exchanged worried glances with Lara. She walked over and hugged him.

In the OSS, Kyle and Tracey (Both Shadowthe_Hedgehog) were learning fast. Kyle had taken a liking to the physical combat, while Tracey preferred the more intellectual side. Colin had become something of a mentor to Kyle, while Mitch had taken Tracey under his wing. Kurt and Tiffany (Shadowthe_hedgehog) listened proudly as Tails explained to them that the two were fitting in great.

Ekyt left the room, his coat swishing behind him, He climbed a metal ladder that led to a maintenance room. He sat down on one of the boxes that had been packed away.

I look at the two girls, and I know that they are the future. No doubt. I wonder if I should be training them. They deserve better. I have no confidence, and I dont want them to get that. They dont need it. Not when were at war. I feel like Im fighting a war on two fronts. One on the battlefield, the other in my mind.



Ekyt kicked angrily at a box, cursing silently.



I never thought I would sink this low. Im hiding away& from what? Myself? It must be. I cant call myself a man anymore. Maybe I should just give it up. Take my family into hiding. No&Paula and Linda love their work. Everything Ive done is to ensure a safe world for them. I have to follow through. I-


Ekyt looked down at the box. A pair of hover shoes and two power-ring wristbands sat on the floor. Ekyt stared stupidly at them, before realizing the potential they had. He slipped them on and raced out the door, in the middle of the battlefield.
He skated hard through the enemies, destroying them as he went by. He jumped over one, landed on another, and sprung off. At this point, the resistance from the wind pushed his arms back. Hundreds of robots destroyed in minutes. Ekyt turned and made his way back to the safety of the Freedom Fighter bunkers.

That was plenty of damage for one day.

At home that night, Ekyt lay in bed, thinking. It seemed that doing all that damage had given him a new lease on life. Linda walked into the room. Without talking, she snuggled up close to him as she crawled under the covers, exhausted. Hard day? she asked her. Nothing a good nights sleep wont cure. Damn, its cold! Ekyt knew it was, the fallout from the bombs had left a cloud of pollution, which hampered the suns effects on the entire world. She moved closer to him and slid her arms around his thin frame, her head on his chest. He still hesitated when simply hugging his wife, but he did so now. This war needed to come to an end. But for now, that was at the back of both their minds.
There would be time to fight later.

NEXT ISSUE: PAULA AND LARAS FIRST MISSION, AND KYLE AND TRACEY STAR IN: LIFE IN THE OSS! ROBOTNIK AND SHADOW FINALLY DECIDE THEIR PLAN OF ATTACK- WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR OUR FAVORITE FREEDOM FIGHTERS? FIND OUT NEXT TIME, RIGHT HERE, WHERE YOU CAN EXPECT NOTHING LESS THAN PURE CHAOS!

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on August 11, 2007, 10:49:24 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1(materialises from the shadows and mutters a happy growl) does this mean he is getting back to normal? Anyway. Great chapter. Your stories rock! Anyway. I have to split for now. I will be back for more! (with a swish of his tail vanishes into the darkness)

Shadowthe_hedgehog on February 5, 2007, 7:28:01 AM

Shadowthe_hedgehog on
Shadowthe_hedgehogAWESOME ^^
I still say your stories are way better than mine... DON'T DENY IT, YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE!!! LOL sorry, just had to do that ^-^'

nextguardian on February 5, 2007, 9:16:20 AM

nextguardian on
nextguardian(makes a face like a three-year-old) Nuh-uh! ;)

Shadowthe_hedgehog on February 5, 2007, 9:27:07 AM

Shadowthe_hedgehog on
Shadowthe_hedgehog(Does the same) Yeah huh