Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 20 - Issue 20 Special- Putting out the Fire

Fast-Forward 25 years. Dictorial King and a masochistic queen. The original group of Freedom Fighers are still around, but now their kids take the more active rolls, trying to save Mobius from the clutches of the Evil king. 'Takin "Future" fan chars

Chapter 20 - Issue 20 Special- Putting out the Fire

Chapter 20 - Issue 20 Special- Putting out the Fire
Lara-Su stopped reading the magazine she had been for the last hour. Mostly focused on one echidna dude in particular. She couldn’t really focus, as she was looking forward to meeting Rage. It would be interesting to see how Paula-Su parent’s reacted to this. When she heard them approach, she quickly sat back on her bed, trying to look like a shy, innocent girl. As if. She could probably whup him in three seconds flat.

Kyle and Tracey (Shadowthe_Hedgehog) stared in amazement at the huge room that was the operations center of the OSS. Everyone seemed so incredibly tough. Kyle grinned as he saw a weapons training area. Tracey had her head down, though her eyes shyly casted glances around. Tails and Colin walked over to the two. “You must be Kyle and Tracey. It’s good to meet you.” Tails commented. Colin spoke next. “It’s great to have you here. We need all the help we can get, and you two are perfect.” Kyle flushed with pride, while Tracey managed to look up and nod shyly. “Well, let’s introduce you to the rest of the gang.” Colin pointed. “That’s Molly, my, um, friend. That’s my brother, Mitch, the brain trust of our group. Next to him is Blush, Rouge’s daughter. You already know Amy. That’s Vector, next to him is Rouge, That’s Espio, Mighty, Charmy, and that’s Ray.” Colin finished.

Here’s a list for reference:

Founder: Ekyt

Leader 1: Colin
Leader 2: Tails

Rouge
Espio
Vector
Charmy
Ray
Mighty
Molly
Mitch
Blush
Amy Rose


“Lara, this is Rage. Rage, this is Lara-Su, Knuckles daughter.” Rage nodded and mumbled “Nice to meet you.” Paula gave Lara a look that plainly said “be nice… or else.” Lara got up and extended her hand. “It’s nice to meet you two. Where are you two headed?” she asked amiably. “We’re off to meet my parents. You wanna come?” Paula asked, her eyes pleading. “Sure, why not?” Lara answered.

Ekyt sat in the darkened room, eyes closed. With a sigh, he gave up. That meditation stuff hadn’t worked for him years ago, why did he think it would work now. He decided to get up and walk for a while, just to do something. He had been barred from active duty by Knuckles after his attack on Shadow. Whatever. His heart just wasn’t into this stuff. He had been the decided loser in the fight, and it ate him alive. He wouldn’t get a chance for a rematch; that much he knew. And a part of him agreed. As he got up, Linda-Su walked in, a strange expression on her face. “Paula wants us to meet her boyfriend.” It was almost a question. Ekyt had almost forgotten. “Yeah. I tried to give her the politics talk, and she turned around and threw it in my face, in her own inimitable way.” Ekyt smiled fondly. “She’s your daughter.” He said. Linda gave him a playful smack. “Sure. I’m just as powerful, so you watch yourself.” She said with her eyebrows raised. “Let’s go meet this guy.”

Rage stood silently next to Paula. Her parents were apparently a big deal around here. He understood her father was a guardian, but not a popular one, and that her mother was just as powerful, but well liked. It wasn’t his place to judge. Ekyt walked in, holding the door for Linda. Rage’s wings suddenly shook. He knew Ekyt. Ekyt looked up and his eyes conveyed the same message. “Rage, it’s been a while.” Ekyt commented to the bat/echidna. “How are you?” Rage didn’t answer. Paula and Lara exchanged glances. “Wait, wait, wait. Hold on. You two know each other?!” Paula exclaimed. Ekyt nodded, as did Rage. “It’s been a few monthes. Rage was one of those rescued in the big raid on Shadow’s prison.” (In the first few issues of this series –NG) Rage smiled slightly. “I never did thank you for the help.” He said in a voice that seemed to deep for his age. “Not a problem. I was probably unconscious.” Ekyt said with a wave of his hand, as though discussing the weather. Lara and Paula laughed. “I should have known! That’s when I met him!” Linda extended a greeting as well, thinking that this wasn’t as bad as it could have been. She knew Paula was like her father in some ways, and she was half expecting her to bring home a human.

After all that was discussed, it was time for training again. The enormous set of monitors that were in the training center were on, Knuckles grim face on the screen. “Ekyt, we need to talk. There’s been a mistake.” Ekyt didn’t like his tone of voice. “I can be there in two minutes. Just let me get the girls started.” Knuckles shook his head. “They’re needed too.” He said somberly. Ekyt didn’t like that either. “Okay, we’ll be there in about 30 seconds.” The monitors shut off. “Chaos Control.” Ekyt said without enthusiasm. Lara and Paula followed suit, wondering just what was going on…

Ekyt met Knuckles and the two shook hands. Ekyt felt no anger toward Knuckles, who was only doing what he was told. “Girls, would you give us a few minutes? I need to speak with Ekyt privately.” Lara and Paula didn’t crack any jokes, they left quickly and quietly, leaving Knuckles to talk with Ekyt.

“…I’m sorry Ekyt. I really don’t know what to say.” Knuckles said, his one good eye searching the stoic human before him. “No need to say anything more Knuckles. You’re only doing what you’re forced to do.” Ekyt said, trying to keep some life in his voice. “All I ask is you let me be the one to tell my daughter.” Ekyt said, head bowed. Knuckles agreed. “I’m Really sorry old friend.” He said after a moment’s silence. Ekyt nodded his head slowly. “As am I. Keep in touch.”

Outside, Paula and Lara sat quietly. The door opened and their father’s came out. Putting an arm around her, Ekyt steered his daughter away. “Honey, they think the time has come for you to assume the mantle of guardian.” Ekyt said straight out. Paula searched her father’s eyes. “There’s something you’re not telling me Dad. I’m a big girl, I can take it.” “I know you can, and here it is: As of now, I’ve been…retired from guardian duty.” Paula let a small breath escape her lips. “But why? You haven’t done anything!” “I know. It appears that a mistake was made by the brotherhood. And you’re the chosen one. Ordinarily, they would tell you once you turned sixteen (Paula will turn sixteen in two months.) But because of the war, you’re needed.” “But what about you?” Paula asked Ekyt. “No worries. I can still fight. As long as I can do that, they’ll keep me around.” Ekyt said, trying to lighten the mood. Paula didn’t buy it. “Dad…” “There’s no point in arguing. I can always go back to the OSS. And, to be honest, I couldn’t be more proud of you.” He said, beaming. His words left Paula taken aback. “I had always hoped you would choose a more wise path than I did. And you’ve done everything right.”

Paula gave her father a hug. He returned the embrace, giving away no emotions. “There’s just one more thing…” He said. He reached down his shirt onto his own chest and pulled off the white stripe that had signified his position. He held onto if for a brief moment, before handing it to her, with a bow. She took it, her hand trembling. She was wondering why her tough-as-nails father was just letting it go. As if by magic, he answered her. “I might have fought this harder, if I wasn’t so sure you were ready. And if you weren’t my daughter.” The stripe was on her now. Ekyt turned to thank Knuckles and Lara-Su, and then left. “What about my training?” Paula called out. “You’ll have to talk to Knuckles. I’m not allowed to know this stuff anymore.” Ekyt didn’t want to leave her, but he wasn’t given a choice in the matter. Knuckles walked out with him.

“You know, you could appeal this.” Knuckles said. “No point Knux. They’re working against me.” “So their prediction was wrong, big deal. So you weren’t the “chosen one,” you still have done good work.” “That’s not how they see it.” Ekyt replied. “You’ve been a model guardian. You’re just going to let it go without a fight?” Knuckles intoned. “Yes. My daughter is getting the position, and I couldn’t be more proud.” Ekyt replied sternly, ending the conversation. Knuckles shook his head. “Well, it’s been twenty-five good years…” “Yeah. Thanks for everything.” Ekyt said. “You too pal.”

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on August 15, 2007, 6:28:26 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1(ears drooping sits back on haunches and howls in sorrow) They can't make Ekyt give up his position! (growls angrily and snarls in non acceptance) I know it's going to his daughter and is a thing to be proud of but I just can't and won't accept it. And that's final! (grudgingly slinks off to next chapter growling and muttering under breath)

Flashthehedgehog on March 9, 2007, 1:41:35 AM

Flashthehedgehog on
FlashthehedgehogAwesome chapter

Shadowthe_hedgehog on February 27, 2007, 6:35:37 AM

Shadowthe_hedgehog on
Shadowthe_hedgehogAwesome ^^ great job NG