Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 10 - A First Time for Everything...

Your favorite pack of lovable, hard-headed ninjas in a new adventure!

Chapter 10 - A First Time for Everything...

Chapter 10 - A First Time for Everything...
Linda and Sakura were looking daggers at each other. Lee and Ekyt were in between them. “Come on, it’s just words. Take it easy!” Tenten had Sakura around the waist, while Kayla was yanking on Linda’s arm. The two girls stopped struggling, both spinning on their heal and walking away. “I’m sorry Ekyt-Sensei.” Kayla said with a glance down. “It’s okay Kayla, don’t worry about it. She just needs time to cool down.” I hope…

Ekyt got home and remembered her was still holding the package from his senseis. He opened it. Out fell a black vest, complete with makimono pouches. Ekyt put it on, finding it to be a perfect fit. “Not to mention a perfect match.” Ekyt filled the pockets with select scrolls, including the white one he was making, and he filled the inside pocket with some toothpicks. It was time to go to school. The Genin exams were today, and he was as ready as he was going to be. He had a lot of people to prove wrong. And he knew that a lot of people would be rooting for him. Almost as many as the people who DIDN’T want him to succeed.

“Listen up.” There were six Genin testing. Ekyt, Lily Korasu, and Utsuke Eiwo were the standouts. “First you will do a basic demonstration of various techniques.” Iruka told them. “We will call you forward one at a time. Failure to perform two techniques will result in your failure in the exam. Any questions so far? No. Lastly, you much show two techniques you originated. Let’s have…Ekyt up first.”

With Linda’s words still rattling around in his head, Ekyt walked forward, trying to forget every set of eyes was on him. “Perform a clone jutsu.” “How many clones?” Ekyt asked. “Three will be sufficient.”

The cavernous concrete room, with railings up on top for people to watch safely from, was packed. It seemed every Genin-hopeful had made some higher-ranked friends. Even Linda was watching, giving Ekyt a look of hatred. Naruto and Sasuke were standing with Lee and Isshin. Isshin was a new student, but he showed no shades of nervousness at being new.

“Clone jutsu!” Three Ekyt’s landed next to the real one. They were crouched in battle positions. “Very good. Maintain the clones while fighting them.” THAT was surprise. Ekyt’s clones responded to the order, surrounding Ekyt. The real Ekyt responded by looking over his shoulder and throwing two kunai that way. His clone leapt aside, giving Ekyt opportunity to escape the circle they had formed around him. He stepped back and drew his sword, a custom-made 26 ½ inch samurai blade, from his old studies. It was well maintained, and certainly got the attention of most everyone watching.

Two clones leapt from opposite sides, feet flashing out. Ekyt lowered his stance and stabbed, taking care of one clone. The other one slashed down with two kris blades, a curved Phillipino fighting machete that Ekyt was fond of. This forced Ekyt to raise his sword in a sweeping block. That knocked the two blades aside, leaving Ekyt a chance for a kick. In the same motion, Ekyt stabbed down. His clone did something peculiar then, something Ekyt would never do. The clone nodded to Ekyt and drew his dagger. Everyone watched as the clone carved a plus sign in his stomach, not uttering a sound. Then his head fell forward. Ekyt raised his sword and cut down at an angle, then twisted the blade at the last second. The clone’s head fell to the floor without rolling. In a shaking motion, Ekyt shook the blood from his sword, then drew it. He took that opportunity to look for his other clone. I was just my own Kaishaku-nin…wonder what Shihan would think of that?

He saw him, in the opening stages of a jutsu. “Dragon’s Ember Jutsu: Clone Instigation!” it called. A flame shot at Ekyt, who leapt just above it, clinging to the railing in front of the people with his legs. He quickly made a hand sign himself. “Disappearing Jutsu!” Ekyt pulled his trench coat over himself, falling to the ground silently. And invisible. “Dragon Ember Jutsu!” He called suddenly. A flame burst from one place, then another. The third one struck the clone, ending the fight.

“Very impressive Ekyt. Full marks.” After the other genin hopeful completed the test (The big surprise was Lily Korasu’s failure of this part of the test), Iruka announced the next test. “You’ve all taken the written test, and whether you knew it or not, you have been evaluated for some time. What does this mean? Well, I” Iruka stopped as Isshin and one other student leapt down into the middle of the floor. “Who the hell are you?!” Iruka asked. “You don’t know Iruka? Maybe the Uchiha boy does…or your new favorite.”

Isshin tugged at his face. A pale white face revealed itself. “Orochimaru!” Kakashi, Asuma, Guy, Iruka, and Anko all leapt forward. Most everyone backed up. Sasuke, Naruto, and Sakura leapt down from the balcony. Ekyt pulled off his trench coat. The other intruder yanked off his disguise, revealing a Sound Village headband. Ekyt narrowed his eyes stepped in front of the group. “Chakaro.”

Chakaro, even more pale than before, his long black hair pulled into a ponytail, and his black jumpsuit replaced with a black hakama and an open black gi top. “Hello…sensei.” Ekyt could FEEL the dirty looks. “I’m no longer your sensei…and I am ashamed I ever was. And I am disappointed Chakaro.” Chakaro laughed cruelly. “Do I care? No. I never cared what others thought. Thanks to Lord Orochimaru, I’ve learned the truths of life…and death. I can create both. I can cause pain. I can manipulate it, twist it, make it consume you…eat you alive.” “I don’t know what got into you Chakaro…” “The same thing that’s about to get into you!” Orochimaru said from behind Ekyt. He sank his teeth into Ekyt’s neck.

Ekyt dropped to the floor in agony. Orochimaru laughed, then started coughing, holding his tongue out in front of him. “Splinter?!” He had just bitten a log. “A substitution?” WHAM! Sasuke foot cracked Orochimaru under the chin. “Lion Barrage!” Sasuke’s brutal attack didn’t seem to do much damage to Orochimaru.

Ekyt, meanwhile, popped out near Sakura and Naruto. “THIS thing is a student of yours?” Naruto asked. “WAS. I never knew…but…Heads up!” Naruto and Sakura ducked down as shuriken whizzed by their heads, just barely missing. “I’m gonna kill him!” “No. It’s my fault, I’ll handle him.” Ekyt suddenly was thrown sideways. Chakaro appeared in front of Naruto and Sakura. His sword started to slash down. Naruto and Sakura braced themselves for the pain.

SHKIINNGGG! Naruto opened one eye. “I’m not dead?” Ekyt had recovered and blocked with his sword. He and Chakaro were shaking with the effort. Sakura and Naruto rolled away. Ekyt dodged to the side, keeping his sword in contact with Chakaro’s. He suddenly dropped it once he was out of range, thrusting toward Chakaro’s midsection. Chakaro blocked down, then tried to cut Ekyt’s thumb. Ekyt gave his blade a push forward, forcing Chakaro to back up. High, Low, High. Their swords flashed together, causing sparks to fly all over.

Orochimaru and Sasuke were dueling. It quickly became apparent that Sasuke was overmatched, so the sensei’s swarmed over. Naruto ran over too, with Orochimaru using an incredible amount of jutsus. “How deep does his chakra run?” Iruka yelled in frustration. Finally, Orochimaru had to concede defeat. He had wounded almost every sensei in some way, shape, or form. “Chakaro! Time to go! We’ll pick out enemies off one by one!”

Chakaro and Ekyt’s swords had clattered to the floor long ago. Taijutsu took over. Chakaro was a natural at it, and he had the upper hand for a while. Ekyt fought back. “You’ve gotten stronger Ekyt! But you were right, I DID outdistance you, and quicker than I expected! I’ve been here long enough to know about you and Linda…Does this seem familiar? SAND SHURIKEN!” Ekyt watched in horror as the sandy blades sped toward Sakura. Ekyt leapt in front of her, several striking him, knocking him to the ground. “Ekyt!” she drew her kunai as she knelt near him. “I won’t let you hurt him!” “Out of the way girl! No need for you to die too…I just want him…”

Ekyt dimly registered what was going on. His body went on auto-pilot, making hand signs as he lay on the floor, slowly bleeding to death. Chakaro was getting closer. “SAND SHURIKEN!” he shouted. Ekyt’s voice cut him off. “DRAGON’S EMBER JUTSU!” The sand that was about to his Sakura was fused into glass. Ekyt pulled himself to his feet, stepping to the other side of the mirror. “Bra-vo.” Chakaro taunted. “I thought so!” From behind him, Ekyt had struck, then snatched Chakaro into place for his backward Konoha Snap Dragon. But he was joined by his clone, doubling the effectiveness of the move. BLLAAMMMMMM!

Ekyt’s clone disappeared as soon as he hit the ground, with it’s controller unconscious. The sand shuriken dotting his body fell to the floor, with no chakra left to maintain it. Ekyt was totally vulnerable when Orochimaru suddenly made his move, going for the neck.

“Oh no, if that mark hits him…”Anko broke into a run, but fell to the ground herself, next to Sasuke. Their curse marks flared up. Orochimaru didn’t want them interfering. As Orochimaru’s body stayed still, his neck extended across the room, aiming for the defenseless Ekyt’s neck.

“No you don’t!” Sakura shouted. She leapt to her feet in front of Ekyt and slashed her blade, cutting Orochimaru’s forehead. “You’ve already gotten one friend, you’re not getting another!” She slashed again. Orochimaru’s head snapped back to where it belonged. “You have just assured your fate, girl! Chakaro, come!” In a puff of smoke, they disappeared.

Ekyt, Sasuke, Anko, and Naruto were the wounded this time around. Ekyt’s wounds were healed, largely thanks to Sakura. His only problem was a slightly sore right forearm. Sasuke and Anko were alright again, their marks sealed once again. Naruto, however, was another story…

“BROKEN LEG? I DON’T BELIEVE IT! WHAT AM I GONNA DO FOR FOUR WEEKS? WHAT ABOUT ME TEAM! I’M THE HEART AND SOUL, THEY CAN’T GO WITHOUT ME!” “Shut up loser.” Kakashi said from the next bed. It was the one that Sasuke had vacated, and Kakashi took it up to read his book. “Someone will cover for you until you’re well. Don’t worry, you hyperactive knucklehead ninja, your spot is safe.”

Sakura asked Ekyt to take a walk with her. She chose the rock path with the cherry blossoms. They were falling to the ground in a slight breeze that was tossing her hair. For some reason, that got Ekyt’s attention. “I just…wanted to thank you for saving me.” Sakura blurted out, blushing. “Oh, no problem!” Ekyt managed to say. Sakura looked at his arm. “What happened there?” she asked, pointing at his bandaged right forearm. “Just a cut.” Ekyt said evasively. Ekyt had his hands in his vest pockets, looking at the cherry blossoms. He was never much of a landscape person, but even he admitted that this was nice, calming. Then he felt Sakura’s hand on his hurt forearm. Then he felt her other hand on his other forearm, one that wasn’t bandaged. He hadn’t put his coat on, it was still too early in fall for that, despite the breeze. Sakura was suddenly blushing. Ekyt wondered why. Then he figured it out. “I always dreamed of kissing a boy in the cherry blossoms. I guess every girl has that fantasy. Kind of like you guys have that fantasy about us in school uniforms.” Ekyt blushed, chuckling. “That’s not a fantasy I’ve ever had.” Sakura still had her hands on his forearms. With a shaking hand, she reached up and plucked the toothpick out of his mouth. Then, making sure no one was looking, she slid the mask down around his neck. Gathering up her courage, she kissed him. It looked like Sakura had gotten her fantasy, kissing a boy under the cherry blossoms. She had always thought it would be Sasuke. She wasn’t ready to give up on him yet. But she could hardly, in sound mind, ignore the boy who had saved her life twice. She replaced his mask, smiling sheepishly at his wide eye. “I had to say thanks.” She managed to say, shrugging slightly. Ekyt, for his part, was standing up almost perfectly straight out of shock. “I-thanks-no problem.” Sakura suddenly realized something. “That was my first kiss.” “Same here. I mean, the first time I’ve been kissed.” Ekyt said in amazement.

“You tramp!” Linda flew out of the bushes at Sakura. “What?! How dare you call me a tramp? You should talk!” “Girls, c’mon! You don’t need to do this!” Linda snarled “She kissed you! She’s after that other guy, Sasuke!” “I thanked him for saving my life, which is more than you ever did!” “How dare you? Are you saying I’m not thankful!” “Exactly!” “OKAY!” Ekyt shouted. The girls stopped their fight, looking at him in surprise. “We’re going to settle this. Now. Linda, you can’t accuse Sakura of anything, she hasn’t done anything wrong. She’s been a friend to me. You know what that means to me. I don’t want two of my best friends fighting, there’s no reason. You both seem to be watching out for my well-being. And I don’t deny I need it. But this has got to stop. Linda, I don’t pounce on Lee unless we’re training. How about we put all this aside?” Sakura seemed ready to accept. Linda, however, snapped. “You don’t know what’s best for you, do you? Chakaro and Orochimaru could have killed you. All the sensei all the floor, and you fight Chakaro, the most promising student that ever came through the school.” “You know that was personal Linda. You would have done the same thing.” That seemed to trump Linda’s argument. “Fine. But you keep your loose lips to yourself!” she shouted the last part at Sakura. “I’ll make out with him if I want, don’t you tell me what to do!” At Ekyt’s stunned look, Sakura put her arm behind her head. “Okay, that might have been a little overboard…” Oh boy, him and Sasuke! Who to choose…Why can’t I have both?! Now THERE is a fantast, Cha!

“I hope I’m not interrupting any thing.” Iruka had snuck up on the two of them in confusion. “Of course not Iruka-Sensei!” exclaimed Sakura. “Well, if I might borrow Ekyt, he’s got one more part of the genin test.” “I thought I was done. What do I need to do?” Iruka indicated that Sakura and Ekyt should follow him.

In Naruto’s hospital room, Asuma, Guy, Kakashi, Anko, and Iruka had gathered. “We’ve all had a hand in your training Ekyt. So, without further ado, the last part of your test…” Ekyt widened his stance into a guard. “Close your eyes.” Iruka said. After a few seconds, he said “Okay, open them.” Ekyt did, and saw the smiles everyone was sporting (He thought Kakashi was sporting one, at least). “The acceptance. You passed, Number 1 in the class. So…congratulations.” Iruka and Ekyt bowed to each other, with Ekyt taking the Hitai Ate offered to him. “You are now a Genin, and in effect, a citizen, of the Village Hidden in the Leaves.”

The sensei’s, Sasuke, Sakura, and Ekyt went for ramen afterward. Ekyt paid, partially out of respect, partially because he had a question for them. “I know genin are usually assigned to a three-man cell with others based on their grades. But I’m the only one who passed the test. So what happens to me?” Kakashi was the ranking member, so he spoke up. “In the long term, you’ll get a sensei and a team of your own. For now, you’ve got your first assignment. You are to join me, Sasuke, and Sakura on a mission, maybe more than one, depending on how quickly Naruto heals.” “And, until we find you a permanent sensei, you’ll rotate between the four of us. When you’re with Guy-Sensei, Asuma-Sensei, or Kakashi-Sense, you’ll have missions, sometimes solo, sometimes on a team. When you’re working with me, you’ll be helping train others, or having solo missions, or helping me out.” Ekyt couldn’t help but feel like he was getting a great deal. Three elite and one highly respected chunin…Then I’m part of all the Konoha elite teams…Sakura kissed me…I passed my exams…Sakura kissed me…Aside from getting my butt kicked, this was a great day.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on October 9, 2007, 7:50:20 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Great chapter. This story is getting really good. Every chapter makes it better. I LOVE IT!

SharinganKakashi on September 8, 2007, 3:51:31 PM

SharinganKakashi on
SharinganKakashiawesome ^_^