Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 21 - hellfire and pain

Fast-Forward 25 years. Dictorial King and a masochistic queen. The original group of Freedom Fighers are still around, but now their kids take the more active rolls, trying to save Mobius from the clutches of the Evil king. 'Takin "Future" fan chars

Chapter 21 - hellfire and pain

Chapter 21 - hellfire and pain
Accounts varied over the next few weeks. Several people, all of whom hated Ekyt, claimed he had been killed by Shadow. Others claimed this was a hoax. The only ones who knew for sure were Ekyt and his family. And even his family couldn’t be sure. For three weeks, a gaunt looking man replaced the Ekyt of old. Silently, he went about his business. Anyone who questioned his motives earned a hard look, but nothing more. “He’s lost his nerve.” Some said. “It’s a trick.” Said others. Elsewhere, other’s were wondering.

Aurora, Athair, and Locke discussed what had happened. “How is it that we overlooked such a grave matter?” Locke asked. “Grandson, even the most impregnable fortress has it’s weak points. Perhaps we were blinded by his loyalty.” It was no secret Athair was displeased that Ekyt had been removed swiftly and unjustly. Aurora too held a soft spot for him. “He took death upright for our cause. We had no right to ask anymore of him. And now this is how his loyalty is repaid…” Locke stroked his chin thoughtfully. “I think we need to watch. Perhaps some damage has been done…” “Of course there has! He’s just had his world rocked!” Aurora exclaimed. “But he didn’t appeal.” Locke’s answer was part statement, part question. Athair shook his head sagely. “No. Perhaps because his replacement was his daughter.”

Shadow sipped at his wine thoughtfully. “Hmm…What do you make of this Lien-Da?” Lien-Da peered at the screen and snickered in delight. “Something knocked that kid down.” Shadow pointed. “Hmm…I know that look…he has forsaken something dear to him…but what?” Lien-Da looked closer. “Merits investigation.” She said. Shadow smiled. “Indeed it does. Shall I leave it to you?” “Please do.” She said with a joking bow. Shadow’s smile grew more broad. “I’ll dispose of that annoying triumvirate. Sonic, Knuckles, and Ekyt…something’s happened to the resistance. I must remember who and congratulate them.”

Ekyt had all but disappeared again. When he came back, his mask was on his face. Through the holes for his eyes, pain radiated from his eyes. He wore all black now. Those that questioned him were often startled, as he would be there, staring. He would say “Rather than consider my loyalty, where does yours lie?” He would whisper it with such ferocity it gave them shivers.

Paula-Su had been well-received as guardian. And her father seemed genuinely proud of her, even though it meant a loss for him. She and Lara-Su still trained together. No one said anything about her suddenly being in charge, other than “congratulations.” She guessed they were showing approval.

Linda-Su was greeted by the sight of Knuckles one night. “May I speak to your husband, Linda?” Linda nodded tersely. “It wasn’t my decision Linda.” Knuckles said evenly. “I know. It’s not you.” Knuckles raised an eyebrow. “What, has Ekyt met with Shadow again?” Linda shook her head. “No, but…” she stopped as he appeared from seemingly nowhere. “How can I help guardian?” Ekyt’s voice was distorted slightly by the mask. And it was without emotion. “I’ve got a meeting tonight, and I need security.” Knuckles waited for the enthusiastic reply. None came. “If that’s where I’m needed.” Knuckles raised an eyebrow again. “Are you okay?” Ekyt took off the mask. “I’m fine. Just a little tired.” That made sense to Knuckles. “Let’s go then.” “Is my daughter involved?” “No, this is just you, me, Shadow, and Lien-Da…are you sure you’re okay?” “I’m fine. Let’s go.”

Tiffany (Shadowthe_Hedgehog) and Kurt watched proudly as Kyle and Tracey (Shadowthe_Hedgehog) excelled at their training. “They’ve got their first mission.” Colin informed the two. “When?” Kurt asked, slightly alarmed. “Tonight.” “What? You can’t be serious Colin!” Tiffany exclaimed. “I’m afraid I am. And it’s a matter of some delicacy, so it’s best if Kyle and Tracey are involved…I’m afraid it concerns Ekyt.” Kurt and Tiffany exchanged glances. Colin, one of the youngest of the group, looked older as he rubbed the bridge of his nose. “It seems there’s concern over his behavior the past few weeks. I can’t go into detail, because I don’t know any. But we’re hoping that if something is going wrong, the sight of his grandkids will act as damage control.”

Knuckles approached the sight of the meeting. It was to discuss terms for the Dark Legion to leave the island. There as little hope for the matter to be resolved, but it was worth a shot. Silently, Ekyt traveled next to him. Knuckles knew something was going on. But Ekyt had been okay with Paula becoming guardian…So what WAS going on?

Shadow and Lien-Da arrived at the site. “Let’s cut to the chase. What will it take for you to leave the island?” Knuckles asked immediately. “You’d have to explain what I have to gain from leaving.” Shadow replied. “I’ll remove my foot from your @$$.” Knuckles responded. “Sarcasm doesn’t become you guardian.” Lien-Da said, a mischievous tone in her voice. “Nor does it become you.” Ekyt was standing beside her, and he whispered his words. She jumped backward. “What the hell happened to you?” Shadow looked closer. “Two guardians? Almost a match for me.” Shadow said calmly. He grabbed Ekyt by his shirt. “Don’t do that to her. Do you understand?” Ekyt’s shirt ripped, revealing that his band, which signified he was a guardian, was gone. Ekyt grabbed Shadow’s wrist and pulled it off, staring back at Shadow. “You disgraced yourself so greatly that your own kind betrayed you?” Shadow meant the comment as a joke. “You could say that.” Shadow was taken aback by Ekyt’s answer. “You know your group is not the only one around.” Ekyt nodded.

“I’ve thought to myself more than once that I was playing for the wrong side. Maybe it’s time for us to bury the hatchet Shadow.” Shadow smiled and extended his hand…

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on August 15, 2007, 6:47:07 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1(howls in frustrated anticipation) You always do this! (snaps jaws in mock annoyance) you just love making us not know what's going to happen! (sighs and sniffs) Oh well! I guess i could always just in to the next chapter. Oh and Ekyt better not be doing what I think he is! (disappears with a swish of tail)

Flashthehedgehog on March 9, 2007, 1:52:44 AM

Flashthehedgehog on
FlashthehedgehogAh mega suspense and just ah so cool!

Shadowthe_hedgehog on February 27, 2007, 6:36:20 AM

Shadowthe_hedgehog on
Shadowthe_hedgehogSweet ^^ can't wait to read the next chapter ^^