Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Saying Goodbye

Your favorite pack of lovable, hard-headed ninjas in a new adventure!

Chapter 7 - Saying Goodbye

Chapter 7 - Saying Goodbye
Ekyt tossed a towel over his shoulder. “You can do this! Believe it! That big punk is just a noodle in the giant ramen bowl of life! So eat him up!” “…Right.” Ekyt said, worried. This wasn’t going to be an ordinary fight. He couldn’t rely on wearing his opponent down like before, unless he did it quick. A tie, even a loss, for someone with his rank would be perfectly acceptable.

But not to him. I’ve come really far in a short period of time…but it’s not enough. I’ve met so many Gaara’s and Chakaro’s…to fight just for payback would be wrong. Not a bad motivator though. I’ve got a lot of people to prove wrong…And some people to prove myself too…But what about my team? It’s already becoming obvious…We’re drifting apart…am I ready for that? Linda is dating Lee, and Kayla’s chasing after Shikamaru. It used to be some much easier, back when I had to live with Linda rejecting me…Now, I’ve got friends, but I’m still the lone wolf somehow…how does that work?! I almost wish everything was easy again…then again, when have I ever done things the easy way? That’s who I am…stupid!

It was time to go. “Last request kid?” Asuma’s friendly voice joked. He was holding a cigarette and a blindfold, referencing an execution. Ekyt grinned at the humor, behind his mask anyway. He flicked his toothpick away. “Just remember, when your tricks fail, taijutsu will always be there.” Guy offered. “I want to wish you the best of luck.” Lee said. Linda nodded, putting a supportive hand on his shoulder, but saying nothing. “Go get ‘em teach!” Kayla told him, clapping him on the back. “This is your fight, you can do it! Even if you can’t, oh well. Just keep your options open. And seriously, reconsider the friendship with billboard brow.” Ino said, striking a pose. Sakura elbowed Ino out of the way. “Don’t listen to her. You’re gonna win.” She offered him a smile. “Good luck.” Sasuke muttered. Kakashi was the last one in line. “I’ve got some great news for you…after the test. For now, just this: Don’t be afraid to fight fire with water.”

Naruto followed Ekyt out onto the floor. “You know Naruto…I think we’re both going to tear our pasts to shreds someday.” Naruto looked puzzled for a moment, then smiled broadly in agreement. Holding out his fist, he and Ekyt hit fists. “Believe it!”

Akira was a short, slender ninja. His black jumpsuit lent well to his style. With a short crop of brillo-pad black hair on his head, cut into a severe crew cut, and long legs, he wasn’t as easy to beat as he looked. Ekyt didn’t judge looks. How could he? He looked one giant bruise at this point.

“Twenty minute time limit. Begin- NOW!” Ekyt had thought about his strategy. He changed it after hearing Kakashi’s words. “Don’t be afraid to fight fire with water.” Ekyt leapt backward as soon as the fight began, throwing a series of knives. As he expected, Akira retaliated. But he used a jutsu.

“Flower Technique: The District End!” A beam of…flower petals? Ekyt knew there had to be more to the jutsu than this. Sure enough, darkness started to set in. Ekyt couldn’t see, but he could hear. And he heard Akira running. From several directions? Clones…what do you do about them? You can’t use a huge amount of chakra yet… “Substitution Jutsu!” he whispered. A bag full of rocks took Ekyt’s place. He himself jumped up, clinging to the rafters. As he thought, he could see the action from up here. Four clones, plus the real deal, ran into the center of the fading darkness, hammering away on the bag of rocks. They quickly realized that it wasn’t Ekyt they were hitting. Kunai suddenly flew near Ekyt, who was forced to leap down. Akira had gotten rid of his clones, hoping to save chakra. Good idea at this point…thankfully, jumping around like this uses a negligible amount of chakra…Ekyt thought, while free-falling.

Ekyt hit the floor. “Pretty good move!” Akira called. “Likewise!” Ekyt returned the greeting. “Disguise Jutsu.” Ekyt whispered, making the hand seals under his shirt. He disappeared, putting himself up against the wall, unmoving. “Where’d you go?” Akira couldn’t find Ekyt. “Clone jutsu.” Ekyt said quietly. A clone of him sailed down from the rafters. Akira heard the sound of rushing air, but too late. “Ekyt’s” foot slashed down, hitting the narrow ninja in the chest, driving him backward. Ekyt shed his Disguise jutsu as his clone delivered a series of punishing kicks, before grappling with Akira and lifting him into the air. Ekyt got a running start and leapt, grabbing the slender ninja around the waist and neck, just as his clone had done. “Konoha Backward Snap Dragon!” They called as one. Lifting Akira high, they both drove him into the ground.

“That had to have done it! Taijutsu never fails!” Guy yelled, striking his trademark “thumbs-up” pose. “Well done Ekyt!” Lee called. “That’s the ticket kid!” Linda shouted. Ekyt dragged himself to his feet, exhausted, the bandages on his hands torn and unraveling, his cut from Chakaro’s defection bleeding. He kept his eyes on his opponent. “Neat trick. But I can use substitution too.” Akira said from behind Ekyt. Ekyt saw he had just split a log with his best taijutsu technique. He swung a backhand fist at Akira. Akira ducked and landed a hard knee to the midsection. Drawing his kunai, Akira made a cut. Ekyt dodged backwards, but felt his chest start to bleed. “Nice!” Ekyt called, grinning. “FIVE MINUTES LEFT! FIVE MINUTES!” Anko’s magnified voice carried to the two combatants.

“He should take the tie, and just try to last.” Linda said. “That’s not his style. Besides, missions don’t have “ties.” Sasuke reminded her. No one else said anything, they were too intent on watching the two exhausted warriors go at it.

Ekyt and Akira circled, closing in on each other. Finally, they were in grappling range. Both lunged. Ekyt pulled back and shot in for a single leg take-down. That was thwarted with a spinning kick from Akira. The kick missed Ekyt and gave him an opportunity for a sweep kick. Akira dodged just out of his range. He stomped at Ekyt, who rolled forward. Akira hadn’t been expecting a forward roll. Ekyt rolled right up onto his feet and pushed, driving Akira into a wall. Akira grabbed Ekyt’s head and ran up the wall slightly, then leapt backward, trying to drive Ekyt’s head down. Ekyt back-flipped and used his legs to push away, flipping Akira over. They both landed on their feet and continued the assault. Akira summoned up the last reserves of his chakra. “THIRTY SECONDS!”

“MILLION FLOWER PETALS BLOSSOMING JUTSU!” he yelled. A million, razor-sharp rose petals descended, falling toward Ekyt. Using the last of his chakra as well, Ekyt used two well-placed jutsus: “Clone Jutsu” and “Dragon Ember Jutsu!” He and two clones used the Dragon Ember Jutsu, setting the petals on fire. Using his chakra, Ekyt maneuvered them toward Akira, who had never had his best technique reversed. What felt like dozens of flaming needles struck his skin, turning his skin a charcoal color.

“Go for it! You’ve gotta strike now!” Naruto was yelling. “TEN SECONDS!” Anko’s voice called. Ekyt and Akira were both on their feet. As one, they rushed forward. Ekyt swept low, while Akira jumped high. Ekyt extended his leg upward, hoping to land a strike to the chin. “TIME!” Everything seemed to freeze. Ekyt’s leg was an inch from it’s target. They were both still standing. Both had cuts, and both were breathing heavily. Ekyt and Akira bowed to each other and stepped toward their teams.

“This match is a draw.” Anko announced. The crowd was too impressed to care that they hated ties. For Academy Students, this had been incredible.

Ekyt kept his face neutral, but it took effort. He wasn’t happy with himself. He knew it had been an excellent match, and he had no right to expect more from himself. But he knew Chakaro was training as hard as he was, probably matching him move for move in terms of training.

“That was incredible! I’ve never seen any pre-genin do anything like this! You and that Akira guy have gotta have another match sometime!” Choji exclaimed around the remnants of the chips in his mouth. “It was indeed a spectacular effort. If you would like to do so, perhaps we could work on your taijutsu, which is already genin level.” Lee offered. “I thought you had him at the Backward Snap Dragon, great effort! Looks like your stamina held up just fine!” Guy said. “Nice use of your chakra.” Sasuke muttered, offering his fist. The entire group stopped it’s chatter. Ekyt’s opponent was walking over.

“That was an excellent match.” Akira had a surprisingly deep voice. “I look forward to us meeting again.” Akira offered his hand. Ekyt took it, and nodded. “Likewise. Next time, we’ll get a better outcome. Although, the crowd seems to have gotten it’s money’s worth.” Akira nodded, then started to walk away. “See you in class.” He said.

As soon as Akira walked away, he suddenly pulled at his face. A much older ninja was under the mask, using some sort of genjutsu. He found the person he was supposed to meet. “All according to plan Kabuto.” Kabuto adjusted his glasses. “Very good, Lord Orochimaru and his new protégé will be happy to hear it. Keep observing him, as well as the Uchiha boy. I’ll make a report.”

“Ekyt, please come with us.” Kakashi and Asuma started to walk away. The others were discussing where to eat. “I’ll catch up, you go ahead.” Ekyt said over his shoulder. Shikamaru, Choji, Ino, Sasuke, Naruto, Sakura, Lee, Tenten, and Guy called one more round of congratulations to him, then left the arena.

In the middle of the arena, still marred from battle, in the light of a single spotlight, Anko was waiting for Kakashi, Asuma, and Ekyt. “We’ve been in contact with Anko. And we’ve noticed a couple things. Anko?” Anko was more intimidating one on one, despite being friendly. “For starters, you’ve trained harder than any other student since getting here. You’re making a great crop of friends. Studying with Sakura, training with Lee, studying those scrolls. All good things. It’s been decided you are to start training for the genin rank. Before we can classify you as an “apprentice,” you have to get good reports from your senseis. That means, on their next C or D rank mission, you’ll be accompanying first Asuma’s team, then Kakashi’s. You will be graded by them.” Ekyt cheered inwardly, but was waiting for the other shoe to drop. He prompted it. “And my team…” he asked, his voice even. The three exchanged glances. “Your team…is very behind. Well, behind you. Linda and Kayla are very talented. Kayla will make a great medic, and Linda is certainly a warrior. But, at this point, they are a hazard to you.” Ekyt bit his lip. “What happens to them?” he asked. “Nothing. They keep training, same as you. Except…” “Except?” “Except you would re-assigned to a cell that would help you improve.” Ekyt looked from one sensei to the other. Normally, he could read expressions, but theirs were hidden. “Is this a test? I would never desert my team.” Ekyt said firmly. For the first time since Ekyt had known her, she looked nervous. “Apparently, they don’t feel the same way…” she handed Ekyt a scroll, with Lord Hokage’s seal on it. Ekyt took and read it quickly. “They agreed to this? I can only think of one reason they would do that…and it’s my fault.” Ekyt closed the scroll. “Just inform us of your decision when you’re ready.” Anko said.

The clatter of chopsticks stopped momentarily when Ekyt walked in. “Linda, Kayla, could I speak with you?” Ekyt asked. His tone was even, so Linda and Kayla got up cheerily. “You agreed to this?” he hissed, holding up the scroll. “Well…yeah. Listen, we’re not close anymore, and we’ve all kind of got separate interests. I’m dating Lee, and Kayla’s after Shikamaru. We’re just getting in each other’s way.” “It’s because of my insane training, isn’t it?” Ekyt asked. “Of course not!” Linda said with a laugh. “We’ve always known you were that way, it’s never been a problem before, and it’s not now!” “And it’s not like we’ll never see each other, you know. We can still be friends…” Ekyt snapped the scroll shut. “Is this what we all want?” he asked. Linda and Kayla nodded. “It’s just too hard, there are too many memories…Chakaro took most of the good with him.” Kayla said. “It’s my fault. I’m sorry I’ve been so distant.” “Oh, that doesn’t matter. I’ve been with Lee so much…” Linda winced, realizing just how that sounded. She had just flaunted her new boyfriend in front of her old (almost) boyfriend. “Did they put you up to this?” Ekyt asked seriously. “Of course not, we would have told you!” Kayla exclaimed. Ekyt nodded. “Alright. I guess we’ll be seeing each other around then.” His voice had gone hollow on the last couple of words.

Ekyt apologized to the others for being late. “I can’t stay, I need to talk with Anko. But I really need to thank all of you for supporting me. If I can ever return the favor, I’d be honored to do so.” He replaced his toothpick and paid the bill for the whole table. Then he bowed at the door and walked outside.

The crisp night air felt good against Ekyt’s burning skin. He was in pain from the battle. But he was in more pain from his team. “They weren’t put up to it, it wasn’t a test, and they really want to go our separate ways. I can understand Linda’s motivation. Kayla worships Linda…They’ll stay together. If Chakaro was around, things would have been just fine.” He clenched a fist, shaking it silently. Sakura joined him a moment later. “Hey, you okay Ekyt?” she asked, concerned. “Ahh…yeah, I’ll be fine.” He said, hoping he sounded convincing. He didn’t, apparently, because Sakura continued. “I’m sorry about your team. They told me just after you left…they told you the truth.” Ekyt nodded. “I can always count on them for that.” “But it’s upsetting you anyway.” Sakura pointed out. “I know it’s my fault, somehow. I saw this coming. Linda and I were close for a short time. Kayla worshipped Chakaro. Linda could talk with them easy. I never could, I was the odd man out. And it was my own fault, for being stoic, and putting so much time into training. But I guess there’s no help for that. Linda doesn’t need the added pressure of feeling guilty every time she sees me, now that she’s dating Lee, I’d just be in the way. And Kayla will go with Linda…at least they’ll be together. Maybe I need a fresh start.” Sakura was surprised by his sudden admittance. “It’s nice that you’re thinking of them Ekyt. But…what do YOU want?” The question seemed to take Ekyt by surprise. “I want to be elite. To protect people I care about, and to teach others to do the same. And…to not hold my friends back…” Sakura held his hand gently, not thinking about it. “That is one thing they’ll never accuse you of. You always think of them first. It’s okay to think of yourself once in a while.” “I know. But it’s not easy for me.” Sakura suddenly realized she was still holding his hand. “Eh heh heh, sorry.” She said in embarrassment. “My fault.” He muttered. “I’d better go catch up with Kakashi-Sensei.” He sprinted off into the night. Sakura watched him go, feeling confused, but she wasn’t sure why.

“He’ll have checked with his team by now.” Anko said, eating the last of her donga. “Yes. I WISH this was a test. But his team was right, they ARE a hazard to each other. What amazes me is that Rock Lee’s actually dating a decent looking girl.” Asuma said with a chuckle, exhaling smoke. “Kayla’s still after Shikamaru. Maybe she can turn that slacker around.” Asuma continued. “I’ve noticed that Sakura has something of an interest in Ekyt. What kind, I couldn’t say. Even Sasuke and Naruto seem to like him. Which begs the question: What do we do with Ekyt after this? He needs team, but every three-man cell is full, not to mention there are no more available senseis.” They both looked to Anko. “Don’t look at me, I can’t do it. That damn mark could act up at any time, and there’s no way three genin could stop it.” She said. “I wondered how you got out of training the kids.” Asuma said with a grin. “Me saying no is the only reason YOU have a team.” Anko returned, good-naturedly. They heard a knock on the door. “Enter!” Anko barked.

Ekyt slid the door open. “I accept. I’m sorry for the wait, but I wanted to talk with my team first. It’s…only fair.” He was trying hard to keep his emotions concealed, that much they could all tell. “Very good then! You have a mission tomorrow, beginning at 7:00 pm. You’ll be with Asuma’s team of Ino Yamanaka, Choji Akimichi, and Shikamaru Nara. You know all of them, correct.” Ekyt nodded. “Very good.” “Mission specifics?” Ekyt asked. The three senseis exchanged amused glances. “You will join the four of them on a reconnaissance mission. You are to go armed. The mission is D-Ranked. Everything else will be revealed to you tomorrow.” Anko said, effectively ending the conversation. Ekyt had one more question. “Is there any way I can get a hold of a tape from the matches today?”

Linda and Kayla sighed as one. “We made the right move Kayla. There was too much tension there. Besides, Ekyt keeps reminding me of the past, just by looking at him. I want to move forward.” “I hear ya teach. It was going to happen someday. Heck, we’ll be back together! You know he’s gonna be at least a Jonin!” Linda knew she was right. But still, saying goodbye was never easy…

NEXT ISSUE: THE ACADEMY’S NEWEST THREE STUDENTS ARE GOING THEIR SEPARATE WAYS. EKYT JOINS FORCES WITH ASUMA’S TEAM, MUCH TO SAKURA’S CHAGRIN. INO, FOR HER PART, PLANS ON USING EKYT TO TORTURE SAKURA. NOT TO MENTION THE MISSION THEY’RE ON!

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on September 19, 2007, 8:39:44 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Wow! Sweet battle! A great mix of jutsu's. Now I'm kinda sad that the team is breaking up but I have to say I saw it coming. Anyway. At least there wasn't any Seiza in this chapter. Lol

SharinganKakashi on August 31, 2007, 4:00:53 PM

SharinganKakashi on
SharinganKakashiawesome storey