Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Za suriru ichi nao satsu

Your favorite pack of lovable, hard-headed ninjas in a new adventure!

Chapter 5 - Za suriru ichi nao satsu

Chapter 5 - Za suriru ichi nao satsu
“So the Sharingan is unique to the Uchiha bloodline. Would that make it…What’s that term? Gennko Oraki?” Ekyt read. Sakura giggled at the name. “You’re close. “Kekkei genkai”. And you’re right, the exception being Kakashi-sensei.” “Which indicates that Sharingan can be transplanted.” Ekyt finished. “Right! Great job! I can’t believe how fast you’re getting this!” Ekyt’s only visible feature, his eye, seemed to smile in pleasure at the compliment. “Well, if something’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right. For example, I could have had Naruto tutor me…” Sakura laughed. “Yeah right! The only thing you’d learn is every kind of ramen known to man, and how to annoy me!” Ekyt laughed, but looked back down at a scroll. “So, there’s Taijutsu, genjutsu, ninjutsu, healing jutsu, sealing jutsu…My old martial arts would be Taijutsu, and my Dragon ember would be ninjutsu. But what puzzles me is how I learned it. Kakashi-sensei said that jutsu’s are unique to each person, and he had one in mind, but that it would be come mine…I don’t understand how that works.” Sakura couldn’t help but smile. “It’s kind of a mystery, like it’s something you’re born with, but it’ll only awaken when your life is in danger.” “I’ve been in danger plenty of times…Ah, forget it, I’m just giving myself a headache. Right now, whatever I don’t need for that test tomorrow is surplus. I hear the proctor is difficult. Fair, but difficult.” “Oh? Who do you have?” “Anko Mitarashi.” Sakura winced. “She’ll be tough on cheaters. But you’ve got all this down, you’ll do fine!” She said, smiling.

Naruto suddenly barged in, finger arcing towards Ekyt. “I know what you’re up to! I KNEW you couldn’t be trusted!” Ekyt looked back at Naruto. “What, exactly, are you talking about?” “THIS!” Naruto held up a now-familiar orange book. Ekyt blushed. “You’re trying to seduce Sakura! Well, you should know that she’s got her sights set on Sasuke, and” “SHUT UP YOU IDIOT!” Sakura snatched the book away. “I TRICKED HIM INTO BUYING THIS! DON’T YOU EVER THINK BEFORE YOU BLURT OUT THE FIRST THING ON YOUR MIND?!” Naruto chanced a glance at Ekyt, who, from what Naruto could tell without seeing his mouth, was laughing. “This is the first time I’ve laughed since before my birthday!” Ekyt blurted out, then had an unmistakable “oh crap” look on his face. “When was your birthday?” Sakura asked. “I don’t wanna say.” Ekyt said. “Naruto…” Naruto darted forward. “August 25th.” Ekyt muttered. “That was only four days ago! Why didn’t you say anything?!” Sakura exclaimed. “I didn’t want anyone to make a big deal, it’s nothing. Besides, I had just lost…my…eye.” Naruto grinned suddenly, arm behind his head, obviously embarrassed. “Uh, happy birthday. I’m, uh, sorry about accusing you of being a perv and all…uh…I know! My centerfold jutsu would cheer you up!” “WHO’S THE PERV?! BACK OFF, PIG!” Sakura yelled.

“Welcome. I am Anko Mitarashi, this exam’s proctor. You, in the back. Don’t make me kick you out before the test starts.” An uneasiness was sensed through the entire exam hall. “The first portion will be written, the second a physical test of your abilities. No questions? Good. Wait…I need to see the three new students up here.” Ekyt, Linda, and Kayla got up. Linda and Kayla looked nervous. Ekyt was nervous, but was determined not to show it.

“Your names?” Anko almost barked. “Linda Mawashi.” “Kayla Donalds.” “Ekyt.” “Ekyt? Any surname?” “No sensei.” “Hmph. Alright. Since you three are new, you will not have to take part in the physical part of the examination, therefore you will be excused from class tomorrow.” The girls looked relieved but Ekyt put up his hand. “If I may, I would like to take the test, please.” Anko looked at him, grinning slightly. “Brave one, are we? I’ll give you credit for having guts. You’re likely to get killed, I’m not gonna lie.” “Only one way to find out.” Ekyt said, guessing (correctly) that Anko might be impressed. “Alright. I’ll have your name submitted. For now, return to your seats.” As soon as she left, Kayla and Linda grabbed him at the same time. “Have you lost your mind? You heard her, you could die!” “I could die without the training too. Besides, don’t worry about me. You know I’m a little harder to kill than I look.”

“Put your pencils down.” Anko barked. “Good. You are excused. I will have your tests graded and returned to you and the physical portion of the test.” Anko watched all the students file out. She spotted the new guy walking out, the two girls tailing him obvsiouly berating him for wanting to take part in the exam. “Ekyt huh? Well, well, he’ll be one to watch someday. If he survives that test. Let’s just see what his paper looks like… Ekyt!” He came back up to the front of the hall. “Stay put for a minute, your entourage can stay too. Let me ask this: What’s with your eye?” She had heard the stories, but rumors spread like wildfire, and often times they were just as destructive. “We were attacked on the trip here. That…demon kid…Gaara of the Desert, he used an attack. I didn’t know how to use chakra and jutsus at the time, so I had to do something else.” That was explanation enough for Anko. She had been absently checking his paper. “Huh?” the sound of surprise escaped her lips unconsciously. Then she smiled, eyes half-lidded, giving her an air of “impressed-but-not-willing-to-admit-it.” Though she did just that. “Well, it looks like you’ve got yourself a ten out of ten.”

“Ekyt, want to come with us? We’re going to explore town.” Kayla called. She sighed, seeing Ekyt crouch over more scrolls. “You go ahead. I’m gonna study for class.” Kayla slapped her forehead in exasperation. “Ekyt, you haven’t done anything that isn’t training since you got here. Don’t you ever relax?” Linda protested. Ekyt shrugged. “I AM relaxing.” He answered. “Kayla, you go ahead, I’ll catch up.” Kayla sensed trouble brewing, so she left with a curt nod. “Ekyt…look, there are no hard feelings, right?” she asked, a note of desperation in her voice. “Everything’s fine. I don’t like being the weak link, that’s all. Lee’s already talked with me. Everything’s cool.” “Are you sure? You just haven’t been yourself…” Ekyt straightened his headband. “Between Chakaro and my eye, I don’t FEEL like myself. Give me time, I’ll come around.” Ekyt didn’t mean the last part, but thought it might get him some peace. I’m not coming around, there’s nothing wrong. This is who I am, and the sooner I learn to live with that fact, the better.

Ekyt stepped outside for the thirty seconds he allowed himself for each hour of studying. He was met by Sasuke. “Kakashi-Sensei wants to see you, he says it’s urgent. He wants you to bring that scroll of yours, and that orange book.” Ekyt felt his cheeks go slightly red at the mention of “that orange book.” That had to mean “Makeout Paradise.” “I haven’t read the orange book yet.” Ekyt said quickly. Sasuke grinned slightly. “I’m sure you haven’t. Either way, follow me.”

Kakashi didn’t seem to notice Ekyt and Sasuke come in. “Kakashi-Sensei?” Sakura gave him a gentle shake. Still no reaction. “HEY! KAKASHI-SENSEI! WAKE-UP!” Naruto yelled. Kakashi looked up. “Oh, you’re here. Good.” He put the put away carefully. Sakura suppressed a giggle, thinking of before. “I called you hear for a great and terrible reason…” Kakashi began. “How did the test go?!” he said brightly. Naruto groaned. (I thought we might have a mission, silly me! We’re glorified maintenance men!) Ekyt had forgotten about it. “Oh, sorry, here.” He handed the paper to Kakashi, but Sakura snatched it up. “Wow! I knew you could do it!” Sakura said, handing the paper to Kakashi. “I had a good tutor. Thank you Sakura.” He returned, thankfully. Sakura smiled, cheeks reddening in embarrassment. “This is very good. Now, my next question…”

“I’m glad you could meet us on such short notice Lee.” Linda said, looking around, as if worried someone might overhear. “It is my pleasure Linda. How can I be of assistance?” Kayla groaned mockingly. “What a charmer you found Linda.” Linda ignored the remark. “Do you see anything…different…about Ekyt?” She asked, cutting to the chase. “His skills have improved incredibly quick. But to answer the question you are getting at, he is fine with me, there is no grudge.” Linda breathed a sigh of relief. “I’m sorry Lee. I’m not interested in him, but he’s still my friend, I worry for him. I’m sorry for questioning you like this.” She hugged Lee, who took a moment before remembering he needed to hug back.

“My next question is this: WHY do you plan on participating in the physical exams, even with a high likelihood of injury, or death?” Sasuke perked up a little bit; this sounded all too familiar to him. “I don’t see the possibility of saying no to a mission. It’s also a good chance to see where my skills are in terms of the others.” Kakashi leaned forward, reaching for his hatai ate, but stopped and leaned back. “I hope you don’t mind if I bring the cheering section. And I’d guess that your team wants to be there.” Kakashi handed him a small scroll. “The exam is tomorrow. Your opponent will be decided tomorrow. Do you have any questions?” Ekyt shook his head. “Good luck then.”

“Sound familiar Kakashi?” Kakashi was clearly grinning behind his mask. “I’m an avenger.” Sasuke said, but returned the grin, understanding the reference. Naruto had his hands on his head, shaking it in disbelief. “TWO of you? TWO Sasuke’s? Nooo! Oh man, we’re doomed! Sakura is in her glory, but we’re doomed!” “Shut up Naruto.” Sakura said, amused with him. And, she realized, the comparison. Two Sasukes? Not a bad idea! Cha!

The day of the exam, in a surprise, Sasuke was Ekyt’s floor coach, of sorts. “Ekyt will face Kocihiro Gaminate in round one. Will the two combatants please step forward!” Ekyt did, with Sasuke next to him. On the other side of the giant cement room, a tall, but somewhat heavyset, boy stepped forward. He had a white bandage wrapped around his face, and was wearing a matching white gi. “Bow to each other.” They did. The proctor, Anko, smiled sardonically. “Begin!”

Kakashi, Sakura, Linda, and Kayla found their seats. “Hey, where’s Naruto?” Sakura asked. “He went to get something to eat.” Kayla said. She was gazing intently at the floor. “I can’t believe he’s going through with this!” Linda muttered. Lee showed up, standing behind her. “He is talented. Even so, this may be too strong a test for him.” Lee said, doing nothing to ease their worries. Kakashi seemed to be the only one unconcerned. “He’s a capable fighter. Asuma and Guy are on the floor, watching, and Anko’s proctoring. I doubt there’s a safer place in the world than here.” Linda was reassured somewhat, but then Anko’s words floated through her head. You’re likely to get killed…

As soon as the match began, Kocihiro drew a sword. Ekyt was forced to leap backward to avoid his first strike. “Ekyt! He’s got a weapon, think of his weak point!” Sasuke called, not wanting to be too obvious. Obviously not Taijutsu…genjutsu would be useless…leaving fighting fire with fire…after a couple tricks of my own… The crowd was cheering for Ekyt, much to his surprise. He leapt back, going through a hand seal in his head. The sword swung down, cleaving him in the head. The crowd gasped and stood up. Sasuke leaned forward, intently for him. He grinned. “So that’s his plan…”

Kocihiro pulled at his sword, but found it stuck in the corpse…corpse? “That’s a log! Find him Kocihiro!” the bigger man’s coach yelled. Kocihiro left the sword where it was, since it was in too far to pull out without more time and effort than he could spare. “Where are ya, ya little punk?!” he yelled.

Ekyt made hand seals, hanging by his legs from the rafters. “Deominc Illsuion: False Surroundings Technique.” He whispered.

“I’m right here!” Ekyt said. “Or am I here?” “Or Here?” “Maybe here?” Kocihiro was surrounded by Ekyts. “I’ll just bash all of you, one of ya has to be real!” Ekyt dropped from the rafters. The illusions suddenly punched as one. Kocihiro ducked.

“What is he doing?” Linda asked. “Genjutsu, an illusions. Ekyt must have used the “false surroundings” technique. Good choice, since he’s unarmed. The illusions look and feel very real to the receiver, but are unseen by anyone else.” Kakashi’s explanation gave Kayla and Linda reason to believe. Lee made a small sound of admiration.

Ekyt’s foot suddenly slashed up, hitting four rapid-fire kicks. He hooked his opponent around the waist and neck. “Konoha Backward Snap Dragon!” Ekyt leapt into the air, flipping backwards, hodling his opponent below him. From an incredible height, they both crashed into the ground. Ekyt got up and leapt backward, keeping his guard up. Anko looked at Kocihiro. She signaled the end of the match. “Winner: Ekyt.” There was a stunned silence, then cheers. Everyone loves the underdog. Ekyt didn’t let Sasuke pull him away yet. He went over to his opponent, who was clearly in pain. “You alright?” Ekyt asked, and offered his hand. Kocihiro knocked it away. Ekyt shrugged and walked back to Sasuke and…Naruto? “Whoa, way to go! Man, you ripped that big idiot to shreds!” Sasuke even gave a rare grin. “Good choice. You must be more powerful than you seem…We’ll have to have a match someday.”

Linda, Lee, Kakashi, Guy, Asuma, Kayla, and Sakura were waiting for an exhausted Ekyt when he walked out. “That was very good. Where did you learn that jutsu?” Ekyt shrugged. “From studying.” Ekyt replaced his toothpick, looking worn out for the first time. “I must’ve burned through my chakra and stamina. Probably nerves.” Ekyt muttered. “Hold up!” Anko strode toward Ekyt, a small scroll in her hands. “Congratulations on winning your match. Very innovative. You’ll have two more matches tomorrow, one against an academy student, and one against a more experienced student. Unless you wish to back out now.” Somehow, Anko knew Ekyt’s answer. “I’ll be there.” “Ekyt, I need to speak with you.” Kakashi nodded him over.

He and Sakura were standing near a wall. Kakashi looked at her, as though he could read her very soul. “Ordinarily, I would advise against this, but I think you can handle it.” “What’s that Kakashi-Sensei?” “I want you, Sakura, Sasuke, and Naruto to talk strategy. Right now, you’re light years ahead of your team. And they are proud of you.” Sakura excused herself suddenly. Kakashi watcher her go. “You know, I think Sakura’s taking a liking to you.” Ekyt shrugged. “Sakura’s easy to get along with.” Kakashi grinned, and decided to continue the joke Sakura had started earlier: “If you study this as hard as you study those scrolls, I think you’ll be more successful.” Kakashi handed him the orange book again. Make-Out Paradise. “Kakashi-sensei?” “Yes?” Kakashi had his eye closed, grinning, proud of himself. “Get your mind out of the gutter.” He said.

“Well, that was an interesting mix of techniques.” Asuma lit a cigarette up, exhaling a big puff of smoke. “That Taijutsu he’s been working with Lee won the match.” Guy added. “He’s learning a lot about his chakra.” Asuma said. “I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried.” Asuma continued. “I am too.” Kakashi announced. Guy hadn’t spent as much time with Ekyt, so he didn’t immediately understand. “What are you talking about, what’s there to worry about?” Kakashi answered his question: “Ekyt’s team isn’t as close as they were when they first arrived. Linda and Ekyt were close once. Ekyt genuinely doesn’t seem to mind her dating someone else. But I think he’s starting to question himself.” Asuma leaned forward, lowering his voice. “He’s not aware of” Kakashi shook his head. “No. He’s so self-conscious about his emotions, he hasn’t realized that emotion yet.”

“Hey, Sakura!” Linda ran to catch up with Sakura. “Oh, Linda, hi!” “You’ve got feelings for Ekyt, don’t you?” Linda got right to the point. “I hardly know him!” “So do I. He’s got that charm, doesn’t he? That air of mystery…and he reminds you of Sasuke.” Linda helpfully pointed out. “He’s a friend, Linda. Besides, I could ask you about Lee.” “Go ahead, I’ve got nothing to hide. Look, I just don’t want to see him hurt again…I feel bad enough I burned him, I’m worried about anyone else playing with his emotions.” “WHO’S playing? I haven’t done anything, except help him study!” Sakura protested. Both girls were laughing after that. “If you do go after him…Just make sure that YOU are sure.” Linda said, a request as much as a statement.

NEXT ISSUE: EKYT HAS TWO MORE FIGHTS! IS HE LUCKY ENOUGH, AND SKILLED ENOUGH, TO WIN BOTH? AND THE TEAM’S REACTION TO EKYT!

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on September 19, 2007, 7:11:41 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Sweet chapter. Complicated but forward. Great job. Wow Ekyt is learning fast! His taijutsu is as good as mine. Lol. Now if only the others were real for meet to learn as fast as him. Lol. Wow. He is going to be unstopable bedford long!